Silent Service

Dicks Ammunition Ban & NJ - Perfect together !

Dicks in Freehold would not sell me .223 ammo tonight without my FID card. As matter of fact, I could not purchase any other ammo except 10, 12 or 20 gauge shotgun shells. Reasoning? Well a constitutionally illegal one as far as I'm concerned, but Dicks reason is New Jersey's ban on the sale of hand gun ammunition to anyone without an FID card.

How am I supposed to enjoy my 2nd amendment right if I can't purchase the ammo necessary to exercise that right?

Just go get my FID right? Yeah, I'm sure there's a few out there that are going to say that. Let's just forget about that train (ing) of your thoughts for the moment.

Through (what a sad joke) exemptions a person can transport their guns to and fro from their home to their place of business, or gun range, or hunting grounds. Well how the $%^& are you suposed to shoot targets without ammo when you get there? Maybe that person is suposed to pretend that there is ammo being shot and make those sounds kids used to make on the playground. (I digress, today those kids would be subjected to, arrest, counseling, expulsion, put on pills and turned into a zombie by the school system). I can just see it now at Range 14, some jerk wad making those sounds and recoiling as if a real round was being shot. Again, how is a person suposed to exercise their 2nd amendment right without ammunition? Your not. Clearly the Constitution has been trampled, and I fear...truly, truly fear that it's too late for a return to true freedom.

Here is what the "New" freedom is.

We are free to:

Think we're free.

Be interrorgated prior to practicing our unalienable rights.

Pay for that interrogation.

Receive a right as indicated by an "ID" card.

Pay for a different ID (hand gun) to enjoy that right. And each additional one.

Pay for a NICS check, today, and again tommorrow if you decide to get that other gun you wanted.

Buy ammo, with an FID card, then have your purchase logged into a record book.

Ad nauseam

As I wrote this, the thought crossed my mind that the proposed new ammunition law, A588, is really going to be a cash grab under the guise of protecting the police. I fathom to believe that the law is going to be like an announced toll increase. Like when the turnpike/parkway commission announces a toll hike of 100%, people **** and moan, the commission then says oh, ok just a 50% increase, the people go whew, the commission guys high five, laugh their arses off and go to Myrtle Beach for a round or two of golf.

Well gotta go get ready for the range tommorrow. Pachew, pachew, pachew, zing, zing, pop, pop, pop, pop.

Criminals always find a way......

• Like 1

A right is the sanction of independent action. A right is that which can be exercised without anyone’s permission. If you exist only because society permits you to exist—you have no right to your own life. A permission can be revoked at any time. If, before undertaking some action, you must obtain the permission of society—you are not free, whether such permission is granted to you or not. Only a slave acts on permission. A permission is not a right

- Ayn Rand

• Like 1

Eh. Shop elsewhere. Plenty of nj gun shops will sell you .223 without an FID.

Me? I think the prohibition on carrying is more of an encroachment on rights. I regard Dicks as a corporation that is primarily worried about lawsuits. And in NJ, rightly so. This state is very hostile to gun owners.

I don't believe you are required to show your FID for rifle ammo or shotgun ammo, only handgun ammo. Secondly, buy ammo off the internet already so you don't have to waste your time with annoying gun salesman.

Dick's requires it for pretty much all non-shotgun ammo. Dick's says it's NJ law. Dick's is wrong. I buy my ammo online or at Walmart in PA.

I want to make it clear that these are my personal opinions and in no way are to reflect the opinions of Dicks Sporting goods Inc. Im sorry to say but you are wrong on a couple of Levels.

