Fat_Dave

Hello from Gloucester Township! Have some questions.

Hey everyone,

My name is Dave and I'm from Gloucester Township and live in a little town named Glendora. Anyway I'm looking to purchase some handguns and start shooting. For fun at first, and eventually I want to try and break into competition shooting. I've been researching for a while now and I know what is required to purchase a handgun in our wonderful state of ridiculous rules and regulations lol.

I am going to my local PD to get all the forms sometime this week. I'm wondering if there are any members on here from Gloucester Township and if so how long did it take for the PD to process everything. Also can I just stop by the station and pick everything up, or should I call first?

Also I plan on going to the Philadelphia Gun Expo in February and hopefully purchasing a handgun. I read the laws on buying handguns in and out of state but they were unclear to me. Do I need a permit and an FPID to purchase a handgun and ammo there since its a gun show?

I've also been reading that a Glock 17/35 is a good first gun for starters in competition. Thoughts?

Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Dave

welcome.gif

From Winslow Twp.

You can pay for a handgun out of state, but it must be shipped to a NJ delaer to transfer to you on a "Permit to Purchase".

You may purchase long guns from a PA dealer with your "FPID".

Welcome, good to see another South Jersey shooter. If you havent applied for your ID card or pistol permits yet, theres a good chance your not going to have them by the Feb 11 gun show. You can buy ammo at the gun show even if you dont have a FPID, just not any firearms. Good luck.

Welcome to the forum , going to the gun shows are great but to purchase handguns not so much , look into local shops such as Arms an Ammo in Winslow or Butchs in Vineland or Bobs in Glassboro , they usually offer just as good prices , especially A&A in Winslow ...

Another +1 for Arms and Ammo, just bought a handgun there saturday and had a great experience.

I'm from gloucester twp as well. Can't say anything about the initial issue, but when they took care of changing my address and issuing me three permits. It was a bit of a pain, it took a few calls to the Chief's office to follow up. Once I got ahold of someone they were extremely helpful. Approx. eight weeks from dropping off the paperwork to a new FID and permits. They did handle permit extensions in an odd way. They had me drop off my unused permits about a week before they expired and typed up new ones instead of filling in the renewal box.

Hi Dave,

I had a good experience with these guys...

http://www.lawmensupply.com/Index.html

I purchased a Glock 19 and love it. Easy to shoot. Easy to clean.

The permit process is cumbersome. You can get the form from here:

http://www.njsp.org/info/forms.html#firearms

The chief of police will need to ultimately sign your form. His secretary (Dawn?) is very helpful.

Good luck.

Mike

Hello and WELCOME!!! The Glock 17 is a 9mm and the Glock 35 is a .40. The Glock 17 is a great all around gun, HD, plinking and comp. The 34/35 is the "Practical/Tactical" line used for mostly competition and special weapons teams. You would be better off putting money down on something in this state and just waiting for the permits. Buying in PA they have to ship to NJ with shipping fees a dealer is gonna charge u transfer fees here and prob NICS? (Guessing). Take advantage of the price request here. Welcome!

Greetings from Cherry Hill.

Get moving now if you want you FID.... You will not have the PPD by Feb... maybe March. As others have stated, no buying handguns out of state without transferring through a local NJ FFL holder. This is an unnecessary expense. Simply use the qoute function here and get a price on your Glock of choice.

As an aside, if your set on a glock, Look into the GSSF program on Glocks www site. Join for $35 and then buy one glock a year at a reduced GSSF Member price, usually about the LEO price, maybe $10 more. Example... G19 in store usually $550. I think the GSSF price is $475.

Greetings from Cherry Hill.

Get moving now if you want you FID.... You will not have the PPD by Feb... maybe March. As others have stated, no buying handguns out of state without transferring through a local NJ FFL holder. This is an unnecessary expense. Simply use the qoute function here and get a price on your Glock of choice.

As an aside, if your set on a glock, Look into the GSSF program on Glocks www site. Join for $35 and then buy one glock a year at a reduced GSSF Member price, usually about the LEO price, maybe $10 more. Example... G19 in store usually $550. I think the GSSF price is $475.

LEO price 398 ;)

LEO price 398 ;)

Yep... just found the suggested price list.

http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pistol_Purchase_Program_Information.pdf

It is $425 for a G19 I used in the example above. It is a great program and a fantastic way to support a company that really supports the shooting community. Like the guns or not... Glock is there for us shooters.