blksheep

How many people attended some type of training?

How many of you have some sort of training?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you have training?

• NRA Training
    • Police Training
    • Youtube trained
    • Book trained
    • Outside company training

How many people have attended some type of training be it, NRA, Police or some other type of training etc. Did you find it beneficial/?

If you took a NRA Instructor Class what did it involve?

Would you take the classes again based on what you did or did not learn?

I first held a firearm about 4-5 months ago when MrsWombat and I went to Sunset Hill Range in PA. I had no training/awareness - and although the range session was very safe, I found my results frustrating. As I knew we would be heading back to Sunset Hill a couple of weeks later when some friends visited us I spent a lot of time watching YouTube, specifically the Beginner Shooting Tips w/ Il Ling. From this I distilled the learnings down to the following:

1. Strong Stance (knees bent, lean forward)
  2. High Grip
  3. Hard Grip (40:60)
  4. Front Sight
  5. Smooth Rearward Roll of Trigger
  6. Thumbs Forward
  7. Say 'One' 'Two' (i.e. breath control)
  8. Follow Through

The result when we returned back to Sunset Hill was like night and day. I was significantly better at shooting (and better than MrsWombat) and overall it was a much more enjoyable session.

After those two range visits we applied for our FIDs and then have undertaken additional training as per my signature during the last 4 months.

If you're just looking to shoot at the range then, in my view, NRA Basic Pistol is probably all that is required, then a bit of research on forums/YouTube although everyone's situation is different and depends as much on family situation, budget etc.

If however you're owning firearms for Home Defense and/or Concealed Carry then I am a strong believer on the need for additional training to include tactics/techniques (e.g. GFH Urban Pistol) and Force on Force (GFH Simunitions). I typically select the Gun For Hire courses at present as location wise they are the most convenient for me, and overall I've enjoyed the courses I've taken and the instructors, particularly Joe and Chuck, are great.

I have also bought a few books, e.g. by Massad Ayoob among others.

TheWombat

I was a good shot until the training I recieved in the corrections academy lol, before then it was easy almost second nature 25 yards no problem, the training made me think about my form and what I did wrong so I'm always trying to correct myself now instead of just sighting up and pulling the trigger

Had a lot of "training" from reading , watching dvd's and online videos and then practicing.

I recommend this article to all new shooters I come in contact with: Massad Ayoob, How to shoot a handgun accurately.

I'm also a fan of the magpul training videos.

I have taken a "real" training course, combative carbine course with MDTS.

How many people have attended some type of training be it, NRA, Police or some other type of training etc. Did you find it beneficial/?

If you took a NRA Instructor Class what did it involve?

Would you take the classes again based on what you did or did not learn?

I've enrolled in classes with both "civilian" instructors and those who've been down-range. While all were beneficial to a degree, I personally took away the most from some of the courses run by retired military folks. It's one thing when an instructor says "focus on your sights this way" ... It's another thing when he says "focus on your sights this way because, when you're getting shot at like I was in Somalia, you may experience combat tunnel vision, etc etc."

Personally, I've found it very helpful when an instructor not only teaches the how but also the why ... then tells you how your body may react under stress and why you should now practice a modified how. Can't beat real-world experience.