Sign in to follow this  
TheWombat

GFH Low Light, No Light Level 1 Course Review

I spent the afternoon at the Essex Police Academy indoor range attending a Gun For Hire course. This time it was the Low Light, No Light Level 1. From chatting to other forum members the course has previously been held at Bayonne Pistol Range so I was pleased to see it now being offered at the Essex Police Academy location.

The course is the first out of 3 levels for Low Light, No Light. The description is:

"The Low-Light Pistol Class will serve as an introduction to operating in a no-light or low light situation. The student will be introduced to various shooting positions using both a hand held flash light and weapon mounted light. The student will progress from dry fire exercises to live fire training in a low-light and no light shooting situation. Topics covered to include,

• Proper Selection of hand held and weapon mounted light system.
  • Use of Night Sights
  • Operating in Low Light Vision Conditions
  • One handed shooting techniques
  • Multiple shooting positions using the flashlight.
  • Multiple targets,Shooting on the move while using the flash light
  • Weapon Manipulation in Low Light Conditions (reloads,malfunctions)
  • Proper Techniques of Building Search while using the flash light"

There were ~10-11 students and 3 instructors (Joe, Mac and Pilar). The session started with a PowerPoint presentation covering the different aspects, some practice with training firearms and then we moved to the range.

For the day I had the Walther PPQ equiped with a Viridian C5L light/laser, a Kaluban Cloak holster and Comp-Tac magazine and flashlight holder for the additional SureFire G2 I had with me. Among the other students there was a mix of firearms (including a Colt 1911, Beretta, Springfield XD, H&K P30, Glocks and others), lights and holsters. There were a few equipment malfunctions due to magazines, holsters and technique. I see that as a positive since it is better to find out the issues on a training course rather than when you are in a real altercation.

For my ammunition I used 50 Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P and 175 Sellier & Bellot 124gr. It was the first time I have shot in proper low light situations and then in total darkness. During the course we tried various different techniques for holding a flashlight, as well as using our weapon mounted lights (for those that had them).

Overall the course was good and I learnt a few useful takeaways to consider in using a firearm for personal defense:

• It is important to have a good flashlight - The SureFire G2 seemed to work well
  • There are times when having a weapon mounted light and a separate flashlight is beneficial
  • Using the flashlight takes practice as the various techniques all have pros/cons
  • Shooting one handed takes practice in order not limp wrist
  • Holstering and reloading in low light/darkness takes practice

The Viridian C5L worked well, as did the rest of my gear, and having the green laser as an aid on some of the exercises was beneficial. My Trijicons (green front/orange rear) were also easy to see and use.

I met a forum member on the course (hello!) and also one of student who was on the prior Urban Pistol course I attended.

An enjoyable afternoon!

TheWombat

Officially 2pm to 6pm, however I Ieft the range at closer to 6:45pm.

225 rounds in total, although depending on class size you may find this varies +/- a little.

A good mix of students from young to old, guys and gals, veteran shooters and fairly new shooters.

TheWombat

It was a great course for sure ! It was a pleasure meeting The Wombat :)

My Colt 45 1911 had some magazine issues for sure. VERY glad to learn that during training. Seems the after market 10 round magazines I bought had a dud in there , though I swear it happened with more than one of them. Upon inserting them and racking , a bullet often would not chamber at all . The 2 Colt 7 round mags that came with the gun were fine. As far as the aftermarket 10 rounders , they did not feel like they loaded right at all. Past 4 or 5 rounds it required a lot of pressure to load them. Put it to you this way , the skin is off my right thumb pad , and both thumbs feel like they were slammed in a car door.

Just illustrates how important training , and training some more with your firearms is very important . IMO .

The instructors were great . Knowledgable , patient , helpful , and extremely likeable . I highly recommend them.

Officially 2pm to 6pm, however I Ieft the range at closer to 6:45pm.

225 rounds in total, although depending on class size you may find this varies +/- a little.

A good mix of students from young to old, guys and gals, veteran shooters and fairly new shooters.

TheWombat

Hmm interesting. I was gonna say ~200 rounds is a low round count for a class like this, but in 4 hours I guess that's not too bad.

I think Joe enjoys finding the various issues that the 1911s have, MrsWombat had similar issues on the Urban Pistol a few weeks back with her 9mm Kimber 1911. Then again he is a Glock fan!

I've been using Trip Research magazines on my .45 1911 without any issues, although I've yet to try it on a GunForHire course, maybe next time!

:-)

TheWombat

Hmm interesting. I was gonna say ~200 rounds is a low round count for a class like this, but in 4 hours I guess that's not too bad.