This policy was in place before the Elite Ammunition incident this summer, which I will get into later, and it is in NO way unconstitutional. NOWHERE in the constitution does it expressly forbid a company from adding more regulation to the sale of ammo. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Second, you should do some research into Elite Ammunition. They were served with a search warrant over the summer because they were custom loading brass bullets for 223 rem, 6.8 grendel, and 6.8 spc. They sent samples to the ATF who stated that these are handgun cartridges, and that these loaded cartridges are considered armor piercing, a no go for pistol ammunition sales to the general public. On a separate but related topic, one cannot even load what the BATFE would consider armor piercing for personal use. In order to load this you need a type 10 ffl. Here is the link to Elites website. http://www.eliteammunition.net/newsletters/newsletter/7385257/81014.htm

Third, it must me understood that the feds have jurisdiction over the state. NJ mandates that all pistol ammunition be sold after verifying Firearms ID card. Since the feds feel 223. is now a pistol cartridge, you are now mandated by state law to show ID for buying 223. rem.

Dick's requires it for pretty much all non-shotgun ammo. Dick's says it's NJ law. Dick's is wrong. I buy my ammo online or at Walmart in PA.

You are 100% correct. Those who dont know should be retrained. It is not state expressly written in state law and most counter people know it. It is company policy, and I dont know anyone willing to risk their job by selling ammo to someone who doesnt show an FID at time of purchase.

Dick's has always been like that, in NJ. I think when that one was Gavalyans it was the same way. Company policy. Also policy to require FPID to handle a firearm to check it out. Considering what happened in Woodbridge a few years back, its a wonder that a big box store like Dicks goes to the trouble of selling firearms & ammo in NJ. I have bought some supplies & other stuff when I get coupons. The Freehold store is really a dump lately, filthy, merch all over the place, bathroom hasn't been cleaned in ages, it seems. Maybe on its way out???

Dicks makes there own rules. Comes from headquarter and these @$$hole ppl that they train listen bc they don't know any better

They are just doing what they are trained to do. Getting fired over something like that is avoidable

.223? I mean, I know that there are a few "handguns" that fire it, but does that make it handgun ammo? My brother-in-law just bought a .45ACP carbine today, since he essentially bought a short rifle, following that logic, shouldn't that make .45ACP a rifle cartridge?

.223? I mean, I know that there are a few "handguns" that fire it, but does that make it handgun ammo? My brother-in-law just bought a .45ACP carbine today, since he essentially bought a short rifle, following that logic, shouldn't that make .45ACP a rifle cartridge?

In practicality, I believe so, In practice I dont think it matters because rifle ammo isnt under the same restrictions. But that is a good point.

I want to make it clear that these are my personal opinions and in no way are to reflect the opinions of Dicks Sporting goods Inc. Im sorry to say but you are wrong on a couple of Levels.

This policy was in place before the Elite Ammunition incident this summer, which I will get into later, and it is in NO way unconstitutional. NOWHERE in the constitution does it expressly forbid a company from adding more regulation to the sale of ammo. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Second, you should do some research into Elite Ammunition. They were served with a search warrant over the summer because they were custom loading brass bullets for 223 rem, 6.8 grendel, and 6.8 spc. They sent samples to the ATF who stated that these are handgun cartridges, and that these loaded cartridges are considered armor piercing, a no go for pistol ammunition sales to the general public. On a separate but related topic, one cannot even load what the BATFE would consider armor piercing for personal use. In order to load this you need a type 10 ffl. Here is the link to Elites website. http://www.eliteammu...85257/81014.htm

Third, it must me understood that the feds have jurisdiction over the state. NJ mandates that all pistol ammunition be sold after verifying Firearms ID card. Since the feds feel 223. is now a pistol cartridge, you are now mandated by state law to show ID for buying 223. rem.

I understand it is not unconstitutional for a business not to sell something to me. That is not the point. The point is that the state/fed has set a mandate that regulates the sale of an item that is essential to the operation of an armament. By doing so the state has disarmed its citizens.

Elite is caught up to its axles in a quagmire. And who is going to profit from that?

You are 100% correct. Those who dont know should be retrained. It is not state expressly written in state law and most counter people know it. It is company policy, and I dont know anyone willing to risk their job by selling ammo to someone who doesnt show an FID at time of purchase.

