this_is_nascar

Looking for a New Range to Replace Hague's

My annual membership at Hague's Indoor Range will be expiring in the not so distant future and I'd really rather not renew. Their prices are ridiculous as it relates to range fees, as well as what they charge for firearms. They taught this big "membership advantage" that members get 10% off of firearms purchases. All that 10% gets you is to bring prices down to only being outrageously higher than everywhere else, instead of being not even being considered as purchasable from them. I'm also finding that if your opinion is not in-line with the guys working the counter, you get treated differently. Not really the atmosphere I want to continue with, let alone pay $400 per year to experience. The only reason I choose Hague's was that it was close to me and not a hassle to get to.

I've been considering Bob's Little Sport Shop, however they do not allow rifles or shotguns. I really don't want to be driving an hour to get to a range, so that eliminates places like Range-14, etc. I think I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place. I could probably deal with all the crap at Hague's, but it's that $400 membership fee that I'm struggling with. I recall someone mentioning a place in Delran, I believe, but I couldn't find the details. Any other suggestions?

Have never been there or shot but here is the info...

http://www.delranjuniormarksman.com/

Good Luck.

Thanks. Well, cross this one off my list. Although it's certainly within their rights to do so, I don't like being told that I must be a member of another organization, in this case the NRA, to join theirs. I do appreciate the link though.

Thanks. Well, cross this one off my list. Although it's certainly within their rights to do so, I don't like being told that I must be a member of another organization, in this case the NRA, to join theirs. I do appreciate the link though.

I know it's personal preference and understand not wanting to be forced to join a group you may not want to. However while you may not see direct results here in the PR of NJ on what the NRA does, I do believe we would be in a lot worse position then we are if it were not for them working the national scene. For that, I will always be a member of the NRA.

Come to the land of the free, brother.

There are two good places to shoot in Philadelphia:

Philadelphia Archery and Gun and Firing Line.

PAAG is in the middle of South Philly, but the place is beautiful - its like shooting in your own house. The lanes are carpeted. They have oil paintings on the walls. Bring Your Own Ammo membership is $300. It's a nice place, but you have to park on the street.

I shoot at Firing Line on Front St. So does Quel Hoth.

Firing Line is dark, poorly lit, the place is full of gangbangers renting guns and South Philly boys who have plenty of opinions. You could physically smoke in the store up until about 3 months ago. Any woman you bring there would be physically appalled.

But It's got character and it only costs $100 a year to shoot there. The guys there know me and greet me when I walk in the door - like "Cheers." The only disadvantage is that you have to buy their ammo. But I only shoot .22 there which is $4.00 a box. I've occasionally used 9mm that I brought in my range bag by accident and they never noticed. I'm sure if you bought a box, and shot some of your own, nobody would say anything as long as you are buying something from them.

The disadvantage of shooing in Philly is that you are paying $5.00 for the bridge. The advantage? I can get there in 30 minutes. You don't get a Hague's attitude. And you get to see and shoot all of the guns you can only dream about in New Jersey.

I know it's personal preference and understand not wanting to be forced to join a group you may not want to. However while you may not see direct results here in the PR of NJ on what the NRA does, I do believe we would be in a lot worse position then we are if it were not for them working the national scene. For that, I will always be a member of the NRA.

Thanks Harry. I appreciate your feedback and am glad you're seeing positive results. My opinions on the subject are somewhat different, however I'd rather not get into that debate here. I hope you understand.

Thanks Harry. I appreciate your feedback and am glad you're seeing positive results. My opinions on the subject are somewhat different, however I'd rather not get into that debate here. I hope you understand.

Oh no problem Ray, like I said it's your choice and no issues with that, I just like to point out to people that while you don't see things changing in the PR of NJ as a direct result of the NRA's actions, I do believe they have headed off enough things on the national level that could have impacted us and to me personally it's worth being a member.

I also support the local NJ organizations that are trying to make this better for all of us. I do what I can and hope for the best but people can only do what they feel is good for them and not going to fault anyone for not believing in some of the groups. Especially with how things are in NJ and if you have seen how they have been since 66, I do understand the feeling of no hope that some people have. After all you can only get kicked to the curb so may times, I guess I still have some hope.

To me, that's like not being allowed to purchase a new vehicle, unless you're a member of AAA. Like I said, their right to do so, my right to walk away.

OK, I'll bite. What's wrong with joining the NRA? And what gun rights organizations do you belong to instead of the NRA?

