(732)Shootremington

Grip safety issue

This might be a little bit hard to follow I will try my best. My grip safety that I installed on my Remington 1911 r1 is giving me a problem. It's a Wilson combat drop in grip safety. The trigger cannot be pulled if the grip safety is not engaged which is correct but here is where I may lose you. If I try to pull the trigger without the grip safety engaged I can't, however if I then depress the grip safety down about half way the trigger can then pull, and to top it off I won't have to apply any more pressure on the grip safety to keep it depressed. I can move my hand away from it and if I am engaging the trigger the grip safety will stay depressed. Otherwise the safety checks work. It's confusing to me and I am not sure what it means. The grip safety fit fine without any filing, and I installed a new hammer also. Hope this makes sense

Wait for the REAL experts but the 1st thing I would look at is if the safety is dragging on anything second it it sounds like the safety return spring needs bending to make it stiffer and thirdly it sounds like the safety needs to be trimmed a little so it doesn't dissengage until it's fully depressed.

Drop in hay,,, No such thing.

Wait for the REAL experts but the 1st thing I would look at is if the safety is dragging on anything second it it sounds like the safety return spring needs bending to make it stiffer and thirdly it sounds like the safety needs to be trimmed a little so it doesn't dissengage until it's fully depressed.

Drop in hay,,, No such thing.

This^^^

C

It sounds like not enough of the grip safety is blocking the trigger bar to your satisfaction, though I'm not sure that it's "unsafe". My DW CBOB would "fire" if you pulled the trigger and breathed on the grip safety. I did some research and I did a few things to correct my issue.

I peened the part of the safety that blocks the trigger (lay the part of the safety that blocks the trigger on an anvil and whack it with a hammer to make it "thicker" top to bottom) to make it engage more positively.

I bent the right leg of the spring out a little bit to provide more pressure on the grip safety.

And I filed the bottom "lip" of the grip safety (the part that catches the mainspring housing as the safety pushes out) to give the safety a little more purchase on the back of the trigger bar.

All three of these things were done to a very minor extent, but they fixed my safety issue. HTH.