Dicks makes there own rules. Comes from headquarter and these @$$hole ppl that they train listen bc they don't know any better

Dick's has always been like that, in NJ. I think when that one was Gavalyans it was the same way. Company policy. Also policy to require FPID to handle a firearm to check it out. Considering what happened in Woodbridge a few years back, its a wonder that a big box store like Dicks goes to the trouble of selling firearms & ammo in NJ. I have bought some supplies & other stuff when I get coupons. The Freehold store is really a dump lately, filthy, merch all over the place, bathroom hasn't been cleaned in ages, it seems. Maybe on its way out???

They are just doing what they are trained to do. Getting fired over something like that is avoidable

I have "0" contempt for the people that work at Dicks. Those people are just employees and are doing what they are told to do. One of my concerns is that if Dicks has imposed, or should I say classified all ammo except shot gun rounds as hand gun rounds, then who's next. Will that mentality spread to other company's in the state? Will the public embrace it as fact? Will it then become fact?

I don't want to go to PA to buy ammo and I don't want to have to order it online. I want to be able to go down to my local store and not be made to feel like a common criminal or a 4 year old child.

The point is that the state/fed has set a mandate that regulates the sale of an item that is essential to the operation of an armament. By doing so the state has disarmed its citizens.

you start by saying they regulate the sale of...

similar to how they require background checks before a firearms purchase (regulate the purchase)

but then jump to statement that they have disarmed the citizens of the state?

I am in PA most of the time now.. and I can walk to walmart and buy ammo.. but it is not like when I lived in NJ it was impossible to obtain ammunition? I just had to follow the regulations in place.. similar to when I purchase a gun?

I am against all that nonsense.. but your reaction is very very extreme considering the situation..

I mean at least you can buy ammunition still..

you CAN'T carry a gun

you CAN'T purchase certain guns

you CAN'T purchase certain accessories

you CAN'T buy handguns too often

there are plenty of things to get really bent about.. and it is your right to be angry about whatever you want.. but I would be FAR more angry about those other points of regulation.. VS needing your FID card to purchase handgun ammunition..

the LAW is "ammunition that CAN be used in a handgun" OR "ammunition that can EXCLUSIVELY be used in a handgun" I forget which.. either way that is a corporations policy.. in a free nation should be able to establish the policies that they feel protect them.. for what it's worth I applaud them for being one of the few big box retailers that still carry ammo in NJ.. most don't bother anymore because NJ laws are such a pain in the a**..

• Like 1

I know for a fact two of the guys at the freehold store that work the hunting section are actually very knowledgeable on gun laws and knows dicks is wrong for requiring the FID for the rifle ammo. However its their company policy and they wanna keep a job. I believe dicks as a corp knows their rule is wrong but its their merchandise and they can put policies on how to sell their merchandise however they choose. They simply use the ammo laws to fit their own policy and its also for them to keep track of purchases for themselves. If you wanted to make a big stink you could even go as far as to say 9mm is not exclusive to handguns so it shouldn't require the FID but its their products and their choice.

+1.

their choice to do so.

In PA you need to show Id to make sure you are 18 years old. In NJ, just show the FID.

If you do not want to be dependent on people for ammunition, get a reloader, and learn to load own ammo. Save yourself a ton of money too.

My current loads...

$5.36 a box of 40 S&W (plated/fmj, not lead)

$4.96 a box of 9mm.

C'mon..are you forgetting where your from ?

All those cards, permits, phone checks, applications and fees for all of that.....it's New Jersey......where money paves the way....IMO.

Stop electing libral lawyers and their political appointees......change it at the voting booth or it will never change.

As far as Dick's is concerned........they must pay to play also.

I went to Dicks in Freehold a night ago and was interested in an over / under shotgun I spotted so I summoned the samesman over who was already behind the counter. No other customers were there so he was totally free to assist me. Bottom line, he didnt! After several questions about the shotty it became clear that this "dick" was not even going to go touch that shotgun, much less show it to me. In fact he went as far as to answer questions from the hip not even looking at the tag on the shotty, making statements that started off with "I believe or I think" Sure I had my F.I.D. in my wallet but it was evident this guy was not interested in showing me anything. I won't ever go back there (for anything.) either.

