winki

Optic for an M1A Scout

Hey guys,

I am in the process of painting and beautifying my M1A scout squad which I primarily use for recreational shooting but it is also my worst case scenario civil unrest rifle. Maximum fun is the primary consideration here.

I am seriously considering mounting an Aimpoint Comp ML3 in the factory forward mount. Does anyone know what kind of scope rings / mount work best for this setup? My brother is a state trooper out in Idaho and I was very impressed with his aimpoint.

I'm planning on taking this rifle to Idaho to hunt wolves in May and I realize a low magnification optic would probably be suited but I don't plan on taking 500 yard shots on a regular basis.

Thanks for any feedback and I'll post a picture of my paint job when it's done in a few days.

I have the Scout Squad, but have never considered throwing on optics. I enjoy the iron sights, and regularly hit a 18"x24" steel target at 240 yards at Central Jersey. I don't know what the recommended max distance is for a 308 semi-auto rifle, but I wouldn't feel good about shooting live targets past 150yards with my unscoped M1A. I want a quick and humane kill and am not sure my accuracy is good enough past that range. I don't know how much that range is extended with a scoped gun.

I have the AimPoint PRO (which is close to the ML3) on my Colt 6940. It is a great optic. I am sure it would work well on the M1A, but forward optics are more for speed acquisition of targets rather than long distance precision. I don't think that optic will put you on a live animal target much past 300 yards. And I personally wouldn't take a shot from that range with that gun just because I would worry about wounding the animal.

Thanks Lunker,

I don't really plan on taking any shots past 300 yards. If I see something past that range and I don't get a chance to shoot it then that's just too bad. I'm not so interested in taking game as I am being in the great outdoors.

From what I hear, the wolves in Idaho are pretty skittish beasts. The out of state tag was only $25 (or was it $35???) bucks.

what about a low mag scope with extended eye relief i would take a shot past 100 or 150 with a scope on my gun (if hunting animals) rather then aimpoint.

I thought about that a lot and I think a low mag scope would make more sense for hunting (as opposed to the aimpoint) but I am a very infrequent hunter.

My primary intention here is to put about 10 big holes down range on the paper zombie target as fast as possible so I am going with the aimpoint. I just don't know what I need to mount the thing.

My primary intention here is to put about 10 big holes down range on the paper zombie target as fast as possible so I am going with the aimpoint.

Nothing wrong with that. That's in fact how I like to shoot as well. As Bob (Pizza Bob) says in reference to me: You don't like to shoot MOA, you like to shoot MOBG (minute of bad guy). That being said, this is the exact reason why you should NOT hunt with this rifle, unless you know how to put that round EXACTLY where it needs to go.

Nothing wrong with that. That's in fact how I like to shoot as well. As Bob (Pizza Bob) says in reference to me: You don't like to shoot MOA, you like to shoot MOBG (minute of bad guy). That being said, this is the exact reason why you should NOT hunt with this rifle, unless you know how to put that round EXACTLY where it needs to go.

I've been hunting many times before when i was younger and i dont have a problem hunting wolf with a .308. If i have to pass up a shot because its out of range or obscured or whatever i really dont care. Ill just fish on the river and enjoy 5 days with my bro. If i have a good shot and bag a wolf thats cool also.

Any idea on the aimpoint mount?