Probably the first hour was theory (I didn't time it exactly) and as it is level 1 and new for most of us it was paced pretty well, it never felt slow or rushed. If the Low Light classes are similar to how the Urban Pistol classes go then the level 2 and 3 would be more rounds and no theory.

The time flew by for me, and was surprised how when I saw it was past 6pm.

TheWombat

I think Joe enjoys finding the various issues that the 1911s have, MrsWombat had similar issues on the Urban Pistol a few weeks back with her 9mm Kimber 1911. Then again he is a Glock fan!

I've been using Trip Research magazines on my .45 1911 without any issues, although I've yet to try it on a GunForHire course, maybe next time!

:-)

TheWombat

Max rounds I had put through i tbefore was just over 100..that was with the Colt 7 rounder factory mags . This is the first time I went allout with the after markets. I picked them based on the nice looking bottom. I may pick up a better brand 10 rounder that just hangs out there , and not worry about looks :)

As for FTEs..I had one or two , independant of the dud mag issue. This send me back to the drawing board for my next shopping trip . I want a revolver..but may get it with my 3rd P2P rather than 2nd as I want to do some more training .

Time did fly by. It was money very well spent , lots of individual attention .

Will be looking to shop that light/laser combo you have too. Looked nice :)

Max rounds I had put through i tbefore was just over 100..that was with the Colt 7 rounder factory mags . This is the first time I went allout with the after markets. I picked them based on the nice looking bottom. I may pick up a better brand 10 rounder that just hangs out there , and not worry about looks :)

As for FTEs..I had one or two , independant of the dud mag issue. This send me back to the drawing board for my next shopping trip . I want a revolver..but may get it with my 3rd P2P rather than 2nd as I want to do some more training .

Time did fly by. It was money very well spent , lots of individual attention .

Will be looking to shop that light/laser combo you have too. Looked nice :)

Also look at the Viridian X5L gen 2, this is brighter than the C5L I have. I went for the C5L as the PPQ is fairly small and I didn't want the light protruding past the end of the muzzle.

Maybe something like a Beretta or Baby Eagle might be an idea for the 2nd PP as they both have safeties which would help with the muscle memory for the 1911?

TheWombat

Also look at the Viridian X5L gen 2, this is brighter than the C5L I have. I went for the C5L as the PPQ is fairly small and I didn't want the light protruding past the end of the muzzle.

Maybe something like a Beretta or Baby Eagle might be an idea for the 2nd PP as they both have safeties which would help with the muscle memory for the 1911?

TheWombat

I think I hated that safety though lol For small hands , it thumbs "off" with very little effort , but it was very difficult to thumb it back on one handed ( up for on) . I have to engage safety on with left hand , always. I really would rather no safety...I think I have pretty good trigger control , trigger is never touched until I am ready to fire. I credit that to years and years of training in gun disarms ( Krav Maga) where when you are attacker in drills , finger in trigger guard on red gun during the disarm means an x ray , splint , and 6 to 8 weeks off :)

I think I hated that safety though lol For small hands , it thumbs "off" with very little effort , but it was very difficult to thumb it back on one handed ( up for on) . I have to engage safety on with left hand , always. I really would rather no safety...I think I have pretty good trigger control , trigger is never touched until I am ready to fire. I credit that to years and years of training in gun disarms ( Krav Maga) where when you are attacker in drills , finger in trigger guard on red gun during the disarm means an x ray , splint , and 6 to 8 weeks off :)

Sounds like a Walther PPQ would be a good option then *grin*

:gaming:

TheWombat

Does that come in a .45 ?? lol

I have so much .45 ammo now ..I made irishpete buy me a ton of .45 ammo because I was going to practice with my gun at the range every week so in the interest of pleasant dinner conversation for the next 20 weeks or so the gun I practice with best be a .45acp.

I think I want a CZ in a .45 ... I coveted his CZ 76 .40 cal from the first time I shot it. The ergonomics are perfect for a small handed shooter like myself. Then again , a Glock 30 also advertises itself as ideal for small hands. This :

http://www.glock30sf.com/

You guys would probably love to run a Police Night Fire course. Same principas, timed, hand held lights and no lights. Fun except if you are the recruit or trainee trying to qulify to keep his or her job.

Sound like you have done this from the recuit/trainee perspective :)

You guys would probably love to run a Police Night Fire course. Same principas, timed, hand held lights and no lights. Fun except if you are the recruit or trainee trying to qulify to keep his or her job.

I'd do anything to attend something like that!