Why would a LEO think you need them, especially if you have a trunk. Unless you are an idiot and have a box of shells on your car seat, empty brass on the floor of your car or say a .45 on your console. Personally, why would anyone want to volunteer the information? And, you don't have to tell a LEO where you are headed.

No permit needed to transfer a gun to someone is the correct answer. No information you need from your father's permit.

Being this thread is 6 years old and had been brought back to life, how many of you have been hassled by a cop when legally transporting firearms?  

• Like 1

No permit needed to transfer a gun to someone is the correct answer. No information you need from your father's permit.
Being this thread is 6 years old and had been brought back to life, how many of you have been hassled by a cop when legally transporting firearms?  

So I re read some of my posts in this thread and dont even worry about carrying my FID or anything anymore lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I used to carry an (unloaded) shotgun in my trunk at (almost) all times.  When I was in an accident (some kid ran a red light at 10PM a few days before Labor Day, nowhere near a range for that matter), the cop asked me something about the rifle case once.  He then proceeded to call it "THE ITEM" the entire rest of my interactions with him.  No asking for FID.  No asking to see it.  No asking anything at all about it, honestly.  He was more concerned with it being secured than anything else.

Him constantly talking about THE ITEM was one of the only funny things about that night...

• Like 2

Everyone's comments are more or less correct.  However I am a coward when it comes to unnecessarily testing my 2A rights.  To minimize any issues in the event of a LEO encounter I err on the side of caution when transporting.

1)  I made copies of my P2P pink copies and keep them in my range bag when transporting handguns.  The originals are secured at home.

2)  All firearms are unloaded and cable locked.  They are in cases that are also locked.  They are placed in the far back of my SUV inside my range bag (which is large enough.)

3)  Magazines are empty.

4)  Ammo is in locked boxes and placed in the middle of the SUV away from the gun cases.

5)  I keep my laminated FID in my wallet along with my range membership credentials.

I realize all this is not technically necessary but it doesn't take much extra time and I feel both physically and legally safer. 

I get it that misunderstandings can occur in any situation at any time, but those that are responsible in enforcing the law should know the law, or at least consult a supervisor or the NJSP website regarding firearms requirements before hauling an innocent citizen off to the clink. I always have my card, because you never know when you might run into a long gun deal if no p2ps,  and bring everything together in my range bag in the trunk. Nothing locked up in a plethora of lock boxes, bags, etc. It's not a question of avoiding an individual's interpretation of our convoluted laws, as  much as exercising my constitutionally protected rights.