• Like 1

Most Private Clubs were started with low-cost loans or outright grants from the NRA. In exchange for this consideration, most Private Clubs wrote it into their Bylaws that to join the Club you must be a NRA Member. That's just the way it is! It's like that at the two Clubs I belong to and several more that I know of.

My advice is to just "get over it" and enjoy the priviledges of membership at a Private Club. Become your own R-O! Then you won't need training wheels to shoot a rifle past 25 yards in an echo chamber. And maybe you can break some clays in mid-air? Blowing-away Bad Guys (paper targets that don't move) with a 12 ga. gets old after a while. At both of the Clubs that I belong to several activities are scheduled monthly throughout the calendar month. Great chance to make new friends and learn new skills. And for around a dollar a day I get to use both indoor & outdoor ranges for less than what you're paying now for just a 25 yard range! Time to expand your horizons......

Good luck with the search and here's hoping you'll find something you'll be happy with.

Like I said, I'm not going to use this thread to debate the merits of the NRA or any other organization. On a related note, I had forgotten that the purchase of my new Taurus 94 a couple months ago entitled me to a free year's subscription to the NRA. I had forgotten that I had done that. I was able to find a statement in my junkmail pile that shows that I'm a member with my valid member number, however I never received an actual "membership card". I'm assuming because it was a no-cost membership, that I'm not getting what the average paying Joe would get when joining.

So, at least NRA membership (or lack thereof) will not be a determining factor for joining one of these other clubs in 2012. Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone.

Like I said, I'm not going to use this thread to debate the merits of the NRA or any other organization. On a related note, I had forgotten that the purchase of my new Taurus 94 a couple months ago entitled me to a free year's subscription to the NRA. I had forgotten that I had done that. I was able to find a statement in my junkmail pile that shows that I'm a member with my valid member number, however I never received an actual "membership card". I'm assuming because it was a no-cost membership, that I'm not getting what the average paying Joe would get when joining.

So, at least NRA membership (or lack thereof) will not be a determining factor for joining one of these other clubs in 2012. Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone.

If you get one of the NRA monthly magazines such as American Rifleman, your membership number is printed on the address label. You can just bring that to the gun Club and they will know what part of the label is your number. And that's also proof of membership--in case the membership card wound-up in the recycling pile! I'm not familiar with the extent of the member benefits through the Taurus promotion. You could phone the NRA member hotline toll-free to ask for your card and to be sure they received your registration.

Dave

I don't see shotguns at SJSC. You aren't too far from Vineland are you? Could always do Sporting Clays at Cedar Creek...............

I know what you mean about being "forced" to join an organization. I Drag Race. If I chose to go quicker than 9.99 or faster than 135mph I MUST join the NHRA. Since I like to go fast I am a member.

Ray, I tend to agree with you, but I look at it just like PK90 stated... if you see it as a come with for $35 more. Then it works. Glad to hear the Taurus deal might work out for you.

I would recomend Square Circle also... but right now I am having a hard time recomending them due to some rules and regs issues.

As mcbethr said, Firing Line in Philly is nice, so long as you're looking for a place to shoot, not luxury.

It's lit well enough you can see your sights and your target, but that's about it. Their rates for membership, lanes, and rentals are reasonable (100/yr membership, members shoot free, $10 for guest, non members $15; $10 rental for members, $15 for non member). Ammo is high though, $3.50 for a box of .22, $19.85 for a box of 9mm. Eyes, ears, and targets are free.

The range is dirty, many of the people there are animals and don't police their brass. It can get cold on the range, so wear and coat and bring a hat. Oh, and the floor and ceiling of the booths, as well as the range itself, are covered in holes...

I'll keep shooting .22 there, but once I buy a 9mm I'll need to look for a new range. When you can buy 9mm for $10 a box, I'm not paying $20 a box for it.

I'm there pretty much every Tuesday night at around 7:30-8 if you want to tag along.

My annual membership at Hague's Indoor Range will be expiring in the not so distant future and I'd really rather not renew.... The only reason I choose Hague's was that it was close to me and not a hassle to get to.

I know how you feel. My wife and I are in the same boat, our Hagues membership will be up soon and the renewal fee of $400 has me scratching my head. We also live very close to the range so the convenience factor is hard to overcome. Also, there is nothing to do at Hagues... no clubs or activities etc. I've been to the SJSC for a CCW class and I liked what I saw there, but it is a good 40 minute drive from where I live (it's like driving from Hagues to the SJSC). In spite of the travel time I still thought about going there because I like the idea of shooting outdoors; it's not so loud for the ears and it would be under natural lighting. Also it seems more like freedom. When I shoot indoors it feels like I'm doing something secretive. On the other hand, since there is no indoor range at all... shooting on cold winter days would be something I'm not sure I'd like to do. ouch.

