bulpup

Newark. Is it safe?

THis is an odd question but I have to ask it. I know Newark has seen some pretty high crime but my wife has been out of work for 10 months and has a pretty good line for a job in Newark. It would be a nearly 9-5 job and she would take the train to and from Newark Broad street.

We really need her emplyed again but I have my fears. She is 50 not at all inclined to accept that there are bad people out there. We did move here from Queens and she worked in Manhattan, but I don't know anything about Newark at all.

any insight?

My mother was in University Hospital for a couple of weeks recently. So I spent a fair amount of time going in and out of Newark.

My opinion is that during daylight you just have to be aware and you'll do okay. Once the sun goes down all bets are off.

I work in Newark for many many years, use mass transit and as long as you are aware of your surroundings you will be fine... there are bad guys anywhere you go besides just newark, I feel the thugs look for easy targets for example "pulling wallets full of money out in the open" , "people with purses or backpacks wide open, phone, wallets exposed." but if your smart, don't look like a target you will be fine...

During the day by the train station is not bad. My sister-in-law works for Pridential off rt21. There is a large police presence bc they cannot afford to have crime scare away the tourists or business professionals. With that said, always pay attention to your surroundings and you should be fine. Packing some OC isnt a bad idea, either.

I love the signs along the Garden State Parkway highlighting the important exits for newark, you know the Performing Arts Center etc. Those in the know consider them more as warning signs "NOT" to exit there, nor anywhere else nearby either like Irvington etc. You have to be especially careful about a month or two before Christmas as the local Christmas shoppers will consider you an easy stocking to pick.

SpecialK - Great Video, thanks for sharing! (yea it's a spoof but not too far off.)

During the day by the train station is not bad. My sister-in-law works for Pridential off rt21. There is a large police presence bc they cannot afford to have crime scare away the tourists or business professionals. With that said, always pay attention to your surroundings and you should be fine. Packing some OC isnt a bad idea, either.

That's the area the job is at too. Thanks for the info.

I'm a union carpenter worked all over Newark. She be fine during the day but at night get in your car and go. But during the day bad also I was on a job and there was shootings right across the street and I'm in the machine. Sometimes I wish we ccw so I'm protected. Wish your wife luck and she will be fine.

I went to school in Newark in the late 80's and early 90's prior to the revitalization. Because of the area and hours you are describing, I wouldn't have any fears about sending my own wife in there for work. I would send her there before I would send her to Paterson. Furthermore, she should quickly make friends who have the same hours as she would and walk with them to and from the train. But I would tell anyone to do the same thing if working in NYC Paradiso De Bloomberg.

I never felt threatened in Newark around the train station during the day. If she can work out a deal with her employer that she leaves before dark, she'll be fine. Get her a pepper blaster and work on her being alert to her surroundings. Cross the street if you have to, to hell what people think of you. A group of young men of any race is bad mojo. Also, get her in the habit of not carrying a big bag. I.e. have her harden her own target, also ditch the heels. No yammering on the phone until she's on the train and away.

If she needs the work, go for it.

I never felt threatened in Newark around the train station during the day. If she can work out a deal with her employer that she leaves before dark, she'll be fine. Get her a pepper blaster and work on her being alert to her surroundings. Cross the street if you have to, to hell what people think of you. A group of young men of any race is bad mojo. Also, get her in the habit of not carrying a big bag. I.e. have her harden her own target, also ditch the heels. No yammering on the phone until she's on the train and away.

No texting until she's sitting on the train either. Situational awareness is imperative - not so much on day one but 6 months in when she begins to become a creature of habit. She needs to keep her head on a swivel. Also, just to reiterate - that group of thugs will be less likely to attack a group of women or men and women traveling together.

I worked as a consultant for Prudential for a few months in 2007. During the day it was fine in the business area. People walking around, grabbing lunch,etc. I never felt in danger, but did keep very aware. I did hear that you do not want to be around after dark when the businesses close.

I also did notice what strikingly looked like a few bullet holes in a 55gal drum in the parking garage that I parked in.

And make sure she doesn't accidentally wear any "Gang Colors" like a red "do rag" or something...

the don't really rock colors like they used to, they do other things now to show affiliation like dying there dredlocks red... plus alot of the gangs are working together now bloods with crypts with latin kings.... just be aware, don't do dumb things and you will be fine... I have taken the light rails, and path after dark, not that bad... be smart, be aware, dont look scared, don't show valuables, don't stay in a train car alone, I think and you will be fine.

great points!

supposedly it is like the 25th? most dangerous city in the country..

while I appreciate the financial hardship it is not somewhere I would allow my wife to work.. period..

this map thing looks neat..

http://spotcrime.com/nj/newark

very interesting site

I'd advise her to carry a firearm of her choice, but OOPSIE! THIS IS NJ. WHOMP WHOMP WHOMP

I was thinking that too, Kimber Solo or Beretta Nano would be nice... BUT then this is the State of Confusion and Prohibition we live in.

I go to school in Newark and to be completely honest the area where the universities are is considered safe, but in reality I would say it's not just about two blocks from where I go every day there is the projects so there is plenty of comotion over their and I would think it's safe to say that because of the bad elements that live and cause chaos in Newark it is not the safest place in the world, but like any place in the world if you are prepared you will live. I carry OC and multiple knives and I have not had any true trouble as of yet so use caution and be prepared. Know how to defend youself and fight multiple people and your good to go.

I go to NJIT in the University area. It is near "the Rock", the whole area has a strong police presenece. Newark, NJIT, Rutgers, UMDNJ and Essex Comm College police departments are always circiling the area. So long as you are in that area its fine. Even when I have a late class I don't feel too threatened. Not saying I'm not aware of my surroundings, but I know my route, I stick to it and get out.

That being siad, I hate Newark with a passion and I am so glad I only have 6 more months in that cesspool.

I go shopping on market street sometimes during the summer and if its daylight everythings fine. But im sorry, i wouldnt let my wife take a train and have to walk to her destination. Theres been times ill be walkin near broad or market st and get asked if i need weed or coke. Kinda crazy.