LastShot

Cherry Ridge

what's the current situation with the front gate? I haven't gone in months and last time I was there it was still up. still no key fob in the mail or anything which is why i ask.

The simple answer is Don't worry about it, The gate will not go down till fobs are distributed. How and when the fobs will be distributed is still in the works.Many fobs will need to go out and will probably go out on the renewal cycle, (may be over a years time)

A call box still needs to be installed (for the fob less and vendors to summon a ro to open the gate) there is a key punch to manually open the gate with a code if fobs have not been received.

I only pickup my own brass. I don't want to cause a ruckus.

OOh come on now ,"a ruckus" Can't we all get along, I do not think someone would get offended If you introduced yourself and asked if they wanted there brass.(and helped them, by picking it up)

I never have a problem with that, What pisses me off is when I clean all my brass up ,and my shooting area through it away and before you know it some brassore is diving into the trash.

basically If you want the brass than work for it! Don't expect someone (like me) to spend two hours sweeping up after all the inconsiderate pigs, to put it in one easy centralized location , so you can pick through it as you like.

There is plenty on once fired brass to go around, Just be polite and ask, Hell you may actually make a new friend in the process.

OOh come on now ,"a ruckus" Can't we all get along, I do not think someone would get offended If you introduced yourself and asked if they wanted there brass.(and helped them, by picking it up)

I never have a problem with that, What pisses me off is when I clean all my brass up ,and my shooting area through it away and before you know it some brassore is diving into the trash.

basically If you want the brass than work for it! Don't expect someone (like me) to spend two hours sweeping up after all the inconsiderate pigs, to put it in one easy centralized location , so you can pick through it as you like.

There is plenty on once fired brass to go around, Just be polite and ask, Hell you may actually make a new friend in the process.

+1

To many whiners. Ask and most shooter that don't reload will be happy to let you pick up their brass.

Grow the fuk up!

Incidentally, I did get scolded once by one of the range board members (the rotund, short, and bearded old fellow who is the NRA recruiter, can't recall his name) who implied that I did not deserve the brass I was picking up, saying that only people who volunteered on the work weekends "have a right" to that brass,

Separate brass only containers is what I had always seen at the ranges I went to in New York. It never occured to me to try to scrounge through the garbage for brass. I suppose it is easy enough and I wouldn't find any dinner scraps in it, but I do draw a line. I find asking people that don't have the reloader habit of checking where their spent cases fly to are the best people to approach (those that do pickup their brass I like to suss out to see if I can find a place that has small pistol primers in stock).

However what intrigued me about your post is the idea that the volunteers get promised some of that brass. Semantics aside about rights, giving brass to range volunteers is a very good idea from a management standpoint.

1-Jul-12 200/300 30 Caliber SemiAutomatic Rifle Infantry Trophy 8:00 to 12:00

3-Jul-12 CH/100 Police -4 to 6 ports only 8:30 to noon

8-Jul-12 PR/100/SG/Sil Fairlawn Club Picnic 9:00 to 3:30

8-Jul-12 200/300 50 Shot National Match League 7:30 to 4:00

14-Jul-12 200/300 Tactical Match 8:30 to 1:00

15-Jul-12 200/300 80 Shot High Power Rifle Match 7:30 to 4:00

16-Jul-12 PR Police 8:30 to 2:30

21-Jul-12 100 Benchrest Match 9:00 to 1:00

22-Jul-12 200 Buffalo Rifle Match 8:00 to 1:00

28-Jul-12 All ranges closed Woman's Day [email protected]

29-Jul-12 200/300 Unlimited Rifle Infantry Trophy 8:00 to 12:00

This schedule is as completely useless as the one on the web site. Without even the slightest clue what each event entails, requires for firearms and ammo, etc, it's useless except for those few who already attend the event regularly. Some events have email addresses, but how about a simple page which describes each event?

I've suggested this multiple times to board members and webmasters, and no one has ever even responded.

CR becomes more and more like an insider old men's club. Publishing a schedule of events doesn't get you attendance without information, which CR is unwilling to provide.

This schedule is as completely useless as the one on the web site. Without even the slightest clue what each event entails, requires for firearms and ammo, etc, it's useless except for those few who already attend the event regularly. Some events have email addresses, but how about a simple page which describes each event?