Thought about TargetMaster in PA, but after considering the Toll costs... we dropped that idea.

So, we are caught between a rock and a hard place. (Still torn.) If Hague's would give a 10% discount on renewals, it would help. Currently we are leaning towards reluctantly renewing our membership but increasing our trips to the range which would mean shooting more .22 ammo as opposed to the big guns. :) We Figure the more trips we make then the more cost effective the membership becomes, especially if the price of gas keeps going up. I've heard it might reach $4 a gallon by summer.

Good luck with your decision, I know it isn't easy.

As mcbethr said, Firing Line in Philly is nice, so long as you're looking for a place to shoot, not luxury.

It's lit well enough you can see your sights and your target, but that's about it. Their rates for membership, lanes, and rentals are reasonable (100/yr membership, members shoot free, $10 for guest, non members $15; $10 rental for members, $15 for non member). Ammo is high though, $3.50 for a box of .22, $19.85 for a box of 9mm. Eyes, ears, and targets are free.

The range is dirty, many of the people there are animals and don't police their brass. It can get cold on the range, so wear and coat and bring a hat. Oh, and the floor and ceiling of the booths, as well as the range itself, are covered in holes...

I'll keep shooting .22 there, but once I buy a 9mm I'll need to look for a new range. When you can buy 9mm for $10 a box, I'm not paying $20 a box for it.

I'm there pretty much every Tuesday night at around 7:30-8 if you want to tag along.

Thanks, but I'll probably pass. With all due respect to those who are members, looks aren't all that important to me, however inconsiderate people like that, I don't need to be around. In addition, I don't desire to be in a sh*thole, which is how it sounds by the way you're describing it. Please, don't take offense. That's not my intent. I do really appreciate the feedback and suggestions though.

I know how you feel. My wife and I are in the same boat, our Hagues membership will be up soon and the renewal fee of $400 has me scratching my head. We also live very close to the range so the convenience factor is hard to overcome. Also, there is nothing to do at Hagues... no clubs or activities etc. I've been to the SJSC for a CCW class and I liked what I saw there, but it is a good 40 minute drive from where I live (it's like driving from Hagues to the SJSC). In spite of the travel time I still thought about going there because I like the idea of shooting outdoors; it's not so loud for the ears and it would be under natural lighting. Also it seems more like freedom. When I shoot indoors it feels like I'm doing something secretive. On the other hand, since there is no indoor range at all... shooting on cold winter days would be something I'm not sure I'd like to do. ouch.

Thought about TargetMaster in PA, but after considering the Toll costs... we dropped that idea.

So, we are caught between a rock and a hard place. (Still torn.) If Hague's would give a 10% discount on renewals, it would help. Currently we are leaning towards reluctantly renewing our membership but increasing our trips to the range which would mean shooting more .22 ammo as opposed to the big guns. :) We Figure the more trips we make then the more cost effective the membership becomes, especially if the price of gas keeps going up. I've heard it might reach $4 a gallon by summer.

Good luck with your decision, I know it isn't easy.

I hear ya. This would be my 1st membership renewal, so I don't know if they offer a discount or not. That's a good idea if they did and I hadn't even thought of that. I used to get there at least 3-5 times per week. Over the last few months, it's been less and when I ever get back to work, it will be even less. I'm almost wondering if it's worth it to me just to pay the hourly rate as I want to go. The problem there is that you can't use your own ammo, guest cost extra, etc. I don't know what the hell to do. I agree about the sounds of being able to shoot outside. It always feels like your in someone's basement at Hague's. No outside air, no fresh light, etc. Keep me in mind as you're researching other places and I'll do the same.

Keep me in mind as you're researching other places and I'll do the same.

Will do.

My wife and I share the same membership and most of the time she ends up asking me when are we going to to the range because SHE wants to shoot. (How sweet is that!).

But just to clarify,

At Hague's you are "Allowed to bring outside ammunition" you can't use any reloads, but you can use your own ammo in your own gun. You don't have to buy their ammo unless you are using one of their rentals.

And "Full members can bring One Guest at No Charge" Full members are those who have a one year membership as opposed to a 6 month membership. So, you can bring a friend at no charge and they can shoot their own gun or one of yours using your/their own ammo and it shouldn't cost you a thing.

(Everything in quotes is taken directly from Hague's website membership info page.)