What the heck was that?

I used to bring a copy of the permit with me to the range, but after buying 10 different handguns I stopped.

You can certainly go to your local PD, or NJSP Barracks, wheverever your paperwork was done, and get a copy made. If you bought from an FFL you can also ask for a copy there. Face to face, the person should still have a copy he can duplicate for you.

You are not required by law to carry the pistol purchase permit with you. You BETTER have an FID card though unless you want a really bad time.

If your transporting per the exemption, you don't even need your FID..

I know, but do you realize how many of my fellow LEO's don't know that......................

That is why I carry it, have worn it out, though it is laminated, and can't get a duplicate without paying $18 for another one, so it stays ratty-looking but still in one piece.

I never keep any paper work with any of my guns, just saying, all my paperwork sits in a lock box and thats it.

Yep, same here. All paperwork locked in the safe at home. My FID stays in my wallet because I choose to do that, not because I have to.

I know, but do you realize how many of my fellow LEO's don't know that......................

That is why I carry it, have worn it out, though it is laminated, and can't get a duplicate without paying $18 for another one, so it stays ratty-looking but still in one piece.

You say that so casually as if we are somehow obligated to carry our FID's because LEO's dont know that you don't have to carry it.

I find that totally ridiculous and flat out wrong.

You say that so casually as if we are somehow obligated to carry our FID's because LEO's dont know that you don't have to carry it.

I do carry mine but I also carry a bunch of COE's pre filled out with my info, you just never know when you might happen upon a long gun deal.. :icon_mrgreen:

• Like 1

I think what he's saying if you don't want to have a bigger hassle than necessary, to just carry it.

I have copies of mine just so they don't give me crap. If you don't want to carry them, you are well within your rights. But I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you more of a hard time.

You say that so casually as if we are somehow obligated to carry our FID's because LEO's don't know that you don't have to carry it.

Why is the citizen obligated to know the law..."ignorance is no excuse" when law enforcement doesn't? If someone in uniform doesn't know the law and unjustly abuses his or her power and infringes on the rights of a citizen , then that officer should be prosecuted.

I was outraged today. My minivan broke down and I went home and got one of my other cars and came back to it to get my kids car seats out of it and while I was there, a local officer pulled up and I explained to him what happened. He said he would call it in and I told him I would have it towed within a couple of hours (after calling my insurance and my roadside assistance). He said OK and pulled away. He went about 300 or 400 feet and then came back toward me backwards as fast as he could in his cruiser. He was moving fast with no lights on, etc.. He stopped right by me and then just drove off again without any explanation. All I kept thinking about was what a complete AH.

Next time you apply for a permit, check the needing duplicate box. I don't think it will cost you anything to get another one made.

I do carry mine but I also carry a bunch of COE's pre filled out with my info, you just never know when you might happen upon a long gun deal.. :icon_mrgreen:

I keep some blank copies in my truck & car. Like you said, you never know.

I think what he's saying if you don't want to have a bigger hassle than necessary, to just carry it.

I have copies of mine just so they don't give me crap. If you don't want to carry them, you are well within your rights. But I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you more of a hard time.

I Understand exactly what he is saying, and its wrong. There is no reason why I should have a "bigger hassle" for not carrying it; thats just wrong. No two ways about it.

I somewhat understand what you are saying. Apparently I'm well within my rights, but your ok with the fact that I would likely get a hard time for something that is well within my rights.

I'm not saying you won't get a hard time. I'm simply saying it's wrong and it's wrong to condone it or brush it off.

Im just saying how it is. Its your problem to deal with. I couldn't care less how long it takes you to convince someone your firearms are legal. There are many ways to enact a change of culture in our state, and until it does, my time is worth more to me than winning a pissing contest with some rookie gumshoe.

Im just saying how it is. Its your problem to deal with. I couldn't care less how long it takes you to convince someone your firearms are legal. There are many ways to enact a change of culture in our state, and until it does, my time is worth more to me than winning a pissing contest with some rookie gumshoe.

Im not saying dont carry your FID or I don't carry my FID.

I DO carry my FID and I think it does have a certain retard prevetion value.

It's just weird to me that you seem, from the way you've spoken, to accept it like it's ok. Don't you feel like it's bs that a cop can give you a hard time for not having something that there is no requirement to have, and the explanation can be well many police don't know that you don't need it?

