siderman

Remington R1? Opinions?

My son just called me for my opinion on the Rem R1 Enhanced version. He's going out on field manuevers for 3-4 weeks and said when he gets back may grab one if his papers are ready. I'm not bursting with experience on 1911's altho i do have a Armscor tactical. Did the usual inet looks but if anyone has any hands on time or knowledge they'd like to share it would help. Thanx.

I don't mean to disrespect the Rem 1911 owner, but I am not a fan, as much as i'd want to be since I like Remington. Bad fitting, and THE WORST trigger i have ever felt on a 1911. There are many better options for the same or less money. Look at STI Spartan (built by Armscor with STI parts), Rock Island (armscor), and even Taurus. I would suggest looking at the Ruger 1911, but it is selling at MSRP now and seems to be made of unobtainium due to demand and low production numbers.

My buddy has an R1, and I have to disagree with you on the trigger. Are there better triggers?... yes for sure. But to call it the worst, I would have to say definitely not.

it is actually just as accurate as some Kimber and Sig 1911's that I have shot.

I have one and the fit and finish is awesome. Its not a Wilson Combat.I believe that for the price you cant beat it. I have read that there has been some bad milling, fitting ect... But thats to be expected for a mass produced pistol.

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

I had a chance to play around with the R1 and felt a strange resistance when pulling back the slide. Almost as if a piece in the slide and part of the frame were scraping against each other when the slide is almost fully pulled back. Is this normal for any of you guys and would it cause any issues down the line? I compared the R1 to a Kimber that was beside it and the Kimber didn't have anything like that at all.

Pretty interested in a getting a 1911 as my next handgun so I'd like to hear any of your opinions if anyone can chime in on this.

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

I had a chance to play around with the R1 and felt a strange resistance when pulling back the slide. Almost as if a piece in the slide and part of the frame were scraping against each other when the slide is almost fully pulled back. Is this normal for any of you guys and would it cause any issues down the line? I compared the R1 to a Kimber that was beside it and the Kimber didn't have anything like that at all.

Pretty interested in a getting a 1911 as my next handgun so I'd like to hear any of your opinions if anyone can chime in on this.

Was the hammer down or cocked when you felt this resistance? Try pulling the slide back once, then back again with the hammer cocked. If you still feel the same resistance, there may be an issue. However when you pull the slide back with the hammer down, you're compressing both the recoil spring, AND the main spring. With the hammer cocked, you're just compressing the recoil spring.

Was the hammer down or cocked when you felt this resistance? Try pulling the slide back once, then back again with the hammer cocked. If you still feel the same resistance, there may be an issue. However when you pull the slide back with the hammer down, you're compressing both the recoil spring, AND the main spring. With the hammer cocked, you're just compressing the recoil spring.

Yea, the hammer was already cocked back when I felt the resistance. I was really looking forward to playing around with the R1, but that kind of turned me off from wanting one at that point. I mean the piece was brand spankin new right out of the case. The RIA officers model felt 10x smoother IMO and about $200 cheaper so I might go for that considering the many positive reviews here on the forum.

While I am fan of Remington and own some of their products, the R1 did not impress me much. I thought the slide-to-frame fit was so-so, at best, and the trigger was terrible. This opinion came from an early sample I tried a few years ago at Brick Armory. They may be (and I hope they are) better now.

Can I ask how long ago this was? The R1 is a relatively new gun. Just with anything else mass produced, there's usually some bugs with the earlier pieces of production.

This was less than a month ago.