What is the law on shooting on private land? I have read on other forums how people go to certain ranges and also to a friends piece of land. Does the land owner need special permits to do this or a certain size lot? Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

As said check the twp ordinances for a no-discharge ordinance. So long as you don't have that you're good to go. Just realize that you are responsible for every round you fire, and build your home range accordingly.

If you transport your firearms to a non exempted destination, it's illegal transportation. If your buddy hands you his handgun on his property, it's an illegal transfer.

YMMV

Out here in the Western part of the state our largest obstacles are the noise ordinances, don't really want to go pissing off our neighbors if you're fairly close. I'm extremely lucking as we all have large lots, are all hunters and take into consideration our neighbors with regard to when would be a good time to shoot and not such a good time to shoot. (ie, Sundays are usually a no no) Also, I would think you wouldn't want to "light 'um up" and act like GI Joe as certainly that will draw the wrong kind of attention.

My local noise ordinance calls for quite after 11 PM and I never fire a weapon after dark unless hunting coyote and then it's just one shot and my neighbors are aware I'm out there.

Thanks for the responses.

I was just wondering if it is legal and also my wifes uncle keeps telling me he goes to southwest jersey to shoot at his buddies property with him and i should go the next time he goes. So i was just wondering if it was legal or if i was going to get arrested. lol

If you have a firearms Purchaser ID, you can take long guns and target shoot on the property, legally. The same does not apply to handguns. There are some exceptions for members of rifle and pistol clubs practicing but they're pretty narrow exceptions.

If there is any chance a neighbor would object and call the cops, I wouldn't go. If it's off in BFE and there's little to no chance anyone will see or care, then go.

Also knocking on a door and saying "Hey, I will be shooting clay targets on my property legally in a direction away from your house, just thought I should let you know" goes a long way.