alex22

which 9mm?

Glock 19 is good all around. Gen 4 is not bad.

yes... I said it.

Other fine alternatives.

Any CZ,

M&P 9

Sig 226/229

hk p30

Tanfoglio/Witness

lets put it this way, almost anything that costs more than $400 new will be just fine.

Try and then Buy, but if you are asking for opinions read this:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/04/ryan-finn/gun-review-glock-g19-gen4/

Glock 19-by far the best, hands down, bar none, takes the cake, first at the finish line, early bird gets the worm, etc...;)

• Like 1

You can't go wrong with the Beretta 92FS/M9, Sig P226 or Glock 19. All of them are good guns. They all have .22 LR conversion kits. Your preference depends on if you want to be John McClain, Jack Bauer, or Mike Lowery. I'm more of a John McClain kind of guy

The PX4 Compact is worth a look as well. I don't know why this gun hasn't blown other competitors out of the water. $525 price tag. Small enough to carry but big enough to shoot comfortable. 15 round Jersey legal magazines and virtually no recoil due to the rotating barrel. What is not to love? Probably the lightest recoiling non .22 gun I've ever shot.

The M&P9 is everything that Glock should have been and worth a look if the Glock grip angle is not to your liking. No conversion kit but you can get an M&P .22 that looks just like it.

• Like 1

If you're going to consider a Glock, make sure you also hold and try a Smith & Wesson M&P too. Ask for the "Pro Series" in 9mm. Comes with either a 4.25" (night sights) or 5" barrel (fiber optic). Consider the 5" barrel if you intend to game.

I asked this question before, but I am really interested in this because I am also going to be buying a 9 mm for target practice/plinking (and as the backup home defense gun) -- why the Glock 19 instead of the 17? We don't have concealed carry in this state, so why not the larger frame? If it is just for target practice, does the larger magazine of the 19 make that much of a difference?

ETA: I read this review, which just reinforced my question -- if you cannot carry, why not the G17 over the 19?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/05/ryan-finn/gun-review-glock-gen4-comparison-g17-g19-g26/

The 17 is not much bigger but due to magazine restrictions in this state you can can 15 rounders for the G19 and only 10 rounders for the G17. Mag capacity is a big factor in some peoples eyes. I carry the 19 and 26 off-duty and probably could carry the 17 just as comfortable but even as an LEO I cant have the Hi-Caps without dept. letterhead.

Is it illegal to use glock 19 mags on a 17?

The 17 mags with fit a 19 and 26 as well as a 17L and Glock 34, because they are longer in length. They stick out of the bottom of the 19 and 26 because of that. The Glock 19 mags are shorter to match the Glock 19's grip length.

Although I believe PK90 a member here and shop owner permanately alters Glock 17, 17 rounders to only hold 15 which is good to go by law, because they can never be converted back to hold 17.

My preference is to avoid modified 17 round magazines. In order to meet the legal requirement of permanent modification, you lose the ability to disassemble and clean the magazine which makes it a no-go for me. And I am not willing to accept a 10 round magazine for a full sized pistol designed for 17.

I would take a 15 round G19 over a 10 round G17 any time. The M&P 9mm is designed for 17 but S&W offer factory 15 rounders which is what I use.

If it's purely a gaming pistol, then take a look at a 1911. RIA tactical is nice and less than $500. For a little more, you can get an STI Spartan...mine should be arriving at my FFL tomorrow!

If you want a polymer, then definitely take a look at the M&P. If possible, feel it and shoot it before you make your final decision.

You can actually chop the grip down on a glock 17 to fit the 15 round glock 19 mags. This way you get the longer slide/weight/sight radius of the glock 17, with the capacity of the glock 19

That's an excellent point. If I were looking at a Glock i would strongly consider it. However I think such a modification would disqualify you from USPSA Production or IDPA SSP if that's the OP's intent.

You can actually chop the grip down on a glock 17 to fit the 15 round glock 19 mags. This way you get the longer slide/weight/sight radius of the glock 17, with the capacity of the glock 19

Good point but I don't wanna damage my gun. Thanks for the heads up