TheLugNutZ

Updates on Range 14 construction?

Today, I received a lecture from a Range 14 staff member about the Youtube video that I posted earlier in this thread. I was accused of the following:

1. Not staying behind the posts and "advancing on the target". Basically my movement on the concrete blocks at the pistol range was the issue. I took two steps forward to adjust my position and posture which I could hardly call "advancing on the target". The fact that the range safety officer at the time did not have a problem with my use of the range and that I was accused almost 2 months later of the situation in question makes me a bit skeptical. For a portion of the range that does not have clearly defined boundaries like the new rifle lanes, my movement seemed within the realm of reason.

2. Cross lane shooting. Surprising because the video does not show where any of my bullets landed. The video was taken from the side so it's at an angle to the lane.

As an infantry officer, having taken Fort Dix's Range Control safety class, having been the OIC for many ranges (individual weapons qual, zero, individual movement technique, crew-served weapons zero and qual), having a decent amount of information imparted on me from experienced NCOs... believe it or not... I'm not clueless when it comes to range safety.

I'm sure quite a few staff members of Range 14 or their friends are on this forum and it does not bother me in the slightest bit.

Anyone remember that entire debacle with Fishpaw on AR15.com and Range 14?

I'm considering OBRPC or CJRPC. It seems they would cater to something I'm more interested in.

In the spirit of posting Youtube videos:

I just watched the video and I didn't see what they were complaining about. Loved the strong and weak arm work in the beginning! Great video, thanks for sharing!

They were complaining about this:

I will admit, some of the complaints are legitimate. But how it happened was quite astonishing. I was basically told to stay in the lobby. This man goes onto the computer they use for Hunting & Fishing licenses and insists that I watch the video again. He then logs onto his Facebook account. Scrolls through his wall until he finds where a friend posted the video on his wall. And then proceeds to accuse me of a laundry list of violations along with the two that specifically did not make sense which I posted above.

Big brother is in full swing at Range 14.

This was almost two months after the event (video recording took place) happened.

In fact, here's the list of their own rules: http://www.range-14.com/rules.html

As for the construction, they have 7 rifle lanes open now. They don't have the remaining rifle lanes open because there are not enough flags yet.

It just goes to show you be very careful what you post on line. You never know who is looking at it.

I'm hoping they finish the darn range... will finally get some time to shoot soon.

TC

I posted it online with the expectation that everyone with an internet connection may look at it. Otherwise, I would not have done so.

And guess what! I have no plans to delete it! And! I don't care if they are reading this.

The fact that the majority of the things I was accused of are simply "suspicions" based on an inconclusive video two months after said event when the RSO at the time had no problem with it makes me feel like someone just had an ax to grind. Again, that is just my opinion.

Anyone been out there lately?

I was thinking about going out there tomorrow morning...

Last time I went the wait was over 2hrs (even for the pistol side) and that was at like 9am.

I grew up and graduated from Neptune.

I belong to CJRPC in Jackson. If you want to check it out, LMK

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Range fires are generally started buy tracers, usually from machine guns. I have seen many a range fire in my time. There were times at Fort Dix where we had to pull all the tracers out of the ammo belts to avoid fires. With the high winds today it must have been tough to fight. Since tracers are illegal for civilians to own in NJ it couldn't have come from range 14. We all know how effective gun control laws are at stopping wrong doing.(said tongue in cheek)

TC

Range fires are generally started buy tracers, usually from machine guns. I have seen many a range fire in my time. There were times at Fort Dix where we had to pull all the tracers out of the ammo belts to avoid fires. With the high winds today it must have been tough to fight. Since tracers are illegal for civilians to own in NJ it couldn't have come from range 14. We all know how effective gun control laws are at stopping wrong doing.(said tongue in cheek)

TC

Another possibility is from controlled burns.

If anyone was around Range Road around 9-11 MAR you would have seen a "controlled" burn become completely "uncontrollable".

Aren't "magnetic" rounds a concern at some ranges (especially in dry areas) because they can cause sparks? Sounds like another excuse to control people more than a legitimate reason, though.

I wasn't necessarily implying the shooting may have caused the fire; a carelessly tossed cigarette or cigar could do it too.

Aren't "magnetic" rounds a concern at some ranges (especially in dry areas) because they can cause sparks? Sounds like another excuse to control people more than a legitimate reason, though.

I wasn't necessarily implying the shooting may have caused the fire; a carelessly tossed cigarette or cigar could do it too.

That's what I thought you meant as well. I doubt that the shooting would have caused a fire unless someone was shooting tracers.

I remember when I went to an airsoft training thing at R14, the ground was pretty darn dry then too. We were actually warned to take extra care putting our cigarettes out, the area is pretty dry. I don't think it really can be totally helped, just about anything could start it there. People just need to be careful.

My nephew and I went to Range 14 today to finally unharness the goodness that is named Mosin, and had a terrific time. Except for the stiff breeze blowing, conditions were perfect. The renovated range is a huge improvement, with plenty of room between stations, new lighting, sturdy benches, etc. They could, of course, provide more post hole diggers, but why quibble? Got there at 1:30, started shooting at 1:50 and stayed until 3:50.

No lines to speak of, and I'd estimate that at no time were more than 12-15 lanes in use. Good to see the amount of young people shooting today, with several families on either side of us enjoying the range. All of the anti-nonsense aside, I'd say the recreational shooting activity has a great future.

The wildfires came perilously-close to the skeet range, with the treeline on both sides of the Range 14 access road totally charred.

Great news, Now I've got to get some time to go.

Remember Fort Dix is a military base and they use tracers in all machine gun ammo. Range 14 is in the middle of an active military base that can see everything from 9mm to 155mm in use on a weekend, range one to range 81 wrap around the impact area.. These fires may not have been started by tracers but alot of others have been.

TC