bulpup

Newark. Is it safe?

supposedly it is like the 25th? most dangerous city in the country..

while I appreciate the financial hardship it is not somewhere I would allow my wife to work.. period..

this map thing looks neat..

http://spotcrime.com/nj/newark

I wonder how many here commenting have ever actually BEEN in Newark....

I grew up in Elizabeth and remember when Newark was a decent place to go in the 50s and 60s. I was a teacher in the Central Ward in the 70s and it still wasn't too bad. I wound up working as a LEO based out of Newark for over 22 years.

Okay, I will agree that overall Newark has evolved into a sewer which is too bad as nearly all the people living there are as decent as any one of us. Vlad, that link to the map is helpful to my argument. Look at the part where those 3 fists form a triangle. thta's roughly the boundaries of the downtown business district and Ironbound section. Notice the lack of crime there? next look at the time of day like 1-3 am. also look at the lack of crime within those fists.

Downtown Newark in the daytime is like any other downtown area in any other big city. when you get that many people in one area there will be some crime but I wouldn't call it as dangerous as many are representing it. Downtown Newark is no more dangerous during the day than midtown Manhattan and I guess you just have to put it in your own perspective. I know people who will never go to Seaside Heights as they think its too seedy. I know people who live in Brooklyn that refuse to go to Coney Island but like Seaside.

If your wife survived working in Manhattan I see no reason she wouldn't due the same under the parameters you mention and taking a bit of caution.