bulpup

Newark. Is it safe?

I wonder how many here commenting have ever actually BEEN in Newark....

LOL! I was thinking the exact same thing.

There are some great restaurants in Newark. It depends on the section, but my parents and I used to go into Newark at night and usually get Portugese. I never really felt SCARED, sure it was creepy but we usually drove in, ate, then got in the car and left so I don't really have much opinion on this. But that was also 10+ years ago. During the day was fine, we would frequently drive in, park, get lunch then head into the city from Penn Station.

I used to live in Montclair. We went to Newark all the time. I also did service calls all over, including Newark. Daytime is fine, but don't act stupid. I.e. don't be a target but I say the same about Manhattan, and I worked there for 4 years.

For my serious answer: I do not fell the streets of Newark are any more dangerous than the streets of Denver or any other city I have been in. I have walked the streets or Newark in the day and at night alone and no one eyed me or bothered with me. Criminals look for easy targets. Have your wife train not to be an easy target and she can walk any street. Situational awareness is key every where. If she thinks you are paranoid ask her why she looks both ways when crossing the street when she can't hear a car coming. Redundancy in safety can be a good thing.

born and raised in Newark and I have been working in the downtown area of Newark since 1993, I hear everyday all about crimes happening from friends that live in grittier parts of newark were I think most crime happens, downtown Newark is not Beverly hills, but I think people let fear get to them, I have a friend of mine that works with me and he never goes downtown alone, he is a wuss... just don't look scared, don't do anything dumb like wearing a neck full of very expensive jewelry and you will be fine...

this is a good little read...

http://internetwriter62.hubpages.com/hub/Through-the-Eyes-of-Criminals-Ways-not-to-be-Singled-Out

I went to Newark everyday for five years. I've visited Camden. I never felt as unsafe as I have in Camden.

+1. I go to Newark about once a month for one reason or another. I never find myself nervous or worried. That's not the case when I'm in Camden.

I went to Newark everyday for five years. I've visited Camden. I never felt as unsafe as I have in Camden.

i meant the ones comparing Newark to Beirut...as opposed to the folks who were realistic about the City and it's environs.

I have worked in Irvington for 4 years now im 3 min from Newark im in and out of newark a couple of times a week I would love to nuke both of these towns i had to chase a pair of sh##bags with a tire iron one time they were trying to break into our building in the middle of the day called the police at 2:30 they came back in a half hour i chased them again called the police again was told the Irvington police were assisting the Newark police due to the layoff of the cops in Newark I left work at 5 police never showed up. Another time a guy broke into the building and hid for 2 hours while i was in the building after i left he came out and robbed a bunch of stuff including our 20 foot box truck we got the truck back it was parked in Newark. the point of all this is this is Irvington and Newark is 10 times worse. I have a friend thats a Newark Cop he said the only safe time in Newark is 5;30 am to 12;30pm while the sh##bags are sleeping GOOD LUCK I wouldnt wish that area on my worst enemy.

This is everything I know about Newark

lol.... i went to a couple of titty bars down in newark and boy o boy..... i didnt see any missing body parts but there were some frumpyyy women dancing in those places... i recall going to a wake one night and we didnt stop at a single red light because it looked like a jay-z music video....

I wonder how many here commenting have ever actually BEEN in Newark....

i lived in Newark from age 3 to 9 years old (near Milford Ave)..we moved out in 1953 to Middletown, nj...Newark was a beautiful city at that time..my apartment building had a marble lobby and shiney brass mailboxes..I played outside without worries..giant chestnut trees lined the streets..Cameo theater every Saturday on Elizabeth Avenue..went to Schleifer Park with my mom and fed the pidgeons...I commuted to NJIT in the early 80's for my BS and hated it..I actually felt a bit safer in Vietnam (64-68), but I was allowed to open carry (j/k) Gosh! I wonder what happened to it? Duh?

I lived in Elizabeth (next door to newark) for 9 years, and then commutted trhough newark for 4. It is just like any other big city. dont go where you are not supposed to. the downtown business areas are free of serious crime, but plenty of burglaries. Brother worked in Newark as animal patrol for 5 years, was ok. Just be aware and don't be stupid.

1. Don't make yourself an easy target, walk with a purpose, be aware of surroundings.

2. Don't wear stuff worth stealing, LuisV bag, bling on the hands, big rock on the hand, driving a beemer.

3. If you must drive a beemer.... get it black, and all tinted out. Add 22's... with spinners. Make yourself look like a drug dealer. :rofl:

Make friends.

My only issue in Newark was my car got broken into, a block from the police department by penn station. Ripped out amp, radio, sat radio. Grab and run situation.

if you go there with a victim mentality, you will be victimized. If you go in there with a "don't F with me" attitude, you are going to be fine.

You wanna see some ghetto's, go to Detroit.

Thats why Chrysler says it's cars are "imported" from Detroit. Becuase it's like a different Country there, unfortunately not a good one.

(And yes, I've been to Newark during daylight hours and I've seen enough in broad daylight.)

Some interesting answers. It sounds like she would be working in the busiest and most policed area if she got the job. However the fact that this company has gone out of their way to ask her to work there makes me think they are having problems getting people to either start work there or continue to work there.

