DblEGT

Best All-Around .22 Cal Semi-Auto Pistol under $400 ?? (POLL)

Best All-Around .22 Cal Semi-Auto Pistol under $400 ?? (POLL)  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Best All-Around .22 Cal Semi-Auto Pistol under $400 ?? (POLL)

• Smith & Wesson M&P 22
    • Ruger SR22
    • Sig/GSG 1911-22
    • Walther P22
    • Sig Mosquito
    • Ruger MkIII / 22/45
    • Beretta Neo
    • Browning Buckmark

Best all around for what?

Range sessions? Bullseye? 22 rimfire steel matches? plinking? training?

Most versatile? I would probably say the M&P 22, although that is based solely on looks, and initial functionality. Long term reliability is hard to establish as the gun is still relatively brand new. Having it look and feel just like a real M&P 9/40/45 is a great plus as a training tool, and uses the same holsters.

Best all around for what?

Range sessions? Bullseye? 22 rimfire steel matches? plinking? training?

Most versatile? I would probably say the M&P 22, although that is based solely on looks, and initial functionality. Long term reliability is hard to establish as the gun is still relatively brand new. Having it look and feel just like a real M&P 9/40/45 is a great plus as a training tool, and uses the same holsters.

Yeah, I didn't want to say "Best Range Gun", because we all know the Ruger MKIII or Browning Buckmark most likely have an advantage over the smaller, shorter-barrelled guns. Just wanted to see how everybody defines "Best All-Around" gun.

They all have their pro's and con's.

It's difficult to compare the longer-barreled pistols to the short-barreled smaller pistols. The MKIII/Buckmark are good for long range plinking and tight groups, while the P22 and M&P22 are good training tools for their bigger counterparts. They all have different looks though so you have quite a selection to choose from.

I have to say that .22 pistols that are toy-like in their feel leave me cold. I haven't shot the M&P22, but the Walther is unshootable for me. It is just too unsubstantial and doesn't feel durable to me. I have a similar issue with the mosquito. I'm going to go to SS this afternoon and take the SIG 226-22lr for a spin.

I just want a full frame gun..even for a small caliber. For that reason, I'd go mkiii. Even the one with the shortest barrel will feel better to me than the p22.

I also like a revolver in .22 :-)

I am probably the one person who will say this..... I have owned 2 Ruger MK II/III 's ...... neither would run 100%, no matter what ammo I put thru them. And even if they did, the work you have to do in order to clean them make em a "NO SALE" in my book.....

I bought the M&P22 to compliment my FS 9mm, and it has far exceeded my expectations....... not only does it run at 100%, it field strips as easy as its Big Brother.

"I'm going to go to SS this afternoon and take the SIG 226-22lr for a spin."

Rented the Sig 226-22 last week at ShoreShot. Liked it, except did NOT like the fact that it does not lock back after the last round. Why they wouldn't include this feature is beyond me !

I am probably the one person who will say this..... I have owned 2 Ruger MK II/III 's ...... neither would run 100%, no matter what ammo I put thru them. And even if they did, the work you have to do in order to clean them make em a "NO SALE" in my book.....

I bought the M&P22 to compliment my FS 9mm, and it has far exceeded my expectations....... not only does it run at 100%, it field strips as easy as its Big Brother.

I've heard pluses and minuses about the Walther-built M&P22. I'm hesitant to get the M&P22 since it seems to have the same internals as the Walther P22, which has a cheap pot-metal slide. Seems like they needed to get to a price point and skimped on the slide material, which is a shame. I do like the look of the M&P22, although also wish they included the adjustable backstrap feature, like it's bigger siblings (9 and 40).

Seems like you've had very good experience with it, so this is why I am CONFUSED ! :-)

I voted for the Ruger MKII - MKIII

The biggest complaint is that they are hard to disassemble and reassemble. In reality, it isn't that difficult once you get the hang of it. (but it is more difficult than say a S&W 22A)

I've never had major problems with any of the Rugers I've used with cheap bulk ammo. Couple of FTE's here and there and a rare missed fire which is par for the course with rimfires I am told.

Used Ruger Mark II Target w/ a 5 1/2 bull barrel, Hogue grips and fiber optic front sight or a Taurus 992 revolver Hunter model that comes with 22WMR cylinder as well.

Hi Everyone, New here....Please allow me to add that I have a Ruger MarkII Stainless Govt 6 7/8" (?) barrel all tricked out with volquartzen stuff.. It took a bit of getting used to in the cleaning dept. But I now have it down pat and it's not a problem. Infact it's kinda therapudic. I Love this gun's accuracy and it eats CCI blazer which i buy by the case ,thank G-d they're one of the cheapest. Two Permits have just been approved and I'm buying a Ruger MarkIII Hunter next week and one other in 30 days or so. I just haven't made up my mind on what the second gun will be....It does hold true that your favorite gun is always your next one......

Hi Everyone, New here....Please allow me to add that I have a Ruger MarkII Stainless Govt 6 7/8" (?) barrel all tricked out with volquartzen stuff.. It took a bit of getting used to in the cleaning dept. But I now have it down pat and it's not a problem. Infact it's kinda therapudic. I Love this gun's accuracy and it eats CCI blazer which i buy by the case ,thank G-d they're one of the cheapest. Two Permits have just been approved and I'm buying a Ruger MarkIII Hunter next week and one other in 30 days or so. I just haven't made up my mind on what the second gun will be....It does hold true that your favorite gun is always your next one......

If you like 1911 style guns, take a look at the GSG 1911-22, it's a real fun and nice gun, plus you probably not going to get a better 22LR plinker pistol than the Ruger's you will already have anyway.

Love my Ruger MK iii Target, and waiting patiently for the paperwork to clear so I can pick up my Sig 1911. Have to say I really didn't like shooting the 22/45 model, but the MK iii Target is a pleasure to shoot and reliable. It will shoot just about anything you can put through it.

SO much this. I got one and of course it is a ton of fun to shoot, but once you leave the range the fun is over. Trying to field strip and clean this thing is a friggin nightmare. If it wasn't for our bs permit system, I'd sell it and buy another pistol in .22.

~400 rounds through my 22/45 Mk III, and I have not had 1 issue (FTF / FTE). I keep it clean, lubed, and only shoot CCI Mini-Mags. As for the cleaning, it's 10x easier to break down than to reassemble. I always forget to put the magazine, which makes it damn near impossible to finish the assembly.