Sign in to follow this  
Underdog

FNH FNS-40 Review

There are also plans for a compact one. I hope that that one will have NJ usable magazines in the 9mm.

I have a question: why does this gone have a 1911-style beavertail? Besides visual aesthetics, is there any function to it in a striker-fired pistol?

It enables you to grip the gun higher and have a lower bore axis which helps in controlling muzzle flip and keeping you on target with multiple shots. It also aids in helping you get the same exact grip each time you pickup the gun and to get a quicker sight picture.

Sounds to me like the used the exact same mags as the FNP models (at least based on capacity) so .. try those? Also they kept the FNP grip insert design which is a shame, S&W showed the world how to that right already.

The FNP series magazines are different from the FNX magazines. The FNX magazines are interchangeable with the FNS magazines in the .40 S&W caliber only. FNX-9 and FNS-9 magazines are not interchangeable. And FNP magazines are not interchangeable either. So, the FNS-40 and FNX-40 share the same magazines and are usable in NJ. There were no 10-round magazines made for the FNX-9, although the FNP-9s were available with them. Additionally, there was an FNP-9 Compact which I think had 15-round magazines for it.

If you are interested in an FNP-9, look for a USG model that can be used cocked and locked.

I would have bought an FNX-9, if it had come in NJ usable magazines, and if the magazines would have been interchangeable with the FNS-9. I would still buy an FNP-9 USG, or the compact version which I don't think was made in the USG configuration, if one could be had at a good price.

Supposedly, the FNS-9 will 10-rounders available, eventually, but probably not when first released. There is also talk about an FNS-9 Compact being released which might be really nice and might have magazines usable in NJ.

I want an FNS-40 and an FNS-9 Compact. The compact will have about a 3.6" barrel length and have a 12-round magazine. I would also like to get an FNX-40 to complement it (and because I like hammer-fired guns).

I know one company that has the mag interchangeablility figured out. :)

And, the magazines are not cheap and harder to find for the FN guns. There is nothing wrong with a Glock, except it doesn't shoot as well and it doesn't have the awesome blocky ergonomics of the FN.

I'm resurrecting this thread because I came a across some reports of a serious design problem with the FNS. If you own one be aware, if you don't but were planning on getting one you might want to wait until FN fixes this.

The problem is explained here but the core of it is that the gun can lock up pretty badly with a live round in the chamber, and the only way to unload it is to press the trigger. This can happen at worst possible time. Check out the video's showing the issue: