Sign in to follow this  
ITman

Do LEO's need handgun permits to purchase

I was filling out the paperwork to apply for a couple of handgun permits and I started to wonder if LEO's are exempt from the process of submitting what essentially is a new FID application everytime they want to purchase a new handgun. Does the "one hand gun every 30 days" apply to LEO's?

It simply amazes me that I need to go through this everytime I want to make a handgun purchase, especially since my work requires an active DOD clearance and my background is checked much more thoroughly than any NJ background check. I've made neighbors quite nervous when a FED stops by their homes and inquires about me.

Hmm.. Didn't think LEO's were exempt from OGAM. There is a spot on the Exemptions Froms from OGAM for LEO's, so to me that means they have to follow the same nonsense that we do. Correct me if I'm wrong.

????

Only exempt on duty caliber weapons, Like my department says no larger then a 45acp no small then a 38. Our off duties apply under this law since we can qualify with them, while were at it, Magazine capacity on handguns is not limited to us if we qualify with the weapon, if its just in our safe and we dont use it it still falls under NJ normal Laws. I wish I could get a Exception for Rifles and Shotguns on the evil feature list. But with out a letter from the CLEO or the designee that it would be used for official department functions we are not exempt.

Maybe they are only exempt if purchasing for the job

The law states LEO is exempt from OGAM. The former NJSP Firearm Unit Lt. Schueter said that they are exempt if the firearms are a common caliber associated with law enforcement. :maninlove:

Here it is.

2C:58-3i Restriction on number of firearms person may purchase. Only one handgun shall be purchased or delivered on each permit and no more than one handgun shall be purchased within any 30-day period, but this limitation shall not apply to:

(1)a federal, State or local law enforcement officer or agency purchasing handguns for use by officers in the actual performance of their law enforcement duties;

(2)a collector of handguns as curios or relics as defined in Title 18, United States Code, section 921 (a) (13) who has in his possession a valid Collector of Curios and Relics License issued by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives;

(3)transfers of handguns among licensed retail dealers, registered wholesale dealers and registered manufacturers

(4)transfers of handguns from any person to a licensed retail dealer or a registered wholesale dealer or registered manufacturer.

(5)any transaction where the person has purchased a handgun from a licensed retail dealer and has returned that handgun to the dealer in exchange for another handgun within 30 days of the original transaction, provided the retail dealer reports the exchange transaction to the superintendent; or

(6)any transaction where the superintendent issues an exemption from the prohibition in this subsection pursuant to the provisions of section 4 of P.L.2009, c.186 (C.2C:58-3.4).

The provisions of this subsection shall not be construed to afford or authorize any other exemption from the regulatory provisions governing firearms set forth in chapter 39 and chapter 58 of Title 2C of the New Jersey Statutes;

A person shall not be restricted as to the number of rifles or shotguns he may purchase, provided he possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card and provided further that he signs the certification required in subsection b. of this section for each transaction

• Like 1

Here it is.

2C:58-3i Restriction on number of firearms person may purchase. Only one handgun shall be purchased or delivered on each permit and no more than one handgun shall be purchased within any 30-day period, but this limitation shall not apply to:

(1)a federal, State or local law enforcement officer or agency purchasing handguns for use by officers in the actual performance of their law enforcement duties;

(2)a collector of handguns as curios or relics as defined in Title 18, United States Code, section 921 (a) (13) who has in his possession a valid Collector of Curios and Relics License issued by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives;

(3)transfers of handguns among licensed retail dealers, registered wholesale dealers and registered manufacturers

(4)transfers of handguns from any person to a licensed retail dealer or a registered wholesale dealer or registered manufacturer.

(5)any transaction where the person has purchased a handgun from a licensed retail dealer and has returned that handgun to the dealer in exchange for another handgun within 30 days of the original transaction, provided the retail dealer reports the exchange transaction to the superintendent; or

(6)any transaction where the superintendent issues an exemption from the prohibition in this subsection pursuant to the provisions of section 4 of P.L.2009, c.186 (C.2C:58-3.4).

