vladtepes

Firearms taken into evidence!?!?

so anywho.. you shoot someone in self defense in your home... does that not become evidence now?

makes me think there is something to be said for a cheap mossberg pump.. it is far more appealing to turn over a $300 gun than a $2,000 AR15..

I never thought of that, Time to bring the maverick 88 back out, that gun was so cheap I would be cool with that gun only having a one time HD use.

most people don't... which was the point of this thread..

I am pretty sure if you kill someone with a gun.. that gun is likely leaving your possession for at least some period of time.. if not forever.. which makes me very apprehensive to use anything super high end..

You shoot someone, there WILL be an investigation in this state! I have considered this and so my HD weapon is one I could care less about.

So you are saying every cop in this state is incompetent and will conduct an investigation when no investigation is warranted?

If I shoot someone in my house it is because it is justified. No crime, no need for an investigation. No way I would surrender my arms as evidence when I have done nothing wrong.

Your gun in that situation is going someplace and I'd bet you would rathe be home than with your gun at that point. ;-)

So you are saying every cop in this state is incompetent and will conduct an investigation when no investigation is warranted?

It has little to do with incompetence. Things today don't work off of logic and reason, only agendas and authority.

Your gun in that situation is going someplace and I'd bet you would rathe be home than with your gun at that point. ;-)

In my scenario I have well trained intelligent cops. I believe in my towns cops to do the right thing when the time comes.

Given we are in the PRNJ where every town makes its own rules on top of the garbage we get from Trenton, I would assume they would confiscate ALL of your guns until the investigating authority determines it was a "clean shoot" that was "justifiable".

• Like 1

So in your scenario the cops are worried more about their paycheck than the rights of the person and doing the right thing?

My scenario operates in the real world as opposed to a fantasy, so yes. Don't get me wrong, I'd love if things worked the way you wish they did. That would be awesome. I could believe it worked that way if I wanted, as that would make me think things were better and happier, yet that would be ignorant. I try to not be ignorant. But lots of people like to be. You are free to decide.

• Like 1

Am I the only who would care less if they took possesion of my firearm, after an incident where I had to discharge it in my home to protet myself or my family? Assuming it was a righteous shoot, my family was unharmed, and I was still breathing - take it as part of your investigation (just give me a receipt). Similar to how any possesion in my home is not worth dieing for and completely replaceable, so are my firearms, I do not have an emotional attachement to them - they are all tools, they are all S/N 100k of 100,000k's, and all replaceable.

• Like 6

a while back on nra radio they told the story of an elderly man who shot some burgler and the gun was seized. He was thretend by the guys family members so he bought another shotgun sure enough he gets attacked shoots the guy they seized the gun again.He goes to buy a 3rd gun and a tv reporter ambushes him and on tape asks him if hes done killing.both times it was justified and he got his guns back,I dont remember if it was over weeks or months the moral of the story maybe a mossberg 500 a better choice than a wilson combat

If I shoot someone in my house it is because it is justified. No crime, no need for an investigation. No way I would surrender my arms as evidence when I have done nothing wrong.

Whaaaa? You just killed someone in your house, the police come AFTER the fact and try to piece together what exactly happened. Thats called an investigation. They weren't there man, they only know that theres a dead guy laying there with a bullet or buckshot in him. You really dont think they arent going to take your gun as evidence? No way you would surrender your firearm huh? How do you plan on stopping them? For all they know you had an argument with a guy who you owed money to and you shot him. I'm not being a dick but cmon now.

• Like 5

Whaaaa? You just killed someone in your house, the police come AFTER the fact and try to piece together what exactly happened. Thats called an investigation. They weren't there man, they only know that theres a dead guy laying there with a bullet or buckshot in him. You really dont think they arent going to take your gun as evidence? No way you would surrender your firearm huh? How do you plan on stopping them? For all they know you had an argument with a guy who you owed money to and you shot him. I'm not being a dick but cmon now.

If we are going to make up stories way not make up a happy one? I choose to find my local cops competent to see a home invasion when it happens. You are welcome to assume yours are either to dumb or to worried about their job to go ahead and press an investigation when one is not warranted.

Im all for citizens rights and all but your out of your mind if you think after a fatal shooting occurs that the police aren't going to take the firearm you used as evidence. brb lets have him bring out the body too and just tell what happened and just write the report and go home. :facepalm:

I would assume that any firearm used in a homicide, justified or otherwise, would be seized until the investigation is complete. Also, the investigation doesn't just include the officers at the scene taking notes, that is called the preliminary investigation for a reason. Furthermore, it's not the officer at your house that decides if it was a good shoot or not. Ultimately that is the responsibility of a jury, since justification for use of force is an affirmative defense, though a judge and/or prosecutor can dismiss the case or fail to bring charges if they so choose.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to use a "good" gun for home defense. It's a tool, you want one that works, not a $350 High Point that I saw sieze open on its 3rd round ever at the range last week... At the same time though I wouldn't be using my great grandfathers 1911 that was carried in WWI either.

Maybe one of our resident LEOs could wiegh in on what their department would do.

Am I the only who would care less if they took possesion of my firearm, after an incident where I had to discharge it in my home to protet myself or my family? Assuming it was a righteous shoot, my family was unharmed, and I was still breathing - take it as part of your investigation (just give me a receipt). Similar to how any possesion in my home is not worth dieing for and completely replaceable, so are my firearms, I do not have an emotional attachement to them - they are all tools, they are all S/N 100k of 100,000k's, and all replaceable.

I could not agree more!

I am going to use the best tool for the job. If it gets seized afterwards, I have more tools.

While I agree that NJ is F-ed up, and will take your gun in even an obviously justified shooting, I do not see that as a reason to use a less effective tool to protect my life. This may even be a valid argument for all of those who advocate having two of the same firearm?

In my scenario I have well trained intelligent cops. I believe in my towns cops to do the right thing when the time comes.

If we are going to make up stories way not make up a happy one? I choose to find my local cops competent to see a home invasion when it happens. You are welcome to assume yours are either to dumb or to worried about their job to go ahead and press an investigation when one is not warranted.

I don't see how you would think the police would not do an investigation. That is what they are getting paid for. Do you expect them to say "Well if you say its justified its justified" or investigate the matter? You knowing its justified really doesn't matter that much after the fact. What matters is if the police, prosecutor, and if it goes that far a jury thinks you were justified, They are not going to figure it out without conducting an investigation.

This is got nothing to do with stupid NJ laws this would be anywhere.

Do you really expect your local police are so stupid that they would arrive at the scene, pat you on the back, and load up the bodies?

As far as my gun being taken into evidence, I really don't care as I'm alive. I will get the gun back but I could care if its the most expensive gun I own.

• Like 1

Seriously?

How do you see the chain of events happening after your justifiable shoot?

Let me get you started......

Shooting is done....... Sirens of LEO in distance....

You decribe what the next hour or two you think will be like.....

Ok go......

Hate to break your balls, but rumor has it, if your use a fire ARM that you legally posses, they take all of your firearms and do ballistic testing and what not on them. No different then when u get a temporary restraing order, or arrested as a violent crime. You must forfiet your weapons

• Like 1

It isn't a matter of Smart vs Dumb, it more of a matter of protocol.

I guarantee if you fight anyone of the investigators you going to talk yourself into more trouble. Could be a completely justified shooting, all evidence right there as plain as day, but SOP is SOP I would think.