Krdshrk

Superbowl Sniper Nest

I have a question. Has there ever been a police sniper takeout of a bad guy in a situation where the bad guy(s) is hundreds of yards away, surrounded by hundreds if not thousands of walking law suits?

In fact, other than on TV and in the movies, how often do police snipers on buildings/crow's nests ever take a shot that takes out a bad guy? Any cites?

This sniper nest is completely ridiculous and unnecessary. It will never be used, the liability is too high.

As far as the rights go, I don't see it as an infringement. What I do see it though is a bullet point on a security briefing. It's theater, nothing more.

I agree. Also, we can assume the main threat these days is from terrorists, and I would think they are going to use something unexpected that takes out a lot of people, such as when they used Boeings as weapons on 9/11.

• Like 1

I think its a good idea to have them up there. They are out of my way, out of sight, and are a tool to be used if the situation waranted... like counter-sniper type activities where ground forces could not get to the bad guy in time.

Now if they started stationing tacticooled up storm-trooper style guards all over the stadium, that would be pushing the limits and the whole "police state" thing comes into play. Well in my book anyway.

I have no problem with them there. It's just a quicker tool to neutralize a problem over LE on the ground. I sure know if some crazed person was there and could be stopped from causing harm to others. well that's a good thing. After all it's a changing world we live in not always the friendliest.

Also you have to wonder how good a view of low cut tops that scope really has... :icon_mrgreen:

Pure theatrics.

No one is going to make, a say, 200 yard shot into a crowd surrounding 1 bad guy.

As soon as people (the crowd) realize something is going on, they are either going to attack the BG or run away. So this Sniper hundreds of yards away is going to make the 1 in a million shot and stop a threat? I don't think so. More likely going to hit a bystander if a shot is taken.

Better to have undercover cops in each section watching. And try to stop the threat before crowd becomes an issue.

Oh and what exactly are they protecting us from?

No 100% sure but pretty sure that there were metal detectors and bomb sniffing dogs at entrances.

Bomber, nope by the time you know hes there its to late

Active shooter? See the shoot into a crowd statement.

Guy with a Spork? Maybe.

• Like 1

Rught and when Johnny dipstick DOES go off you'll be the first to be screaming "Why didnt the cops take him out" We get it..No Police can do ANY good at Any Time.

You didn't answer the question. And no, I won't be the one screaming anything about the cops. I don't expect that anything they do can stop a determined threat.

You're wrong. Active Shooter, the stadium is Huge, getting people to the site of a disturbance, especially when you add in a few thousand screaming panicked people is virtually impossible. BTW this isnt "New" this has been going on since the 1970's..it's just something that was never really talked about.

I don't think I'm really so happy about us talking about this subject at all! It sorta goes against my "grain" and could possibly be used by the Bad Guys.

Just because one source releases this photo to the net, every Kid on the internet that wants to play "Tacticool" has to keep re-transmitting it. :facepalm:

IMHO this image/story has no business being here or anywhere else, as this is a lapse in security, plain & simple. It's almost as bad as Geraldo Rivera drawing maps of our Bases in Iraq, giving land marks and positions of troops & materiel inside the Base. Some things are better left unsaid, and this image could maybe help the Bad Guys, so why risk it? If the President or VP were in attendance at the Super Bowl, transmitting this image prior to the game could be construed as a threat to National Security.

The whole 2A slant with CCW and Macho Men coming out of the woodwork is just ridiculous. With a Cadre of "Alphabet Soup": JTTF, FBI, NSA, CIA, DOJ, Interpole, Indiana St. PD, etc., etc., if one poor dumb SOB pulls a gun to shoot a Mad Bomber the Good Guy is just as likely to get "taken-out" by any number of responders, including a Sniper.

I'm glad nothing happened. We'll never know if a real "stop" was made during or prior to the Game. Hell for all I know the people that released the image may have been told to do so to keep the Bad Guys on their toes and forcing them to spend money & assests to investigate our Sniper nest. Like I said at the onset of my post, we're better off leaving this one alone.

After the London bombing of 2008, for a while there were helicopters constantly hovering over a number of places of mass congregations in NYC. There were sometimes 2 or 3 at once above Times Sq, for example. Then in some newspaper (Metro, I think), I saw a photograph taken from inside one of the helos. There is a spotter/sniper fire team in the door port.

Edit: phone typos

Just another example of a police state...... This is getting overkill by just a little bit.

I just got home from a cruise. We left A Florida port with many police, Police boats Coast Guard, helicopters, over 500 uniform officers at the port, Police Dogs, Police speed boats. ID checks every 300 ft. We went to 4 ports outside the U.S. Not 1 police boat, very few officers no helicopters. I felt no less safe and more of a free person. We have become a Police State her in America. We are no longer free.

• Like 2

Gun is an xm2010. Optics from us optics. Xlr industries tripod. Try posted the pics on thierry Facebook page. According to their Facebook page the rifle was not looking down on anyone and only binoculars were used when people were in the stadium. Rifle was off to the side in case it was needed.

Of course. But we gun owners know that anyone but ourselves would be sweeping the public with loaded rifles and likely had the finger on the trigger. Because only we can be safe and everyone else is an a- hole that has no trigger discipline and sweeps the general public . Good thing we all exist ' cuz no one else can do it right.

You're wrong. Active Shooter, the stadium is Huge, getting people to the site of a disturbance, especially when you add in a few thousand screaming panicked people is virtually impossible. BTW this isnt "New" this has been going on since the 1970's..it's just something that was never really talked about.

