Vlad G

Lets see if NJ prosecutes these guys

The way the story reads, two guys killed one guy for trying to swipe a cell phone. I didn't see any reference to any sort of weapon, or any real threat of physical harm, other than "hitting him in the head".

Last I heard, snatch 'n grab wasn't a capital offense. If they could subdue him, they could have likely restrained him.

I'd love to hear the rest of the story, but based on the article, I'm thinking prosecution.

The way the story reads, two guys killed one guy for trying to swipe a cell phone. I didn't see any reference to any sort of weapon, or any real threat of physical harm, other than "hitting him in the head".

Last I heard, snatch 'n grab wasn't a capital offense. If they could subdue him, they could have likely restrained him.

I'd love to hear the rest of the story, but based on the article, I'm thinking prosecution.

I'd hope at the MOST they would charge him with involuntary manslaughter. Then the jury could find him not guilty. However I dont think they should be charged at all. I'd like to be on the jury.

To the perp, you wanna play with fire, your gonna get burned.

In a free state like Nevada when someone is killed defending themselves it's over. In NJ it goes to a Grand Juty!

That may be so, but in NJ all you can legally do is stop the threat. You can't choke the life out of someone (if that's what happened) just because you can. It's no different than shooting someone in the back as he's running out of your house, or putting one in his head "to teach the others a lesson". It may not be the best law, but it's the one we live under.

Feel free to try to change the laws, but until that happens, they are what they are.

I'm sure "pending autopsy" will come into play here. There are no specifics as to what kind of hold .As for rear naked chokes( it does not say he used that hold though ) , a few way it could kill someone A) you the choke hold for long after the opponent completely passes out B ) you're doing it wrong and it becomes an air choke rather than a blood choke ..and you crush an airway C) the person being choked has some existing medical condition or is under the influence of certain narcotics , and goes into cardiac arrest or something of that nature.

There was a guy in my Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy that went to the ER after class one day because he was dizzy ( and we were working on escape from rear naked chokes that day) A full workup revealed he had an issue with his carotid artery , and that his life had been in danger anytime he was practicing any kind of blood choke and especially chokes using gi collars. He had to quit , but was lucky he caught it in time.

So yeah , it will be an autopsy before anyone knows anything more about this case. It would be a shame if charges are filed since they were defending themselves. Many robberies escalate to assault or murder even when the victim complies and hands over their properly. There are plenty of incidents where someone will hand over their wallet and then get shot , stabbed , or beaten severely anyway.

Hmmm. Could the students have been robbing the guy and killed him. So to cover it up they made up this story. :aikido:

Whenever I see a story like that that sounds a bit fishy, I always have to wonder what really happened. Tough to make an accurate call from a brief newspaper account that only presents one side.

Whenever I see a story like that that sounds a bit fishy, I always have to wonder what really happened. Tough to make an accurate call from a brief newspaper account that only presents one side.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to think about this one from the story. That area of Newark is not the worst, but I can't imagine any reason I I would be strolling around out there in the wee hours of the morning. The truth about this could be very far off from the newspaper account.

Even if it is completely and totally justified, this kid has to live with the fact that he literally choked the life out of someone. I believe that shooting someone dead would be a tough burden for me and to have killed someone up close and personal; with my bare hands would really be rough. Even if I had no other choice.

You can accidentally kill someone just by laying on them while they are face down. If you don't let their chest rise and fall to breath they can suffocate. That is something that they tell you about in the academy. You can can not even know it is happening

Not a lot of info in the article. From what it sounds like is the same old story at 1:30am "got a light", "got a smoke", "got some change".

They should of said they would call the cops to see if the police could help him out.