Afraid to start working there is one thing, especially if you have never been there. If they are having problems keeping people there that is entirely different.

We will have to see how it plays out through the job interviews and such. We are some jaded New Yorkers and she lived in Spanish Harlem for seven years so we have a taste of what it is like to live in some unsavory areas. However these are different times. Different now because I am older and worry more.

Newark is like any big city. There are parts you never go to, there are parts that are better during the day and there are parts that are safe most of the time. Maks is correct with rules one and two. Other than the stadium, PAC and eating on ferry street there is really no reason to go to Newark at night. Trust me I patrol parts of Newark. I am fortunate that when I go I can carry and would never go without carrying.

I go to NJIT as well, and live there on campus.

It depends on where and how she is getting to work. If she takes the train into Newark and arrives at Penn Station, she likely has a ways to go to work. This leaves light rail, walking, and busses. Penn Station and the surrounding area are alright, although most likely cracked out bums will bug her for money (happens all the time to me, I carry some change on my just to hand them and walk away). If she can get to or from work without leaving a busy area she will be fine. Most of it is how you present yourself.

Never been mugged or anything, but I have had enough instances (almost all of them on Rutgers' campus) to wish I could CCW. Some strange, some thinking I was going to die. Rutgers Newark is a very unsafe place and their police are both rude and terrible at policing for the most part. For example, last winter a girl was dragged from a light rail station into their library and raped without anyone noticing. Better yet, Rutgers decided to attempt to cover it up rather than alert anyone. 'Cause, you know, saving some bad publicity is much better than potentially getting a lead on a rapist.

I am lucky that my schools police are both polite and good at doing their job.

Don't do it. Just look google crime in NJ. Essex county especially NWK is the worst. I've lived next to NWK in Jersey City all of my life. I recently was followed home from exchange place where I work to midtown jersey city. Some NWK scumbags tried to carjack me at gunpoint. Mind u I only know where they are from because police did chase them to NWK. I would never want anyone to feel threatened liked that. I wasn't even anywhere near NWK and I can tell u I'd never want to be there. That place is a breeding ground for crime.

We go to The Ironbound to have dinner at several restaurants. We feel safe enough to walk to & from dinner. People watch the neighborhood and each other's cars. Some reataurants have lot guys in safety vests patrolling public / private lots along Ferry Street area. Give the guy a tip and next time you get a better spot. Nothing happens to the car.

Wouldn't want to be by Broad St. at night. Years ago there was a rash of "bump & robs" which is when a car taps your rear bumper and you get robbed/mugged when you get out of your vehicle when you look for any damage. If someone tapped my bumper I'd drive till I saw a cop & then do a U-turn in the middle of the F'ing road! Downtown the stores have roll-down steel doors over the windows for a reason!

Newark is like any big city. There are parts you never go to, there are parts that are better during the day and there are parts that are safe most of the time. Maks is correct with rules one and two. Other than the stadium, PAC and eating on ferry street there is really no reason to go to Newark at night. Trust me I patrol parts of Newark. I am fortunate that when I go I can carry and would never go without carrying.

Thank You. I can take that to heart. My wife is not violent and looking to kick a**, but she has the feel for New York City. I am getting the feeling that might be enough as long as she works bankers hours. That might be the key.

She hates texting and never puts headphones in her ears when walking. I am the one that would get beat when blasting music in the ears. It's still a concern for me. A new city can be a hurdle, especially when you know another one so well.

Thanks eveyone for the comments. As for "is the risk worth the reward," i dunno. The exercise for me is looking at what the risk is, at least for now. I would prefer she get a job right down the street but that isn't happening.

And when Bulpup's wife will be there the roll down doors will be up...

Yes, and that is a good thing indeed!

At night it's easy to become prey, especially if you're acting like a dip Sh!t and playing with your phone reading texts! Do as BlueLine & Maks say & you're good to go!

And when Bulpup's wife will be there the roll down doors will be up...

That, I think, would be my husbandly orders to her. :lol: "Gates down, get out of town!"

Seriously though, everywhere I ever lived they rolled gates over the glass and doors of businesses. Not much of an indicator for me.

That, I think, would be my husbandly orders to her. :lol: "Gates down, get out of town!"

Seriously though, everywhere I ever lived they rolled gates over the glass and doors of businesses. Not much of an indicator for me.

Just look for the bullet holes from the drive-by's in the Broad Street area roll-downs. That's the difference!

She'll be O-K if she does what she should. She did survive NYC after-all! Tell her good luck from all of us!

We go to The Ironbound to have dinner at several restaurants.

I went to NJIT many years ago. I actually went to McGoverns more, possibly the best bar on earth. Anyway, I agree Dave, Ironbound is great to this day. I frequent Forno's and Iberia which have their own secure parking. That said, most other parts of Newark are just not safe. I don't care day or night. Drive by's happen at all hours and they don't care about collateral damage. The odds of not getting caught in one are in your favor and as someone else mentioned it's the whole risk/reward situation. If I had to pay the bills...I'm taking the risk.