I picked up a box of 100rds there just cause I didn't want to wait, and we were already there.

When asked for my FID card he could tell by the look on my face I was confused. He explained their policy. I pulled out my FID and got my ammo.

Don't really see a problem with that.. He's only doing his job. Will I buy ammo their again? If im in the area and have the sudden urge to buy ammo, sure. Other then that CTD.com it is for me..

There is plenty of things to get fired up about, I don't see this being one of them honestly.

• Like 1

I went to Dicks in Freehold a night ago and was interested in an over / under shotgun I spotted so I summoned the samesman over who was already behind the counter. No other customers were there so he was totally free to assist me. Bottom line, he didnt! After several questions about the shotty it became clear that this "dick" was not even going to go touch that shotgun, much less show it to me. In fact he went as far as to answer questions from the hip not even looking at the tag on the shotty, making statements that started off with "I believe or I think" Sure I had my F.I.D. in my wallet but it was evident this guy was not interested in showing me anything. I won't ever go back there (for anything.) either.

This attitude i dont get. If I'm gonna take the time and effort to visit a gun store i want to accomplish what I went there for. If someone is being a dick, get pro-actve on your own behalf, pull out your card and ask to see whatever it is you want.I've always found presenting the card wether the sales guy asked or not helps move things along. I'm not letting someone else waste my time.

This attitude i dont get. If I'm gonna take the time and effort to visit a gun store i want to accomplish what I went there for. If someone is being a dick, get pro-actve on your own behalf, pull out your card and ask to see whatever it is you want.I've always found presenting the card wether the sales guy asked or not helps move things along. I'm not letting someone else waste my time.

I thought of that afterwards, I should have done so (broke out my card) and asked to see and hold the shotty. I got turned off by the salesmans initial and onging attitude but I should have made him show me the shotty and then when done said that I know where I can get it cheaper and then walk away. He was a jerk in my opinion and a waste of time behind the gun counter. I let it go at that and walked away early. But then, they don't need my business (its evident) as they're a large chain store. So I honestly doubt I'll pay them another visit for anything.

And no, I wasn't there at the store specifically to see a shotty, I was there for other purposes and the interest in the shotty was spur of the moment, but sincere interest none the less as I am in the market for an O/U similar to the one that caught my eye there. (Franchi)

Stop trying to buy firearms and ammunition at a sporting goods store. And stop getting treated like crap, go back again and complain about getting treated like crap.

We have plenty of professional, courteous and helpful dealers right here on this forum. And there are plenty of online ammunition sources that provide price, selection and service that is superior to the dicks at Dicks.

Stop trying to buy firearms and ammunition at a sporting goods store. And stop getting treated like crap, go back again and complain about getting treated like crap.

We have plenty of professional, courteous and helpful dealers right here on this forum. And there are plenty of online ammunition sources that provide price, selection and service that is superior to the dicks at Dicks.

+1. Selection, and especially price is fantastic online. I think I saved $3-4 on a box of federal .22lr ammo on Cheaper than Dirt.

Second, you should do some research into Elite Ammunition. They were served with a search warrant over the summer because they were custom loading brass bullets for 223 rem, 6.8 grendel, and 6.8 spc. They sent samples to the ATF who stated that these are handgun cartridges, and that these loaded cartridges are considered armor piercing, a no go for pistol ammunition sales to the general public. On a separate but related topic, one cannot even load what the BATFE would consider armor piercing for personal use. In order to load this you need a type 10 ffl. Here is the link to Elites website. http://www.eliteammunition.net/newsletters/newsletter/7385257/81014.htm

That has been the case for a LONG time. I would guess since the mid-90s or possibly earlier. It's not something that changed last summer.