Col. Mortimer

USPSA February Match at Shongum

The February Match is Saturday, February 4th. The match is 100 rounds and registration starts at 9:30AM. Help with setting up and packing up is always needed and appreciated. There will be a rifle side stage after the pistol match of 38 rounds.

The long-term weather forecast looks favorable. Field conditions should be good but it will be cold, especially in the morning.

NOTE:

1. If you plan to attend, reply to Ron Guman at [email protected] and know let him know by Thursday, February 2nd, 8AM.
  2. If you are new and need the safety briefing be there by 9am and let Karen know at registration.
  3. If the match is cancelled for weather, Ron will send out an email notification around 5pm on Friday and it will be posted here.

For the people on this board that want to get their feet wet in USPSA, Shongum is a terrific venue to that end. Very friendly. Great club, imaginative stages. Come on out and give it a try. Cross your fingers that weather and field conditions are favorable on match day.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

I've been shooting for about a year but looking to get into USPSA so I can try to track my progress and meet some other folks. From some googling I understand I can register for USPSA ahead of time and whatnot, but I'm a little fuzzy on the various divisions and what exactly I'd need to bring. I don't think I'll make it out to the Feb match (I'm hosting Superbowl on Sun so I'll be prepping the chili!) but I figure it'd be good to ask my questions now. If these are answered on a prev thread or someplace on the site just shoot me the link and I'll read there. All I've been going off of is the main USPSA site to this point (http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-about-getting-started.php)

1) I've got a Kimber 1911 in .45 and will have (as soon as the PD gives me my permit) a Walther PPQ in 9mm. No mods to either, so I assume I can use either one?

2) Which division(s) are you running and which would you recommend for someone new to USPSA

3) How many mags/mag pouches will I need to have with me per stage? Might need to do some shopping in advance

4) Can I sign up/register for USPSA there the day of or do I need to do it in advance?

5) I've got a few buddies in the process of getting their NJFID and would like to bring them along to watch, is that ok?

Thanks for the help!

KeithCo88

I've been shooting for about a year but looking to get into USPSA so I can try to track my progress and meet some other folks. From some googling I understand I can register for USPSA ahead of time and whatnot, but I'm a little fuzzy on the various divisions and what exactly I'd need to bring. I don't think I'll make it out to the Feb match (I'm hosting Superbowl on Sun so I'll be prepping the chili!) but I figure it'd be good to ask my questions now. If these are answered on a prev thread or someplace on the site just shoot me the link and I'll read there. All I've been going off of is the main USPSA site to this point (http://www.uspsa.org...ing-started.php)

1) I've got a Kimber 1911 in .45 and will have (as soon as the PD gives me my permit) a Walther PPQ in 9mm. No mods to either, so I assume I can use either one?

2) Which division(s) are you running and which would you recommend for someone new to USPSA

3) How many mags/mag pouches will I need to have with me per stage? Might need to do some shopping in advance

4) Can I sign up/register for USPSA there the day of or do I need to do it in advance?

5) I've got a few buddies in the process of getting their NJFID and would like to bring them along to watch, is that ok?

Thanks for the help!

KeithCo88

1) Either gun is fine. Shoot what you shoot best.

2) Am I running - or what you run with the guns stated? Your 1911 .45 would be in Single Stack Major. The PPQ would be in Production - which is minor by default. I shoot production with a Sig P226SL in 9mm and am in the process of breaking in a Steyr M9-A1.

3) For the .45, with its lower capacity, I'd recommend a minimum of 5 mags and four pouches. For the Walther, you could reduce that by 0ne each. More is better, within reason. In those two classes there are restrictions as to where the holster and mag pouches can be carried, so we "fluffier" guys have a slight advantage :icon_lol:

4) At CJRPC you can join right there and shoot the match for free. Not sure at Shongum. You can shoot at least one match without being a member. Being new, you have to go through the safety orientation before the match (come early)

5) Spectators are fine. They will need "eyes & ears" though.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You can opt to join USPSA at Shongum, and shoot that match for free -- that applies throughout the Mid-Atlantic Section, at every club.....

You can also shoot as many matches as a non-member as you want.....

Thanks for the clarification, Nik

Hokay, as long as the weather holds, I'm definitely in. I can bring my HK USP compact in 9mm if there are any newbs looking to borrow equipment. Keep in mind though, that the mag release on the HK is a bit different than other pistols.

What time do they usually wrap up?

With a rifle side match scheduled for afterwards, they try to have the pistol portion done by 3:00 or 3:30 at the latest. Ron also said last time, that due to the cold weather, stages would be kept relatively short & simple. I think this one calls for 100 rounds.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I've worked so much this week that I don't know what is going on...I am usually good about pre-registering but I just haven't had the chance to email Ron.

Mike, Maks, anyone? Do you think if I didn't pre-register and I show up, I will still be able to shoot? I shoot there almost every month and always do my fair share of pasting and tearing down.