emtjames

Looking for suggestions for range gear.

I just received my firearms card and pistol permit (28 days after applying) and started to build a range kit. I have my eyes and ears covered a set of ess crossbow shooting glasses with Rx frame ear muffs that fit comfortably over my eye protection 25 or 30 dbs, a cleaning kit for that just in case i need to lube or take care of an issue, and the ammo. For practice of failures i have some a-zoom training rounds(unsure if this would be a good idea to use for simulated failure) to practice at home and maybe run a failure drill at the range if safe. Any other items that I should add to a bag for just in case? I already carry a jump bag in my car for medical emergencies. The two guns I have are an fnp 40 and a savage mark ii fvxp bolt action 22lr to practice shooting at longer distances.

Slightly off topic but is there any ranges that allow shotgun use indoors in this state? I live in Woodbridge. Thank you in advance for any answers and suggestions.

James

No ranges that I know of will let you shoot all ammo, most if they allow shotties are limited. Why not look at a club. Combo indoor and outdoor ranges for all shooting styles. Now the indoor ranges still have restrictions on what you can shoot Click the OBRPC in my sig for one that's close to Woodbridge.

The little 3 inch shoot n see stick on targets are good. If you start to do any high volume shooting an uplula mag loader and a bag for your brass are worth while investments. I have a couple of air heads, and some gatorade powder in my bag because shooting in the summer and getting woosey from dehydration / low blood sugar is a bi***.

For your range bag:

* A towel, which you can use for drying off benches if they have dew in the morning.

* A staple gun and staples.

* Duct tape

* Multi-tool like a leatherman for doing quick repairs or pounding a pin back in.

* A wooden dowl for testing for a squib round.

One of the thing I would suggest is to purchase one more additional magazine for your FN and keep it in your range bag. One day you will be taking some friends to the range and suddenly remember that you left your magazines at home - or that you brought the wrong ones.

I just received my firearms card and pistol permit (28 days after applying) and started to build a range kit. I have my eyes and ears covered a set of ess crossbow shooting glasses with Rx frame ear muffs that fit comfortably over my eye protection 25 or 30 dbs, a cleaning kit for that just in case i need to lube or take care of an issue, and the ammo. For practice of failures i have some a-zoom training rounds(unsure if this would be a good idea to use for simulated failure) to practice at home and maybe run a failure drill at the range if safe. Any other items that I should add to a bag for just in case? I already carry a jump bag in my car for medical emergencies. The two guns I have are an fnp 40 and a savage mark ii fvxp bolt action 22lr to practice shooting at longer distances.

Slightly off topic but is there any ranges that allow shotgun use indoors in this state? I live in Woodbridge. Thank you in advance for any answers and suggestions.

James

most indoor ranges i have been to allow shotguns. i think you have to shoot slugs though.

a marker is always a good thing to keep in your range bag. some people like to use a marker to mark their shots on the target so they can reuse the target and see where the new holes are. tape works for this as well.

Also, the fnp40 is a nice handgun. i have one of those too. thats one that i will always keep

For your range bag:

* A towel, which you can use for drying off benches if they have dew in the morning.

* A staple gun and staples.

* Duct tape

* Multi-tool like a leatherman for doing quick repairs or pounding a pin back in.

* A wooden dowl for testing for a squib round.

One of the thing I would suggest is to purchase one more additional magazine for your FN and keep it in your range bag. One day you will be taking some friends to the range and suddenly remember that you left your magazines at home - or that you brought the wrong ones.

I always carry extra mags, band-aids, wet wipes for the powder on my fingers, and a little pair of binoculars.

I keep targets, extra ears, spare magazines, I hid the second set of keys to my trigger locks in my bag incase I forget, extra set of eyes, cleaning rods, lube, wash cloth, baby wipes, spare baseball cap, and electrical tape.

Lube...He said Lube...

