TheLugNutZ

Updates on Range 14 construction?

Anyone been out there lately?

I was thinking about going out there tomorrow morning...

Last time I went the wait was over 2hrs (even for the pistol side) and that was at like 9am.

if you're in neptune, you might as well join Monmouth Rifle club. Forget about any waitlists or construction, go shoot when you want to, its closer and its only marginally more expensive than R14! I made the jump after being told way too many times at R14 that i can only shoot for an hour and i'll have to wait 2 hours before i can even do it!

Anyone been out there lately?

I was thinking about going out there tomorrow morning...

Last time I went the wait was over 2hrs (even for the pistol side) and that was at like 9am.

If you do go, come back and tell us how it went. I've been curious for a while about how the construction/crowd control has been going, but it's too far of a drive for me to just "stop by" and check it out.

I went on Saturday to the pistol range. People were still using the riffel range but I did not notic how many tables there were. I also did not see any construction going on( no cat trucks or anything of the sort).

Sorry could not be more helpfully but I just wasent thinking about looking at what construction was going on.

From the conversation I had with Kevin, they do all the construction during the weekdays, and the timeframe they're looking at is sometime in February-- but that it's fluid... obviously, haha.

I also went this past Sunday, and though it was an epic waste of my time (that's a different story), it looks like they had added some more of the concrete for more of the rifle range compared to three weeks ago when I had gone. I'm not sure what their plan is though for the rifle range when they do get to those last few tables that are open right now-- if they'll close that whole part of the range until construction is complete, or whatnot.

Honestly, trying to get a spot on the weekends is quite frustrating, though I'm not sure about Wednesdays.

I hear they allow .22 rifles on the handgun range..? I have a new Henry that I could shoot while waiting for a spot on the rifle range if that's the case. Either way it's just frustrating. I guess it'll be better in the long run, but for now, it's been a couple months and all I've been hearing is how hard it is to get a spot.

Have no class on Wednesdays this semester, so hopefully it's not as crowded on Wednesdays and I can get some time in.

Yea, I've seen 22 rifles on the pistol range for awhile now-- of course you should call them up to confirm this.

Of course. Been meaning to call for a while now just to get a general idea of how far along they are, expected completion date, crowd control in the interim, etc.

if you're in neptune, you might as well join Monmouth Rifle club. Forget about any waitlists or construction, go shoot when you want to, its closer and its only marginally more expensive than R14! I made the jump after being told way too many times at R14 that i can only shoot for an hour and i'll have to wait 2 hours before i can even do it!

Jon, what do they let you shoot at Monmouth? Is that the one behind the airport?

Jon, what do they let you shoot at Monmouth? Is that the one behind the airport?

Yes, right behind the airport. There are very few restrictions there, just your typical general range safety rules. You can shoot pretty much any caliber as far as i know (i shoot everything from 22 to 308 there).

From the conversation I had with Kevin, they do all the construction during the weekdays, and the timeframe they're looking at is sometime in February-- but that it's fluid... obviously, haha.

I also went this past Sunday, and though it was an epic waste of my time (that's a different story), it looks like they had added some more of the concrete for more of the rifle range compared to three weeks ago when I had gone. I'm not sure what their plan is though for the rifle range when they do get to those last few tables that are open right now-- if they'll close that whole part of the range until construction is complete, or whatnot.

Honestly, trying to get a spot on the weekends is quite frustrating, though I'm not sure about Wednesdays.

Ben, if you ever want to go shoot at Central Jersey on a weekend, shot me a PM. I like to head over with Keith, JimmyAGR, Regulator72, Bry2n, etc.

Was at Range 14 yesterday. Was in line by 12:30, they opened at 1:00. Got a pistol table with no problem. They did only have 3 rifle benches open though. That's all there are! The rest are gone due to the construction. They have the concrete slab poured about two thirds the length of the rifle area, but that's it. No roofing structure or benches yet. Once the constrution is complete they say there will be 21 rifle benches compared to the 15 that they did have. They said construction was due for completeion by the end of February but it isn't looking that way.

Was there for 2 hours and by the time I left the place was almost empty.

Was at Range 14 yesterday. Was in line by 12:30, they opened at 1:00. Got a pistol table with no problem. They did only have 3 rifle benches open though. That's all there are! The rest are gone due to the construction. They have the concrete slab poured about two thirds the length of the rifle area, but that's it. No roofing structure or benches yet. Once the constrution is complete they say there will be 21 rifle benches compared to the 15 that they did have. They said construction was due for completeion by the end of February but it isn't looking that way.

thank you for the update. so much for range 14 this weekend :(

It was suppose to be end of the year. Then it turned into end of January. Now end of February. Soon it will be end of March...

And the winter has been so mild with a lack of snow you would think any reasonable projected time line could actually have them AHEAD of schedule. But of course that wouldn't make sense...

Well, duh,its a gov't project, you oughta know how those go :) Espeically now that the USAF has taken that sorta stuff over at JBMDL. I am surprised its even open anymore, soon you will need to take a week long Range Safety course before you can shoot there.

It was suppose to be end of the year. Then it turned into end of January. Now end of February. Soon it will be end of March...

And the winter has been so mild with a lack of snow you would think any reasonable projected time line could actually have them AHEAD of schedule. But of course that wouldn't make sense...

I'm assuming they are still limiting people to 1 hour also?

Went there today at 8am.. (was there Saturday shooting too).. (I forgot they open at 1pm on Wed)..

Anyway.. they got the roof up for the entire length of that concrete pad they had put down..

I'll snap a pic at 1pm when I go back and put it up later..

Went there today at 8am.. (was there Saturday shooting too).. (I forgot they open at 1pm on Wed)..

Anyway.. they got the roof up for the entire length of that concrete pad they had put down..

I'll snap a pic at 1pm when I go back and put it up later..

Is the roof one continuous run? Are they still going to put down more concrete and roof for more tables or do you think they are done with the project?

In my shooting post from Saturday I mentioned the worked said 1 roof..

But yes.. 1 continuous roof line.. The concretes ends VERY abruptly currently with rebar hanging out the end..

The benches are there in the middle of the field as of this morning still.. worker said they were PINE and not finished and sat for about 3 weeks so far.. :(

I don't think its done yet.. also the rates are $4/hour now.

I'll snnap some pics today..

Thanks for the update! I think range 14 is good for the occasional shooter. My son visits a couple of times a year and wants to go shoot, Range 14 is perfect for that. The yearly is cheap and $4.00 an hour is not going to break anybody. You really have to shoot a lot to justify the initial and yearly costs of OB or CJ. Granted, they do offer more amenities, hours, events, etc. But is does not come cheap.

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like they are making progress? Now all they have to do is complete the slab and mount the tables? I am a little surprised they did not make the tables out of pressure treated lumber instead of Pine?