DevsAdvocate

Where are the US Made magazine fed shotguns?

Looking at a Saiga-12 recently left me wondering: where are the US Made/Designed magazine fed shotguns? I understand shotties like the AA-12 (Destructive Device) exist, but what about civilian semi-autos with a magazine?

I mean, it seems like using the magazine tube as you see it on Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s, you keep the weight in front of the action and help negate recoil effects, but it's also harder to reload and takes longer to manipulate.

So why hasn't the US designed/marketed a mag-fed 12ga semi-auto shotty? Why waste time with Kel-Tec KSGs when you can use a drum mag?

Looking at a Saiga-12 recently left me wondering: where are the US Made/Designed magazine fed shotguns? I understand shotties like the AA-12 (Destructive Device) exist, but what about civilian semi-autos with a magazine?

I mean, it seems like using the magazine tube as you see it on Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s, you keep the weight in front of the action and help negate recoil effects, but it's also harder to reload and takes longer to manipulate.

So why hasn't the US designed/marketed a mag-fed 12ga semi-auto shotty? Why waste time with Kel-Tec KSGs when you can use a drum mag?

I am with you. I would buy one. Even if it was a bit pricier than its Russian cousins.

It's weird... I can see the 'sportsmen' crowd crowing on about how a mag fed semi-auto wouldn't work... but I tend to feel that's a silly argument. Especially seeing as it can be a bit safer in a hunting environment, where you can keep the shotgun unloaded until you reach your tree-stand/blind and just pop in a box magazine.

The trick here is getting around the Destructive Device classification... but that shouldn't be too difficult... especially if the shotty is simply a semi-auto, or even a pump...

It's weird... I can see the 'sportsmen' crowd crowing on about how a mag fed semi-auto wouldn't work... but I tend to feel that's a silly argument. Especially seeing as it can be a bit safer in a hunting environment, where you can keep the shotgun unloaded until you reach your tree-stand/blind and just pop in a box magazine.

The trick here is getting around the Destructive Device classification... but that shouldn't be too difficult... especially if the shotty is simply a semi-auto, or even a pump...

When Federal hunting restrictions were implemented in 1935 to curtail market hunting of waterfowl, a limit was imposed on all auto-loading and pump-action shotguns to 3 shells. Those shotguns that carried more than 3 shells were then supplied when sold with a magazine plug. It has never been an issue with sportsmen. State laws mimic the Federal law for shotguns and shell capacity for hunting is still limited to 3 rounds. Only in the last few years has the shell capacity been more than 3 shells for game like snow geese, including liberal bag limits on the state and Federal level here in the United States.

Those box magazines exist for cheap bolt-action shotguns made years ago, but their magazine capacity has never been more than 2 shells thanks to hunting regulations. Modern bolt-action shotguns (I.E. Savage, Browning, Mossberg, Marlin, Tar-Hunt) specifically engineered to shoot sabot slugs have a magazine capacity (fixed or detachable) of only two (2) rounds.

Is there any typing above? I can not read it as it is too small.

Figured out why this happens. Sometimes when you go to the "Reply to this Thread" box at the end of the thread, you drag your cursor over one of the optional text features, before it actually becomes visible. The super small text is the subscript or superscript function. When you go into edit mode you will see one of those choices highlighted. Highlight all your text and then click on the highlighted feature (sub or super) to turn it off and restore your text to normal size.

Not bad for a computer illiterate, huh?

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Because shotguns are ugly, outdated, when popular with defensive use people they that shotgun slide noise to scare people (or so they say) andthey don't trusts semi-auto's besides, when popular with hunters they want the things specific to what they hunt, when popular with clay shooters it is about fit and comfort. The US public as a whole couldn't give a rats buttock about semi auto magazine fed shotguns.

You don't believe me? Look at the numbers: In 2010 the US manufactured 2.8mil handguns, 1.8mil rifles and only 0.7mil shotguns. The story is similar on the import side, we brought in 1.7mil handguns, 0.5mil rifiles and 0.5mil shotguns. The damn things are just not that popular, they are the bottom of the pile. If you were a manufacturer you too would focus on the handgun and rifle market, never mind the non existent market for magazine fed ones.

And then there are the function and ergonomics. USPSA shooters have every reason to try to make the removal magazine fed shotgun work. There are a bunch of people making competition guns out of saiga's and the conclusion is that you start with about THREE guns to get one that works reliably under heavy use and it takes about $2000 to make that happen after the cost of the guns. That money goes into ergonomic and functional improvements, because shooting light loads, buckshot and slugs in all weather conditions is not an easy trick.

So yeah ... good luck with that.

Because shotguns are ugly, outdated, when popular with defensive use people they that shotgun slide noise to scare people (or so they say) andthey don't trusts semi-auto's besides, when popular with hunters they want the things specific to what they hunt, when popular with clay shooters it is about fit and comfort. The US public as a whole couldn't give a rats buttock about semi auto magazine fed shotguns.

You don't believe me? Look at the numbers: In 2010 the US manufactured 2.8mil handguns, 1.8mil rifles and only 0.7mil shotguns. The story is similar on the import side, we brought in 1.7mil handguns, 0.5mil rifiles and 0.5mil shotguns. The damn things are just not that popular, they are the bottom of the pile. If you were a manufacturer you too would focus on the handgun and rifle market, never mind the non existent market for magazine fed ones.

And then there are the function and ergonomics. USPSA shooters have every reason to try to make the removal magazine fed shotgun work. There are a bunch of people making competition guns out of saiga's and the conclusion is that you start with about THREE guns to get one that works reliably under heavy use and it takes about $2000 to make that happen after the cost of the guns. That money goes into ergonomic and functional improvements, because shooting light loads, buckshot and slugs in all weather conditions is not an easy trick.

So, what do you use for HD?

True... plus the cost of 12ga ammo... ugh.