blksheep

What was your first?

Beretta m9a1- 2010

RRA LAR-15- 2010

shotgun- wingmaster '67 -2012

I also bought a Ruger Target 30 days after the M9A1- only reason i list it as my first is because i shoot the crap out of it. I'll probably never sell a gun i buy, i'm a borderline hoarder.

I was gonna put that as my first gun as well (altho the timeline was probably closer to the early 90s for me), but it was a present and I wasn't sure it "counted"... not to mention I wasn't sure if it's technically a rifle or a shotgun. Mine is also sitting in a closet in Europe :good: I've been trying to find one here, but all I find is the 9mm ammo.

Cool! Yeah, I've never seen them here in the US. Mine was also a present from one of my uncles when I lived in Greece from the ages of 9 thru 16. It's technically considered a bolt action rifle, but the little brass shot shells were filled with BB's like a shotgun. I used to use it to shoot at birds and stuff... I had a lot of fun with it as a kid, but it was a pretty weak gun.

Handgun - Beretta 25th Anniversary M9. Bought at Lou's about 5 months ago

Rifle - used Savage model 110 in 30-06. Bought it new years day at cabelas lol.

Bought my (favorite) colt 1991 somewhere in between there.

I'll probably never sell the M9 but I will eventually upgrade the other 2.

She was a senior and I was a sophomore in high school ...

oh...

wrong first!

First rifle was a Savage-Anschutz 64-SL in .22LR

Left hand stock, right hand action, medium weight barrel

Perfect for a 16 year old paper puncher in training!

Shot it on the Varsity Rifle Team at Lehigh University

(when Lehigh had a rifle team, before it became politically incorrect)

Sold it in 1979 to a fellow shooter at Master Shooters in Indian Mills, NJ and used the proceeds to buy my Series 70 Colt Gold Cup for $332

(and why didn't I buy more of them???)

First handgun was a S&W 17, 6" bbl, blue bought the summer I was 21.

Still have it.

Had Hank Stratton smooth the action when he still had the shop on the White Horse Pike in Haddon Heights

(that was during the last ice age, wasn't it?)

I was a kid living in East Orange in the summer of '67. Some of you older folks might remember what was going on back then. I was working in a gas station and as I remember, "trunk" purchases were very common back then. Not that I would partake in any illegal activities. I do remember that some of my regular customers who worked in Newark at the time were open carrying shotguns and pistols for several weeks.

I remember buying a .22 rifle from a friend of mine that summer, it was tube fed and had an octaganal barrel like you used to see at the carnivals. I don't remember what brand it was, probably Winchester or Remington? I had it for a couple of years and sold it.

Ruger GP100 357 Magnum 5" with Meprolight Night Sights - 2010

Ruger SP101 357 Magnum 3" with Meprolight Night Sight and hogue monogrips - 2010

Sig P226 9mm with SS guide rod and hogue g10 piranha grips - 2010

Mossberg 464 Brush Rifle - 2011

Still have all 4, of the handguns the GP100 is my favorite.

Actually I had a long lapse of owning a firearm but the first two weapons that I owned and I didn't have to return to the government were:

Winchester Model 94 - 1970

Llamas 38 Special Revolver (forgot the model) - 1970

Just want to thank the guys who sent me a PM regarding my listing of the M1 carbine, which is illegal in NJ. You are correct to be concerned, because there are more than just a few cops reading this forum. If we could get a list of all the viewers, we'd probably need new underwear. Anyway, thanks again. It's nice to know there are still some good folks out there.

That M1 was issued to my uncle in 1943 when he became a paratrooper with the 82nd airborne. He carried it thru the war, and, like many GI's, managed to keep it with him when he returned home. When he passed in 1972, I inherited it because I am the family gun nut. That rifle is treasured by me, although ironically, it is now in the possession of my younger brother, who owns a cattle ranch in Texas. He referred to it as "the antique". Take note, impish troublemakers, I am still a solid, law abiding NJ citizen.

