(732)Shootremington

Wilson combat parts

I have a Remington 1911 R1 and want to put some Wilson combat parts on it. If I buy a drop in wilson beaver tail grip safety along with a Wilson combat hammer are there other parts internally I will have to replace also? I'm putting a new trigger in also, I may use an STI trigger or stay with Wilson for it. Any advice would help. Thanks

You can use the sear and the original hammer strut with the wilson grip safey and hammer. BTW, there is still some fitting involved even with "drop-in" parts for a 1911. You might also want to consider Ed Brown parts.

BTW, you might want to have a gunsmith do the work for you unless you're very familiar with the inner workings of 1911's.

The hammer should be drop in but you might need to stone it for a good pull since your sear might be mated to the original hammer already from firing the gun. You might as well just get a hammer/sear set from Cylinder/Slide and it should give you a decent pull just from dropping everything in.

The beavertail will need a lot of fitting work for it to look decent.

The words drop-in, 1911, and safety together in a sentence means that you're in for some fitting. If you understand how the 1911 works, fitting your own safeties (grip and thumb) is not terribly difficult. I've done two thumb safeties and one grip safety with no issues.

I've also put in 3 triggers, two Wilson round butt mainspring housings, and various other 1911 parts, and I am definitely not a gunsmith. I'm just a mechanically inclined tinkerer.

Well, for grip safeties, there's difference in fitting it for it to work and blending it so that all the lines and radious line up. If you want it to look pretty then you should have a gunsmith do it. Otherwise you'll have an not so pretty gap.

Poorly blended grip safeties and those drop in Wilson's bother me like a "wart". :wild: If you can live with it, fine. But a nicely installed Wilson, Ed Brown, S&A grip safety is very much worth the cost and trouble in the long run.

BTW, those Remy 1911's have a series 80 safety, right? Make sure you get the correct grip safety for it.