I've suggested this multiple times to board members and webmasters, and no one has ever even responded.

CR becomes more and more like an insider old men's club. Publishing a schedule of events doesn't get you attendance without information, which CR is unwilling to provide.

I only post schedule as a convenience for the forum,and try to make it known if an event is canceled or rescheduled..

You need to Contact the event organizers for more info.

Cherry Ridge (the range) only sponsors the events,not run them.

I only post schedule as a convenience for the forum,and try to make it known if an event is canceled or rescheduled.. You need to Contact the event organizers for more info. Cherry Ridge (the range) only sponsors the events,not run them.

Shoot the messenger!!!

I went to Cherry Ridge for the first time yesterday with a buddy of mine (I was his guest). I was a little lost when I first got there, not knowing the specifics of each part of the range, but once I realised all our options I was psyched. I like the idea of separate ranges without limited slots (a la Fort Dix). We shot pistol and 50/100 yd rifle, for about 3.5 hours total.

I found all the ROs to be civil and polite, and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. We were approached by an RO for not having chamber flags in our pistols as we were finishing up our last round. He was super nice and reasonable about it, reinforcing the rules (to a newb) but not even an ounce of attitude. My buddy was asked to share the port with me as I was the guest, thereby making him responsible for my shooting. Obviously we would have preferred separate ports but it was a completely reasonable request and we were happy to comply. Fact is, if I want my own port and the full benefits of the range, I should pay membership fees just like everyone else.

Overall I was very happy with the experience and once I have the money for a membership, I intend to apply. (My Fort Dix annual membership recently expired and I was getting tired of the ROs down there. It's cheap but it's hard to stomach driving two hours to be treated like dirt.)

I went to Cherry Ridge for the first time yesterday with a buddy of mine (I was his guest). I was a little lost when I first got there, not knowing the specifics of each part of the range, but once I realised all our options I was psyched. I like the idea of separate ranges without limited slots (a la Fort Dix). We shot pistol and 50/100 yd rifle, for about 3.5 hours total.

I found all the ROs to be civil and polite, and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. We were approached by an RO for not having chamber flags in our pistols as we were finishing up our last round. He was super nice and reasonable about it, reinforcing the rules (to a newb) but not even an ounce of attitude. My buddy was asked to share the port with me as I was the guest, thereby making him responsible for my shooting. Obviously we would have preferred separate ports but it was a completely reasonable request and we were happy to comply. Fact is, if I want my own port and the full benefits of the range, I should pay membership fees just like everyone else.

Overall I was very happy with the experience and once I have the money for a membership, I intend to apply. (My Fort Dix annual membership recently expired and I was getting tired of the ROs down there. It's cheap but it's hard to stomach driving two hours to be treated like dirt.)

That's great to hear - I will be bringing a guest or two up there soon. My experience has been similar to yours - all the RO's have been great...the only incident I witnessed was when another shooter started marching out to change targets as the RO was just announcing an upcoming change. RO - "Wait until the buzzer stops before advancing to your target" at which time the guy starts walking out. No problem other than a "Hello?" question to the shooter who realized his error.

+1

To many whiners. Ask and most shooter that don't reload will be happy to let you pick up their brass.

Grow the fuk up!

I pick up my own brass as a courtesy to clean up. I dont reload, but considered it.

If someone usually asks me @ the range, I'll hand it over.

Someone made a great suggestion awhile back to stagger the target changes on the HG and rifle ranges, so one is on the hour and half hour; and the other is on the quarter and three-quarter hour to allow time to transition between them. Any chance of that ever happening?

Someone made a great suggestion awhile back to stagger the target changes on the HG and rifle ranges, so one is on the hour and half hour; and the other is on the quarter and three-quarter hour to allow time to transition between them. Any chance of that ever happening?

No. Change is the enemy.

The benefit? Fifteen minutes? Silly...

How about guys not lingering out at the 100yd during target changes so a target change doesn't take 15 minutes>

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I was cited for not just one, but two safety violations at CR yesterday.

