Juddster

New 9mm, what to get?

I know there are a bunch of topics on here about which gun etc, I figured one more wouldnt hurt! ;) I have 2 PP's that I have to use, I am currently shooting a 1911 45 Springfield TRP. and love it! I would like to get a new 9mm, Im torn between the Sig 226, M&P 9 pro and the PPQ (thanks to wombat) im somewhat interested in a Glock but not crazy about them. Im buying this gun for range practice and for getting my kids into shooting, I usually rent a 9 or revolver when they come to the range. I want something that doesnt kick too bad is fairly cheap to shoot (9mm) yet is accurate and fun to shoot. Any opinions are appreciated!! I would also like to try SJSC or CJRPC possibly as I am considering joining an outdoor range. Thanks in advance for all your input. Judd

I love how ray throws wrenches in there haha, I own both a sig p229 which is the brother of the 226 and I own the PPQ.

The guns are quite different, ones all metal other is poly with metal slide, sig is hammer fire/decocker no safety, PPQ is striker fire quick reset trigger, no safety, only way to make PPQ safe is clearing chamber and pulling trigger.

The PPQ ergonomics is second to none the sig feels very good for a all metal frame and for smaller hands fits well.

There's something about the sig though where I feel I could throw it at a brick wall and have confidence in it shooting no problem.

I dont think I could do that with my PPQ,the spring of the Sig seems more durable as well and has a metal guide rod the PPQ's rod is plastic, the spring is good and works well but seems odd to me.

As far as accuracy I shoot well with both, definitely well enough for defensive purposes,that said I am more accurate with my PPQ.

If I needed to carry something light and slim and with very fast trigger I would carry the PPQ, If I felt the Apocalypse was coming or I was going into a harsh environment I would grab my sig. This is how I see these two guns, both very good firearms but serve different purposes in my eyes.

I love how ray throws wrenches in there haha, I own both a sig p229 which is the brother of the 226 and I own the PPQ.

The guns are quite different, ones all metal other is poly with metal slide, sig is hammer fire/decocker no safety, PPQ is striker fire quick reset trigger, no safety, only way to make PPQ safe is clearing chamber and pulling trigger.

The PPQ ergonomics is second to none the sig feels very good for a all metal frame and for smaller hands fits well.

There's something about the sig though where I feel I could throw it at a brick wall and have confidence in it shooting no problem.

I dont think I could do that with my PPQ,the spring of the Sig seems more durable as well and has a metal guide rod the PPQ's rod is plastic, the spring is good and works well but seems odd to me.

As far as accuracy I shoot well with both, definitely well enough for defensive purposes,that said I am more accurate with my PPQ.

If I needed to carry something light and slim and with very fast trigger I would carry the PPQ, If I felt the Apocalypse was coming or I was going into a harsh environment I would grab my sig. This is how I see these two guns, both very good firearms but serve different purposes in my eyes.

Great reply, thank you!

+1 for PPQ. I researched 9mm's for 2 months and had narrowed it down to a CZ 75 SP-01, Glock 19 and Walther PPQ. As soon as I held the PPQ next to the Glock it was all over. Find a local guy that has both in stock and hold them next to each other.

If you want a non-plastic gun CZ 75 of some version is the way I'd go

Edit: very comprehensive review of the PPQ after shooting it quite a bit by the aforementioned TheWombat http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/20084-ppq-10-weeks-3000-rounds.html

And yes, we're all pretty sure he gets commission every time PPQ is mentioned on the forums :onthequiet:

• Like 1

No comment :-)

I have a Sig P226 and the PPQ (and a .45 1911). If I had to only chose one it would be the PPQ. As a good all rounder (carry, home defense, range) the PPQ is an amazing buy.

I like my Sig a lot, and with the .22 conversion kit being available it is very good at the range. If you decide to go for the P226 then think hard about whether to go for the beavertail or not. I went for the beavertail however find that the web of my hand doesn't fit as well as I would like around the beavertail. Also think about whether you want the new Sig E2 grip, the old style grip or pay extra for Hogues. I fitted Hogues.

