chris327

New 9mm not sure

The FNX and FNP lines are good pistols and highly accurate, supposedly US Made (but maybe just assembled), and they are high quality polymer pistols. I think the added ergonomics are worth the upgrade to the FNX over the FNP, but an FNP can usually be found at a really competitive price.

If you get a FNP, I would consider finding a USG model that would enable you to carry cocked and locked (if you wanted that capacity). Both have really nice and smooth triggers and I enjoy having a hammer action. If you were ever able to carry you could keep your thumb over the hammer when holstering. The magazines are sometimes hard to lock into them and need to be pushed forward to lock in place, and it is easy, especially with the FNP to move the decocker safety switch off safety (if carried cocked and locked) and to go too far and thus decock it as well, instead of just making it ready to shoot. Neither of them has 15-round magazines for NJ, and you cannot even get an FNX unless you get the high capacity magazine modfied, as not even a 10-rounder is made. The FNP does have 10-round magazines, and also, I believe that there is a compact FNP 9mm that might have 15-round magazine.

Also, it probably wouldn't be a concern to you, but you cannot completely breakdown one without sending it to FNH to do it for you, as it is only serviceable by the factory.

They are hard to find holsters and other accessories for them, as they aren't that popular.

Other than that, I really love the feel of one of these guns in my hand and would love to have one. If I didn't have a problem with the 15-round magazines, I would definitely have an FNH-9.

If you don't mind the .40 S&W round, you might want to get the FNX-40, instead. And, it will have magazine commonality with the striker fired FNS-40 that is suppose to be released next year. The FNX-9, however, will not. And, the FNP and FNX 9s do not share the same magazines.

If you have small to medium hands, the Beretta 92 grip and trigger distance might not be comfortable for you. If you want one, then you won't go wrong, but you might want to get the 92A1 and make sure it has the upgradeable sights.

If you are going the route of wanting a hammer-fired pistol (since you were interested in the FN pistols), you might also consider the Beretta PX4 Storm or Stoeger Cougar 8000. Based on your seeming criteria, I would certainly check into the Stoeger 9mm. It has 15 round magazines (good for NJ) and is quite nice and really accurate and it can be found at a very nice price point. You might also want to consider a CZ 75B over the Beretta 92, or one of the other CZ variants. The 75B seems to fit my hand a little better. Another option would be to find a Taurus 92. They are a very good pistol as well.

I have a FNP-9 and I love it. It is highly accurate. You cannot go wrong with this pistol. I have had no problems finding a holster for the FNP, I have a Blade-Tech for it and have used it for USPSA. I use my CZ-75 mostly for gaming so the FNP is pretty much a range gun now. FNH has come out with the striker fired model and as far as what I have read everyone seems to like it. I will be looking for one when the permits come thru. I don't have any first hand knowledge with the FNX but everything I have read has been positive.

Fnp-9 can be found for around 400 these days and if you look around mags can be had for >$15

FNP was made available with 10 round mags

FNX only comes with 17 but Paul at arms-n-ammo may be able to help modify them to nj standards

i own the FNP but have shot the FNX at classic pistol, I like the FNX better because of the more aggressive grips.

FNS is the striker fire version of the FNX and supposedly has one of the better triggers among the striker fire guns.

Hoping to get my hands on one soon.

Walther PPQ... Almost everyone who has tried one has been very positive on their feedback. You can read my thread on it in this forum, also check out the feedback on the Walther forum, and videos on YouTube.

TheWombat

Fnp mags will not FNS

its been reported that FNX fits FNS however not the other way around.

Contact pk90 if you are really interested and see if he can modify the mags for you.

Like I said he did it for my FNP and I've had no problems with the mags.

Have you shot any of these handguns?

I agree with this_is_nascar. Take a look at the SR9. I love mine. Feels great in the hands and it is very affordable. I have put about 1000 rds through mine and have not had an issue. It has run flawlessly. I don't get why this gun doesn't get more love. Maybe the issues with the first run of the 330- prefix took some wind out of the sails that never came back, but the 331 with the D shaped mag release has any issues worked out.

Take my advise with a grain of salt. I'm still relatively new to this and haven't shot as many handguns as the rest of these guys. Of what I have tried, the SR9 was definitely the easiest to shoot and felt the best.

EDIT: Sorry.. Just saw your post mentioning no interest in the Ruger.

I agree with this_is_nascar. Take a look at the SR9. I love mine. Feels great in the hands and it is very affordable. I have put about 1000 rds through mine and have not had an issue. It has run flawlessly. I don't get why this gun doesn't get more love. Maybe the issues with the first run of the 330- prefix took some wind out of the sails that never came back, but the 331 with the D shaped mag release has any issues worked out.

Take my advise with a grain of salt. I'm still relatively new to this and haven't shot as many handguns as the rest of these guys. Of what I have tried, the SR9 was definitely the easiest to shoot and felt the best.

EDIT: Sorry.. Just saw your post mentioning no interest in the Ruger.

Because there are far better guns out there.

The Ruger does feel good in the hand, but in my opinion, the trigger is horrible.

For the mid 400's, I would be looking at the M&P, FNP, Walther P99/PPQ if you can go high 400's,

although quite honestly...

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p07-duty/

or

Sig SP2009

Has anyone seen the fns in person or at any dealers? I would like to get a feel before making a decision or ordering. Im really leaning towards that even though the mags might cost more due to modification.

Its a fantastic gun. I have seen it at Shot Show, albeit did not shoot it. The trigger was the nicest striker fired trigger I have seen out of the box, great ergonomics. Comes standard with night sights. I have some high res photos from the press release, although it is goign to be here monday in the package I sent out.

I read on the FNH forums that the FNX-9 is NOT legal in NJ since its ONLY available with 17 round magazines.

The optional 10 round magazine for the FNP-9 is NOT interchangeable with the FNX-9. Evidently, FNH has no plans

to produce a 10 or 15 round magazine for the FNX-9.

Is modifying a magazine to allow only 10 rounds completely legal and acceptable in NJ?

This would be the gun I would seriously consider myself if I was gonna go with a polymer gun, but right now,

I have decided that my first 9mm will be full metal....the Stoeger Cougar 9mm.

Is modifying a magazine to allow only 10 rounds completely legal and acceptable in NJ?

IANAL,etc... my opinion:

Yes. The statutes do not indicate how a magazine needs to be constructed in order to only be able to hold 15 rounds. Following the statutes, the mag cannot load 15 rounds consecutively into the gun, that is all. So technically a 30 round magazine with a block of wood in the bottom could suffice.

The NJAC does have guidelines that any magazine over 15 rounds that has been "alterned" to only allow 15 rounds ... the alteration must be "permanent". There are no guidelines on what permanent is. NJAC is not the law, but does guide prosecutors on how they should interpret the law. It also applies heavily to NJ based dealers in regards to them selling guns with altered mags. A dealer can only release "permanently" altered mags. If they put a block of wood in it, they could be accused of not following the NJAC rules, and get into trouble with the state regarding status of their NJ licenses.

I've seen blind pins and rivets being used to make alterations "permanent".