Thank you for your responses I have several extra mags for the fn just in case anything happens and am leaving them in my bag. I have my eye protection and my wifes and 1 other set of full seal goggles has well has electrical tape and packing tape several types of targets (zombie targets :icon_e_biggrin: and small instant feed back targets). I have a full cleaning kit with oil and such. Will be bringing my multi tool and i have to pick up some wet wipes a stapler and staples. I gotta remember to bring hydration and small snack during the summer. I just have to pick up new trauma bandage. Thank you all for your responses hopefully I get to meet yous on at the ranges in the near future. Thank yous for the information about the ranges for shotgun shooting. James hehe lube

You can also pickup plastic ammo boxes. There were ones at Walmart last fall that were about $10.00 each. Really nice for bringing ammo to the range.

Mag Lula. i was a jew cheap and did not want to get one, but when I did, don't leave home without it.

Some other stuff... (nice to have, not required)

1. Timer (for keeping track of your splits, and overall shooting performance)

2. Chronometer , especially if you start reloading

3. Bunch of allen keys/wrenches for your bag, along with a small multi head screw driver.

4. Cleaning patches in your range bag, along with some oil or solvent.

5. Magazine brush (especially if you practice reloading, dropped mags on floor)

6. Snacks!

7. a Bag for empty brass to brass whore.

8. bunch of latex gloves (for the guys with sensitive skin. =P )

9. Markers/pens/sharpies to mark your targets... better yet... pasters

10. Extra ear plugs/ear muffs, eye protection for guests. When shooting indoors, i double up, plugs and muffs.

10.5. some extra cash stashed in the bag. when shooting, I will leave wallet and stuff in the car. sometimes you will want to buy stuff.

RTSP range in Randolph, NJ allow shotguns SLUGS only. Great bunch of guys work there. You do not need to be a member to shoot there.

As for a range bag I use a cheap camera bag. It works great.

BTW, why would you want to shoot a shotgun inside?

Mag Lula. i was a jew cheap and did not want to get one, but when I did, don't leave home without it.

Some other stuff... (nice to have, not required)

1. Timer (for keeping track of your splits, and overall shooting performance)

2. Chronometer , especially if you start reloading

3. Bunch of allen keys/wrenches for your bag, along with a small multi head screw driver.

4. Cleaning patches in your range bag, along with some oil or solvent.

5. Magazine brush (especially if you practice reloading, dropped mags on floor)

6. Snacks!

7. a Bag for empty brass to brass whore.

8. bunch of latex gloves (for the guys with sensitive skin. =P )

9. Markers/pens/sharpies to mark your targets... better yet... pasters

10. Extra ear plugs/ear muffs, eye protection for guests. When shooting indoors, i double up, plugs and muffs.

10.5. some extra cash stashed in the bag. when shooting, I will leave wallet and stuff in the car. sometimes you will want to buy stuff.

Ok, came to realization there is more stuff that needs to go into range bag.

11. Squib Rod - Either you or someone else at the range will need to use one to remove a stuck case, or a bullet stuck in the barrel from your reloads or factory ammo.

12. Lead wipes - or anything else to remove lead and other crap from your fingers and face. Shooting indoors you are not doing your health any favors.

13. Band aids, wrapping tape, and other minor first aid stuff. You will get slide bite, some idiot will shoot bird shot in the port next to you, stuff goes flying back at you.

14. Bottle of water to keep you hydrated. Some ranges have stuff, others do not. Do not get dehydrated.

I have made a dedicated range bag 3 day bag I used when I played airsoft. Ammo cans have many of those divided my ammo up into mine, my wife's and by caliber.

I don't mind getting dirty, gotta get time in the mud once in a while. But i carry alcohol wipes with me now last time i left a range my hands were black and yellow. I carrying extra eyes and ears just in case I forget or miss place mine or have a friend come with me. I carry sharpies in 3 different colors in case a group of us are shooting the same target. Carry a case or 2 of H2O in the back of my jeep just gotta remember the snacks. Looking to shoot a shotgun inside cause sometimes its a convenient option pending when I get outta work. I'm left the jump bag in the car but I carry some roller gauze and gauze pads in various sizes with bacitracin (too many bags and boxes looked like I was moving into the range). Celox is pretty cool stuff when I worked in a hospital I heard some of the doc's complain bout Quikclot back many years ago. Thank yous for the suggestions again and has I read I add more items to my kit.