Also, unless you're willing to really practice with DA/SA transition then the Sig may not be the best option. My Sig is a little more accurate than the PPQ, but both can get tight groupings at 15+ yards with no problem.

I've shot the M&P (non Pro) a few times and just struggle with the triggers being so mushy, even on one that had had a trigger job.

The PPQ wins hands down re: value for money (for the firearm albeit magazines will be a bit more pricey at $35)

:-)

TheWombat

No comment :-)

I have a Sig P226 and the PPQ (and a .45 1911). If I had to only chose one it would be the PPQ. As a good all rounder (carry, home defense, range) the PPQ is an amazing buy.

I like my Sig a lot, and with the .22 conversion kit being available it is very good at the range. If you decide to go for the P226 then think hard about whether to go for the beavertail or not. I went for the beavertail however find that the web of my hand doesn't fit as well as I would like around the beavertail. Also, unless you're willing to really practice with DA/SA transition then the Sig may not be the best option.

I've shot the M&P (non Pro) a few times and just struggle with the triggers being so mushy, even on one that had had a trigger job.

TheWombat

Thanks Wombat, I really love your review of the PPQ, I know you have the Sig too, I thought I read in one of your posts that you think the Sig is more accurate then the PPQ? thats kinda my only hold back, I want something I can shoot and feel good about my accuracy like my 1911, I realize they are two different animals. Thanks for your input!

Thanks Wombat, I really love your review of the PPQ, I know you have the Sig too, I thought I read in one of your posts that you think the Sig is more accurate then the PPQ? thats kinda my only hold back, I want something I can shoot and feel good about my accuracy like my 1911, I realize they are two different animals. Thanks for your input!

Honestly, you will feel good about your accuracy with the PPQ as well, the differences are minimal. Part of the difference for me is more subjective as:

1. My Sig has a Dawson fiber optic front sight and a Warren tactical rear sight which gives a very good sight picture (assuming it is day light). My PPQ has Trijicon 3 dot night sights.

2. The Sig is metal so there is less felt recoil

I like the PPQ enough that I'm about to buy a 2nd one and both the Sig and the PPQ are far more accurate than I am.

As a general just pick up and shoot firearm that is fun and enjoyable I rate the PPQ over my Ed Brown, and I'm assuming that the Ed Brown Trigger will be even sweeter than the Springfield TRP that you have.

hth

TheWombat

Since when did M&P triggers become 'mushy'? I have shot 3 different M&P's now, one with a trigger job, one with the Apex kit, and one stock. All of them were good.

I just bought an M&P 9 and I have no problem with the trigger at all.

You can't beat the 75b as a range toy. More accurate than most pistols and more accurate than you'll ever be able to shoot haha.

Polymer, I'd try shooting a bunch and go from there.

• Like 1

Honestly, you will feel good about your accuracy with the PPQ as well, the differences are minimal. Part of the difference for me is more subjective as:

1. My Sig has a Dawson fiber optic front sight and a Warren tactical rear sight which gives a very good sight picture (assuming it is day light). My PPQ has Trijicon 3 dot night sights.

2. The Sig is metal so there is less felt recoil

I like the PPQ enough that I'm about to buy a 2nd one and both the Sig and the PPQ are far more accurate than I am.

As a general just pick up and shoot firearm that is fun and enjoyable I rate the PPQ over my Ed Brown, and I'm assuming that the Ed Brown Trigger will be even sweeter than the Springfield TRP that you have.

hth

TheWombat

Ed B over my TRP?? not so sure about that one...... I'd be happy to shoot em both with you sometime and let you decide ;) Oh and thanks again for your input on the PPQ, I will be visiting Paul to pick one up!

Ed B over my TRP?? not so sure about that one...... I'd be happy to shoot em both with you sometime and let you decide ;) Oh and thanks again for your input on the PPQ, I will be visiting Paul to pick one up!

Deal! Happy to try a comparison between the Ed B over the TRP

TheWombat

Converting the world to the Walther PPQ one person at a time!