• Like 1

Carry your FID or don't I don't care. From what I have seen most PD's don't properly train the LEO's on the gun laws. I'd rather have the FID with me than not. You wanna get hassled and possibly be in court over something stupid, fine, I have better things to do.

Why is this forum turning into such a pissing-contest in so many threads..........................

• Like 1

Why is this forum turning into such a pissing-contest in so many threads..........................

I think people are just getting Pissed because they are expected to conform to the whims of LE that have no basis in law.

This state is bad enough with it's draconian laws then sucomming to the whims of the ignorant make it worst.

That's my take, From my experience even the A$$holes on the forum are decent individuals one on one.

Carry your FID or don't I don't care. From what I have seen most PD's don't properly train the LEO's on the gun laws. I'd rather have the FID with me than not. You wanna get hassled and possibly be in court over something stupid, fine, I have better things to do.

Im not saying dont carry your FID or I don't carry my FID.

I DO carry my FID and I think it does have a certain retard prevetion value.

It's just weird to me that you seem, from the way you've spoken, to accept it like it's ok. Don't you feel like it's bs that a cop can give you a hard time for not having something that there is no requirement to have, and the explanation can be well many police don't know that you don't need it?

That is what I'm trying to say.

It has nothing to do with me being "ok" with it. What I do accept is reality, in which I can flash a peice of paper to them and tell them to piss off. I don't have the time nor the money to go fight the good fight in court or what have you. When our elected officials and organizations that are given large sums of money change things so that I don't have to worry about it, then I'll leave my paperwork at home

Personally, i fold everything up and place it into one of those half sized manila envelopes. It has my ID all my permits and all my receipt. I throw it in my range bag when i go out, but it is a last resort policy that i will show anything to anyone.

Personally, i fold everything up and place it into one of those half sized manila envelopes. It has my ID all my permits and all my receipt. I throw it in my range bag when i go out, but it is a last resort policy that i will show anything to anyone.

It is cheap insurance. People are fond of saying "better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6". But, somehow "better to carry a few pieces of paper than face a criminal charge" is not cool.

For What??? That's the whole point...

The issue is not facing any actual criminal charges, but the thought of being threatened with one and having to deal with the BS. If an LEO is under the impression you need them and you don't have them, well it becomes a problem. Doesn't matter who is right or wrong, you end up in a unpleasant situation where you will probably be arrested and then everyone figures out.... ohhh there not needed.... I will "fight" an LEO over showing my permits, but if he's thinks i need them and refuses otherwise, then it's either get arrested and sort it all out later, or just show him the permits. Its a Sh*tty situation all around. I dont bank on people doing the right thing, or knowing how to handle a situation 100% of the time, so like said, i will try and get my point across that they are not needed, but im not going to put myself through the legal system just to make a point.

The issue surrounding why u need them is that i feel we need to prove out innocents, that our firearms are legal. Which is so a** backwards.

The issue is not facing any actual criminal charges, but the thought of being threatened with one and having to deal with the BS. If an LEO is under the impression you need them and you don't have them, well it becomes a problem. Doesn't matter who is right or wrong, you end up in a unpleasant situation where you will probably be arrested and then everyone figures out.... ohhh there not needed.... I will "fight" an LEO over showing my permits, but if he's thinks i need them and refuses otherwise, then it's either get arrested and sort it all out later, or just show him the permits. Its a Sh*tty situation all around. I dont bank on people doing the right thing, or knowing how to handle a situation 100% of the time, so like said, i will try and get my point across that they are not needed, but im not going to put myself through the legal system just to make a point.

The issue surrounding why u need them is that i feel we need to prove out innocents, that our firearms are legal. Which is so a** backwards.

Exactly. When is the last time you were pulled over and told the officer you disagreed with the ticket? Have fun trying to convince them they are wrong. Whether you ARE right is inconsequential, you are getting that ticket. The cop will say "Don't like it, fight it in court."

Having a handgun is playing with much bigger consequences, that frankly, I'm not willing to go through to prove a point. The peices of paper prove that point for me.

Like I said, I don't care if you're willing to do that, because you are right within our laws. Good luck.