Real quick ditty to explain why old isn't bad, and the authorities still fear the semi auto: we spend every Thanksgiving at the ranch (big family affair), and this year my wife and I got down a few days early. My brother decides we're going on a search and destroy mission for pigs that are chewing up his property, so I get the M1 and he's carrying a fancy new Weatherby .300 Mag (yes, he is a gun snob). I get the oldest and calmest horse, named Nessie. He's on some young stud named Otto. Half an hour into the late day hunt we come over a small rise near a creek and sure enough there's this freakin' hog that looks to me to be 300lbs and it's only about 20 yards away. This thing is BIG and it's a momma, too, tits running up and down the belly. There are about six other hogs with her, but she's the bad one, and the others run for the hills when they see us. She stays put, looking right at us. Dirty charcoal, full of dirt, with some nice choppers working on something. Otto is a little jumpy with the porker that close, but my little brother whips out the Weatherby, aims, fires and somehow misses the entire state of Texas. I mean we don't even see the round impact anywhere. As he works the bolt to chamber another round, Miss Piggy catches on that she may have a date with some eggs in a frying pan, and turns to run down the embankment. As she turns, her side is to me and I'm ready. My horse is calm and stable. I pop her three times with the carbine, pop, pop, pop, just like that. Takes maybe two seconds. She rolls over stone cold dead. Nessie grunts (I swear it was a laugh) and my little brother moans (he knows he'll never live this down). Otto is still jittery from the gunfire as we dismount to check out the hog. What a smell. Miss Piggy tops out at a robust 279lbs...way above the Texas average of 150 or so. Fancy $2,000 Weatherby-0, 1943 $200 M1 carbine-1, game over. Needless to say, the "the antique" is now known respectfully as the "ranch carbine". I hope someday I can bring her home.

• Like 2

First shots:

Semi-auto handgun - Beretta .22LR semi, was my Dad's, I think I was 10 years old at the time. From my hazy it memory it looked similar to a 92FS. Anyone happen to know the model number of that pistol? Never owned.

Revolver - friend's .357 mag, probably circa 2005

Rifle - Semi-auto .22LR, tube magazine, fiberglass stock, also dad's, shot same day as above handgun.

Shotgun - Benelli M2, 2008, mine, still owned.

First full auto "firearm" - BB gun "machine gun" - It was basically a plastic shell with pressure compartment that you poured a carton of bb's (and a dab of graphite) into, hooked up to an air compressor hose and then pulled the trigger which opened a valve. Air rushed through the compartment and out the barrel and carried bb's with it. Had it in high school, not sure what happened to it, but obviously don't have it any more.

First real full auto - MP5 - 2009. Not mine, but fired legally in NJ.

Remington Targetmaster .22LR. It was my dad's, and if I remember correctly, it's stamped 1943. I was about 8 or 9 years old (I'm 56 now), and I still have it and shoot it regularly. Open sights and accurate as hell at the rimfire range at CR.

shot gun browning a5 1983

rimfire rifle mossberg 144 lsb 1983

center fire savage 110 in 308 bought it becouse it was l/h kicks like hell worst recoil of any gun I own 1992

ruger black hawk .357 1992

ordered a winchester 9422 xtr 12 hrs after my son was born

First full auto "firearm" - BB gun "machine gun" - It was basically a plastic shell with pressure compartment that you poured a carton of bb's (and a dab of graphite) into, hooked up to an air compressor hose and then pulled the trigger which opened a valve. Air rushed through the compartment and out the barrel and carried bb's with it. Had it in high school, not sure what happened to it, but obviously don't have it any more.

I had that. It was a kick in the pants. I used an air compressor also. With freon it would lose power quickly. So I justed started using the freon adapters inverted (liquid feed) to superfreeze stuff :D

I want to know what everyones first was and the approx year you got it. Do you still have it?

First Shot - Father owned them since I was a youngster but I now have them.

• Rifle: Remington Model 572 Pump .22 (1999 - still have it)
  • Shotgun: Remington 870 Express Youth 20ga (1999 - Still have it)
  • Handgun: S&W 617 (1999 - Still have it)

1990 brought me:

-Beretta 92f

-Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag

(blued, with the ridiculously long barrel ..7.5"?)

1994:

-Winchester defender 12ga

-Ruger Mini 14 Ranch rifle-brushed stainless

All gone..I'm such a fool!

Dave T

Revolver: H, Schmidt .22 lr/WMR single-action (Paid $89.00 for it with both cylinders) 1985 Still have it in the Safe.

Semi_auto handgun: S&W 469. 1985.Hated it, got rid of it within a year

Rifle (used) Savage .22lr Bolt-action..1985 Still have that in the bottom of the safe

New Rifle Ruger #1 in .270 win 1986 IIRC, Still have that.

AR: Ar-15 A-2 HBAR 1987 Sold

AK: Hungarian Underfolder, 1988 Sold when the ban came

Lots of others over the years..some I kept, lots i got rid of