The provisions of this subsection shall not be construed to afford or authorize any other exemption from the regulatory provisions governing firearms set forth in chapter 39 and chapter 58 of Title 2C of the New Jersey Statutes;

A person shall not be restricted as to the number of rifles or shotguns he may purchase, provided he possesses a valid firearms purchaser identification card and provided further that he signs the certification required in subsection b. of this section for each transaction

Thank you I was just looking for that, So yeah lock this thread before it becomes one of those us vs. them post

I wish I could get a Exception for Rifles and Shotguns on the evil feature list. But with out a letter from the CLEO or the designee that it would be used for official department functions we are not exempt.

Actually per the law, police are exempt from the Assault Weapon law based on 39-6 exmpting them from all of 39-5. However, once again, the former NJAG has stated in writing that they do not believe that to be the case. IMO, if a LEO were to qualify with an "assault weapon" per the guidelines, they can personal own and carry them, like they do now with handguns.

Actually per the law, police are exempt from the Assault Weapon law based on 39-6 exmpting them from all of 39-5. However, once again, the former NJAG has stated in writing that they do not believe that to be the case. IMO, if a LEO were to qualify with an "assault weapon" per the guidelines, they can personal own and carry them, like they do now with handguns.

I have asked and got a big fat NO.

I have asked and got a big fat NO.

You have asked about qualifying or owning? Anyway, it doesn't matter in this state with the current Admin.

BTW, please remove your picture from your signature. It is against the rules. :keeporder:

Paul as you probably know, alot of depts arent gun depts at all. They barely know the rules when it comes to guns let alone what the exemptions may or may not be. Just as you are one of the most knowledgeable in the business there are 10 shops that arent.

• Like 1

Actually I Initially asked the question because I thought that LEO’s are subject to more stringent background checks (like myself) due to their profession than what is required to obtain a handgun permit. If that was the case then it seems like a waste of money and manpower to perform a lesser background check. The intent was not to start a us/them war.

Yes LEO's have to fill out all required paperwork and yes they are exempt from the one handgun every 30 days.

Why should they be exempt! If they have to follow the same procedure as we do to obtain permits I see no difference in us being able to purchase more than one a month!

Actually I Initially asked the question because I thought that LEO’s are subject to more stringent background checks (like myself) due to their profession than what is required to obtain a handgun permit. If that was the case then it seems like a waste of money and manpower to perform a lesser background check. The intent was not to start a us/them war.

Many people other then LEO's have background checks for their job. The fact is, it's a waste of money either way...NICS is good enough for the rest of the country.

How about this....not to hijack......was at motor vehicles a while back and neede to bring my 3 forms of ID for a drivers license renewal.........while I was in line, the LEO who was on duty there as an assignment tried to renew his also,,,,,,,they made him leave and come back with his 3 forms of ID or no new drivers license for him.....I laughed myself silly.

Many people other then LEO's have background checks for their job. The fact is, it's a waste of money either way...NICS is good enough for the rest of the country.

YUP. Non-Leo here and I had more background checks with the last job than many people will ever have. The VA requires one for each hospital you work in, the GSA requires one if you work in federal facilities under their direction, and the FBI requires one if you work in their space... Then there was a change and the GSA required a second background check to comply with HSPD-12.

No special treatment for anyone - that's the way it should be.

I agree with the OP, an active duty LEO needing to go through the whole process for a pistol permit is silly, just like it is silly for a civilian who has gone through the same process over and over again, especially being you have to get/pay again for another NICS check at the time of purchase even with the PP in hand.

Here it is.

I was wrong Paul, that is the info I had remembered seeing, it wasn't on the Exemption Form which I looked-at later. Gotta read first before I post!

Anyway, the above Exemption for LEO pertains to weapons used in the performance of their duties only? What if they want to pickup a few hand guns to use in competition but not their line fo work, would they run into the same issues we do?

Maybe we just drop the topic before it turns into another "Us Vs. Them" thread. If they want to buy a S&W 460 and a S&W 500 at the same time for their job, they have a GREAT department to work for! :)