In the first, I took a few steps away from my bench to collect my brass and left my handgun laying on the bench, locked open, mag out, and muzzle pointing down range. The RO came over and advised me that I needed to always place a safety flag in the chamber when my firearm is unattended. Now I certainly understand the logic of that on a target change, so people can be assured that the gun is unloaded, but what's the difference when the range is hot?

In the second, I reached over to place a firearm on the bench of a friend who was shooting next to me, again unloaded, mag out, being careful to keep the muzzle pointed downrange for the entire three seconds that it took me to move the gun over. As luck would have it, a gentleman in a dress shirt wearing a tie who happened to be walking by (a trustee presumably?) reminded me that, "At Cherry Ridge we do not transport uncased guns from one bench to another." At least that one kind of makes some sense to me.

I pride myself on being a safe shooter, but I guess I wasn't so good yesterday. Hey, at least I wasn't tossing any guns around!

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I was cited for not just one, but two safety violations at CR yesterday.

In the first, I took a few steps away from my bench to collect my brass and left my handgun laying on the bench, locked open, mag out, and muzzle pointing down range. The RO came over and advised me that I needed to always place a safety flag in the chamber when my firearm is unattended. Now I certainly understand the logic of that on a target change, so people can be assured that the gun is unloaded, but what's the difference when the range is hot?

In the second, I reached over to place a firearm on the bench of a friend who was shooting next to me, again unloaded, mag out, being careful to keep the muzzle pointed downrange for the entire three seconds that it took me to move the gun over. As luck would have it, a gentleman in a dress shirt wearing a tie who happened to be walking by (a trustee presumably?) reminded me that, "At Cherry Ridge we do not transport uncased guns from one bench to another." At least that one kind of makes some sense to me.

I pride myself on being a safe shooter, but I guess I wasn't so good yesterday. Hey, at least I wasn't tossing any guns around!

You were fine. The problem ain't you.

Go to a range in a different state. You can *gasp* carry a gun in a holster, draw and fire from it. Go to lunch at the clubhouse, with *gasp* your gun in a holster.

There's safety, then there is nitpicky bs. Vote with your feet.

Well,

Got my News & Breifs today in the mail, the annual meeting is on Sat Oct. 13 at 3:30 pm if anyone wants to let the board know how they feel. Also got a annual survey on the back of my ballot, I think I will be filling that out this year...........

You were fine. The problem ain't you.

Go to a range in a different state. You can *gasp* carry a gun in a holster, draw and fire from it. Go to lunch at the clubhouse, with *gasp* your gun in a holster.

There's safety, then there is nitpicky bs. Vote with your feet.

Old Glock Guy ,ALL Ranges Have rules that you are expected to follow, if you Chose to shoot there,If You Be leave It is to Much of a Burden To Make Your Unattended Firearm Safe, In the manner as Stated In the rules that you agreed to when you joined, than I would Take Malsua's Suggestion.

Just a side note How Would the same incident have gone 5 years ago?

Old Glock Guy ,ALL Ranges Have rules that you are expected to follow, if you Chose to shoot there,If You Be leave It is to Much of a Burden To Make Your Unattended Firearm Safe, In the manner as Stated In the rules that you agreed to when you joined, than I would Take Malsua's Suggestion.

Just a side note How Would the same incident have gone 5 years ago?

There were no chamber flags in use when I joined.........

I think the point is, we all agree safety is paramount, but nit picking and treating experienced shooters like children (like when I got told putting a chamber flag in the open cylinder of a revolver instead of in the barrel was unacceptable) is not doing anyone any benifit, and turns people off. It seems sometimes the ROs are enforcing rules for rules sake and not using common sense to see if the action someone does is really putting anyone in danger.

There were no chamber flags in use when I joined.........

I think the point is, we all agree safety is paramount, but nit picking and treating experienced shooters like children (like when I got told putting a chamber flag in the open cylinder of a revolver instead of in the barrel was unacceptable) is not doing anyone any benifit, and turns people off. It seems sometimes the ROs are enforcing rules for rules sake and not using common sense to see if the action someone does is really putting anyone in danger.

I would like to thank you for 20 plus years of support of cherry ridge range (yes Empty chamber indicators have been required that long,IE:"yellow flag") The Point safety IS paramount,As A life/long term member you should lead by example.

Was the RO abrasive in any way?

or was the RO simply explaining the preferred method?

