Sign in to follow this  
Underdog

Skylands Sport Shop - Sussex County

Skylands Sport Shop has moved out of Newton to Agusta. It is now just passed the NJ State Police and in the same complex as the Agusta Post Office. It is larger now and seems to be quite nice. However...

I went out of my way to stop at the store and buy some sundry items to support the store and checkout the new setup, and as usual, the owner, Cliff, had an attitude and didn't give me the time of day.

Previously I had gone and inquired about ordering a specific gun, etc., and he wasn't really interested in locating for me what I wanted and its not like he had a lot in stock to offer as an alternative. I don't get it. Why wouldn't help me locate what I wanted and indicated that because it was a new item he probably couldn't get it and left it at that. I suggested that I find it, then, and have it sent to his store. Again, he so much as said it wasn't worth his time. He was complaining about his lack of buisness to me, a paying customer, and how little he made off of the transaction.

He wanted me to essentially pay more than full-price, etc. for his service (many others locally are cheaper with transfers), and yet he didn't take the extra steps to make me feel he cared about what I was looking for. His transfer fees are higher than others, as I have said.

So, if he is not making a lot on the order, at least he is getting me as customer and I would pickup some targets, hunting items, ammo, etc. as well when in the store, and word-of-mouth recommendation... but NO. And, if he treated me nice, maybe next time I would purchase that gun he had behind the counter for $700.

On quite a few occasions, his wife was helpful and interested in my business and attempted to locate what I wanted, specifically, but not him. I felt he could have cared less. I may not be back, as I have other options and its out of my way now that he moved.

I don't get it. Do these dealers think that we the patrons have attitudes. When I get some other specialized sporting equipment, etc. I am not treated this way.

If he is making money off of me over a transfer for something he doesn't have in stock and has little inclination to get, he deserves less business than he would otherwise get.

I've never bought a gun from him, but have bought some ammo and other supplies and he was always helpful. Whenever I go in there I need to always make sure that I have enough time because he is the type that likes to talk in my experience. I guess that I am just used to dealing with guys like him so he doesen't bother me. Maybe you caught him on a bad day? Not that that is a excuse for bad customer service.

• Like 1

Maybe, but I have purchased guns from him. I will give another chance because I wouldn't want him to go out of business and for there to be one less option.

I had a similar experience with him when they were at the Newton location. He didn't seem to want to give me the time of day. I hadn't yet bought a gun and went in to look and ask questions. My old baseball coach was in there and the three of us had a decent non gun conversation. Once I started asking typical noobie questions he lost interest.

Simon Peter was out of something one day and I decided to give him another chance. I saw an XD in his case listed as 9mm with a 13 round magazine. I asked if Springfield had new mag capacities and to see the gun. Once we figured out that it was a .40 he was pretty good with me. Apparently until I proved that I knew something I wasn't worth his time. His wife has however gone out of her way for me. I asked about CLP one day and she said they didn't carry it. Walmart has it and I told her that I was trying to support the shop, she said she would order some and had it the next time I was in there.

Now they are a 3 minute walk from my house so I use them more, but I'm still not sold on them.