You're absolutely right. Mea culpa.

• Like 1

If you can not see the direction this country is heading, you need to pay more attention. If you don't see the big deal in this, you are missing the picture. If you think he was there because of 'terrorism' you are probably thinking about the wrong type of terrorism.

The US is moving towards a police state. In fact, it is already there. This is just another example. Did he serve any legitimate purpose? Can you think of an example or scenario where he could have helped in a situation? Probably not, because there wasn't one. But they do this, and show it, so the next time, you think, "oh, they did this before/do this all the time, it's not a big deal. In fact, that has already happened in posts in this thread. You are already being conditioned.

If you wish your rights to be constantly eroded away in the name of safety, I'll have no sympathy when you lose them all. But me, and RedBowTies for example, like our rights, and like being able to make our own choices.

Terrorism is real. It is not something made up. But unfortunately most people have the wrong idea of what terrorism is. I'll define it for you all. It is defined as "the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes." or "the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion". I see terrorism all the time. And it isn't from some infidels or Al 'Qaida.

The government isn't here to protect you. It isn't going to protect your family. They don't care about your rights. They don't care about your safety. They do care about power, control, money, their own political gain, and financial gain. If you look throughout history, you will find that when governments and leaders began to strip individuals of freedoms and liberties, it ALWAYS came in the name of 'safety' and 'security'. No doubt, this sniper was there for the peoples safety. The only thing we need protection from is our own government.

• Like 1

The goverment authorizing someone to be in a stitation where he could end and one or several of thousands of peoples lives in the blink of an eye isn't a downside?

its all a matter of opinion. I would like the opportunity to proptect myself

Bolt guns are always killing thousands in the blink of an eye, I know.

So here is the simple question put into a scenario less closer to home. If terrorist plot documentation was uncovered saying there is a plan to make an ANFO bomb and drive it into a major event and detonate it, according to some of the logic found in this thread, having a bomb squad present at major events now constitutes a police state erroding my rights?

So here is the simple question put into a scenario less closer to home. If terrorist plot documentation was uncovered saying there is a plan to make an ANFO bomb and drive it into a major event and detonate it, according to some of the logic found in this thread, having a bomb squad present at major events now constitutes a police state erroding my rights?

I think a more equivalent comparison would be the bomb squad planting small bombs at choke points. This way, if the bomber appeared, they could blow him up with minimal collateral damage. It's for your safety, dontcha know.

• Like 1

Guys, I really think that unless someone here steps foward as a SME on the subject, I cant understand the comments... Do you guys think that the local PD just decides yeah, i guess we will role out there and setup for the hell of it? Or that there is some overt plan to create a police state? The superbowl is a major event. As an event of this size It comes under the auspices of DHS, FBI, NCC etc etc and there are Fed groups that perform an entire assesment of these events which is required by policy if its a qualifying event. Since things like the Al Qa'ida handbook specifically name events like this, countermeasures to those activities are in place. Its not "the man" keeping you down. All specific threat possibilities are analysed, foriegn and domestic, and countermeasures are layered in place. It is simply routine, nothing more.......

The ONE layer that is mising is private CCW, that, I will agree on.

• Like 1

It is simply routine, nothing more...

Show us zee papers. Routine inspection, I assure you.

Has anyone else visited natural wonders elsewhere in the world? I've been to 50+ countries and when you walk up to a precipice, not in the USA, the first thing you notice is the lack of railings. When you're in mainland China and you light off fireworks, you don't look around for the cops to come crashing down with riot gear and clubs. They come to watch to. In Honduras, you can drive your 4 wheeler onto the beach and your dog can come as well. We're so far down the road of an omnipresent police apparatus that most people wouldn't recognize freedom if it came right up and took a dump on their feet. We took a boat down the Kwai river in Thailand, paid the guy a few Baht and he took us over to a cave and his wife fed us some local fruits when we came out. No tax man, no park rangers, no warning signs. Just "here's a cave, go have a look". I've been to so many places that can't exist in the USA because we're so overrun by police presence in everything we do. Can't change a water heater, need a permit for that. Can't remodel a bathroom, need permission for that. Can't cut down a tree, need permission for that. It's god damn ridiculous.

• Like 3

Show us zee papers. Routine inspection, I assure you.

Has anyone else visited natural wonders elsewhere in the world? I've been to 50+ countries and when you walk up to a precipice, not in the USA, the first thing you notice is the lack of railings. When you're in mainland China and you light off fireworks, you don't look around for the cops to come crashing down with riot gear and clubs. They come to watch to. In Honduras, you can drive your 4 wheeler onto the beach and your dog can come as well. We're so far down the road of an omnipresent police apparatus that most people wouldn't recognize freedom if it came right up and took a dump on their feet. We took a boat down the Kwai river in Thailand, paid the guy a few Baht and he took us over to a cave and his wife fed us some local fruits when we came out. No tax man, no park rangers, no warning signs. Just "here's a cave, go have a look". I've been to so many places that can't exist in the USA because we're so overrun by police presence in everything we do. Can't change a water heater, need a permit for that. Can't remodel a bathroom, need permission for that. Can't cut down a tree, need permission for that. It's god damn ridiculous.

pretty soon we wont be able to fart without permission from someone....

The things you describe are, in my opinion, better discussed and considered in the vein of paternalism in the law. The discussion is a short one, however, because I disagree with most aspects of law that are developed in this vein.

Like Jesse James said on observing some kids in the back of a pickup in Mexico, if this was the US, Family Services would be all over them.......