The rules do evolve It maybe tasking to some, but they are very simple rules to shoot under.

I am trying to understand what the concern is.

Other ranges have much tighter rules,other ranges have looser rules.

5 years ago you would be tossed for the day if you did not have a flag installed.

I am sorry if you felt singled out but believe me the rules apply to all be it Noob or life member.

Other ranges have much tighter rules

Name one.

I'd like to point out, that if a chamber flag in the cylinder of a revolver is not safe, then you should require a chamber flag in every cylinder of a revolver.

No round can be in the barrel, therefore you must be worried about a chamber being empty.

I was hassled about a range flag through the action instead of in the barrel. Fair enough. I mean, it's suppose it's possible that an open action firearm could have a round in the chamber that is a hang fire that wasn't ejected when the action was opened and an operator that was completely unaware that there was an issue with the firearm. Of course, it's also possible that a firearm with a flag in the chamber could have a full magazine loaded, someone bumps the table, the slide stop lets go, a round is stripped off the magazine, The flag flips out of the action, the action closes and a puff of butterfly flatus magically sends the trigger backward too.

I don't have a dog in this fight.

I do see BOTH sides of this issue. Perhaps the Rules could "evolve" to include something such as: "ALL long arms are to be opened & chamber-flagged with muzzles pointed ONLY down-range PRIOR to being passed to an ajacent shooting bench, AND if the next intended shooter is more than a single bench away, said long arm should be cased and transported in the normal manner."

This makes common sense to me for long guns.

Hand guns should always be "rugged, cased, boxed" or otherwise put-away into something PRIOR to being re-deployed on the firing line or transported to another shooting bench.

Hope this helps in the long run.

Dave

Name one. Here is TWO

http://www.rtsponline.com/downloads/files/RTSP%20Range%20Forms%208-26-12.pdf

http://www.cjrpc.com/index.cfm?wpid=14

thanks for sniping.

I'd like to point out, that if a chamber flag in the cylinder of a revolver is not safe, then you should require a chamber flag in every cylinder of a revolver. You are correct,that is why it should be installed in a manner that the end of the flag contacts the rifling of the pistol,

The flags are for the members convenience. YOU CAN ALWAYS CASE YOUR FIREARM INSTEAD OF FLAGING,Whenever it is unattended.

No round can be in the barrel, therefore you must be worried about a chamber being empty.

I was hassled about a range flag through the action instead of in the barrel. Fair enough. I mean, it's suppose it's possible that an open action firearm could have a round in the chamber that is a hang fire that wasn't ejected when the action was opened and an operator that was completely unaware that there was an issue with the firearm. Of course, it's also possible that a firearm with a flag in the chamber could have a full magazine loaded, someone bumps the table, the slide stop lets go, a round is stripped off the magazine, The flag flips out of the action, the action closes and a puff of butterfly flatus magically sends the trigger backward too.

If you were it fact "hassled" I do apologize, this should not happen

I will attempt to Personally correct this.

As you said, And I agree with, If you do not believe you can shoot at any range because of some restrictions, than Do Not.

If you Chose to than abide by its rules,or lobby to change them.

I don't believe you'll find anyone who has shot at CJRPC or RTSP who will agree with you that they are stricter ranges than Cherry Ridge.

There is a gulf of a difference between safety and aggressive rule enforcement for its own sake. You yourself just mentioned casing firearms.

Why is that safe? It isn't. I could put a loaded gun, with a hang fire round in it in a case, close it and turn it sideways to the line. A .50SW could probably get 5 or 6 people before it's done once it blew out the side of the case.

I do not accept unsafe handling of firearms for myself or anyone around me so please don't think I'm trying to compromise safety. There is however a limit to the amount of safe handling necessary. A revolver with a range flag through the cylinder IS SAFE but I'll leave it at that.

You're just trying to enforce the rules, such as they are, an unenviable role.

Do you not see the frustration however?

For anybody that complains about range rules...try this...let everyone shoot as they want...let's count on their "experience","discipline" and professionalism to keep everyone safe..let me know how that works out...then when people start getting hurt and insurance companies refuse to insure ranges and we have none left to shoot at in an already small number of places , then we can talk about how we don't want to follow simple range rules.