mipafox

NJ Flags will be at Half Staff

This disturbs me greatly. It marginalizes the solemnity of those occasions when it's appropriate to honor a loss by flying the flag at half staff.

• Like 5

Wow, its almost as bad as obama getting the nobel peace prize. Ruins it. Isnt it only supposed to go half mast for heros?

Yet most Town halls around me don't lower them for fallen soldiers. Everytime a soldier from the NJ, PA, or DE area died, our NJROTC unit would go in early the next morning, and we'd lower Sterling's flag to half stalf.

I can see doing it in Newark or East Orange, but come on.

Really????

Why? It isn't the Newark flag, or even the New Jersey flag, it's the symbol of the entire country, and every time it's lowered to honor a national loss, the entire country grieves. But not this time, and it will always mean less from now on.

Really????

Why? It isn't the Newark flag, or even the New Jersey flag, it's the symbol of the entire country, and every time it's lowered to honor a national loss, the entire country grieves. But not this time, and it will always mean less from now on.

They named a public school after the women. And she did sing the national anthem better than anyone ever did.

They named a public school after the women. And she did sing the national anthem better than anyone ever did.

Well I guess that's reason enough. Pretty much like everyone getting a trophy.

• Like 1

It's nice to know that there are some like-minded people here. I agree that this totally cheapens the purpose of flying our national flag at half mast.

But if I said this to most of the people I work with, or even most of the members of my family, they would think I am turning into a grumpy old man (which maybe I am).