CageFighter

Plate carriers....???

Well, other then the obvious reasons lol, but doesn't the added weight and movement restriction make you a better target?

These topics always remind me of Black Hawk Down.... " I don't plan on getting shot in the back running away". He done got shot in the back running away.....

Do they make kevlar inserts? or what i've always assume is it a kevlar vest with plate carrier?

both. some people wear a typical concealable kelvar vest, with a plate carrier over it. they make make different kelvar inserts, as well as other bullet proof material. kevlar, dynema, etc. i have the front and back panels from a concealable IIIA kevlar vest in my PC, along with a layer of flak jacket kevlar. when i feel like blowing 4-500 on plates, ill get some.

as far as moving with it on, ask anyone in the zed or who was at the zombie shoot at old bridge. i work my full kit all day, and it never slowed me down. all depends on what shape youre in.

as far as moving with it on, ask anyone in the zed or who was at the zombie shoot at old bridge. i work my full kit all day, and it never slowed me down. all depends on what shape youre in.

I didn't know zombies shot back...j/k lolz. I always wanted to try some of this stuff out. I'm pretty small so weight is always on my mind. Are ceramic plates lighter...stronger? I want to pick up a molle vest so i guess it being able to carry plates would be a plus, haven't looked much into plates themselves.

Black hawk makes optional side carriers.

You should first figure out what plates and or soft armor you are getting before the carrier.

Soft and Hard armor

Hard Armor Only (Stand alone plates)

or the ability to wear the soft armor (concealable?) overtop with a plate carrier.

Some plates don't fit all carriers and they are size of carrier is based off the plate size.

Plate size is determined by level of mobility (and weight) vs amount of coverage.

I didn't know zombies shot back...j/k lolz. I always wanted to try some of this stuff out. I'm pretty small so weight is always on my mind. Are ceramic plates lighter...stronger? I want to pick up a molle vest so i guess it being able to carry plates would be a plus, haven't looked much into plates themselves.

Black hawk makes optional side carriers.

where in north nj are you. youre welcome to check out my gear sometime. its also easier to see things in person and answer questions that way

I'm in Franklin Lakes, i always want to check out or even participate in these events, but they are usually pretty far. I want to get a good idea of my limitiations. I'll have to keep an eye out for the next event and make time for it. I need to start focusing on the gear aspect of shooting, and these are the kinda things that help you realize what you need and what is practical on a personal level.

I'm in Franklin Lakes, i always want to check out or even participate in these events, but they are usually pretty far. I want to get a good idea of my limitiations. I'll have to keep an eye out for the next event and make time for it. I need to start focusing on the gear aspect of shooting, and these are the kinda things that help you realize what you need and what is practical on a personal level.

im in Hawthorne, not too far! just down 208.

Are there any Army/Navy stores, tactical supply stores that sell plates and/or carriers locally? I'd prefer to not buy one online.

Wouldn't trust any of the local army/navy/"tacticool" stores...

I have the gi acu interceptor style vests in the store, that weren't damaged in the flood. they were issued with the soft 3A armor and designed to have the plates put in front of them. in their current form they have NO armor in them, they are just a carrier vest. if you are interested send me a pm with your chest size and i will let you know if we have one that will fit/how much it is.

to Krdshrk, not sure why you would recommend not going to a local store. while I am not really anywhere near you guys up north, there are quite a few reputable police dealers in our area to go to for armor.

My primary armor for SWAT duties is an MSA SOHPC with DBT level IIIa plate backers and side armor and MSA level 3 icw plates. I really like this setup as it is comfortable for long periods of time, light (compared to the ninja turtle vest I wear sometimes - MSA RBV), streamlined, I shoot better with it, I am much more maneuverable with this over a traditional entry type vest, and it holds all my crap. I spend a lot of time in this kit both working and training. I can not recommend it enough.

A PROTECH Plate Rack carrier that has RBR lvl 3/4 icw plates in it, no cummerbund. This rides in the radio car with me for gun calls, active shooter, warrant service stuff. It is designed to go on over the concealed armor I am already wearing while on patrol and still clear a duty belt allowing me to draw from a standard duty holster mounted at the belt line. It is good kit, quick to get on, very streamlined and well thought out, but not as comfortable at the SOHPC, and not setup to carry as much gear.

If I was going to buy a new PC for personal use, it would be the Shellback Tactical Banshee.

If I was going to buy a new PC for personal use, and money was not a limiting factor, I would look at the Crye, Tyr, and First Spear models.

If I was going to buy a new PC for work use it would be either a Mayflower R&C APC or London Bridge Trading 6094B, or another SOHPC.

Get your armor first, then get a carrier. You need to fit the armor to you, then the carrier to the armor, not the other way around. Also, not all hard armor stops all threats. Do your research.

Are there any Army/Navy stores, tactical supply stores that sell plates and/or carriers locally? I'd prefer to not buy one online.

http://www.s4military.com/

John I still haven't made it over there, but a friend of mine recommended that place. They're in Hackensack.

You want a nice PC? Go over to beezcombatsystem.com. All of their products are top notch and their customer service outdoes a lot of retailers. We did a few group buys on other forums and Beez did a great job with them..tailored everything to our specifications and then gave us discounts.

I've bought quite a few things from them and I'm very happy with their products.

LOL I am getting these visions of the Tacti-tards that were at the range last time I was home. It was the most comical thing you could ever see in your life. They looked like call of duty rejects, full plate carriers, glock velcroed on. At the range and could not hit shiat when they were shooting. They thought they were bad asses but I guess some army navy store just sold a couple of noobs anything that looked "tactical"