when_shtf

Any Opinions on the S&W M&P Sport?

I'm an experienced rifle/gun owner (bolt & lever action rifles, pump shotguns and a .357 revolver) but I've never owned a semi-automatic weapon. I'm looking for an entry-level AR15 and the Smith and Wesson M&P Sport has caught my eye. I've been doing some research and the features and options are just overwhelming. As much as I'd like to roll my own, I think I need to know and understand what a basic weapon is, if such an AR even exists. After I get a feel for the rife I can begin to form a list of likes and dislikes. From there I can decide to upgrade the M&P Sport or start from scratch.

I'd like to hear opinions from anyone that owns or has significant time using this rifle.

Thanks

Gary

Those are on my short list for consideration as well but there are 4 models I am trying to find out the differences on.

I did note that the A-frame front sight will obscure the field of view of an optical device.

I just bought one. Should be fine for shooting at the range. Haven't shot it yet but I've changed out the handguards and grip. But, since I have no other AR to compare it to, I wouldn't be able to give an objective review even when I shoot it.

Like everything else on an AR, the sights can be changed when I add optics. I believe the F type is the front site that works with optics.

What are the other AR's that you are shopping?

Changing sights is possible but not so easy. I have a red dot on it with the medium riser and it cowitnesses just above the front sight post.

I think the sport has no foward assist. Not a buggy depending on what you wanna do, my buddy has one and let me shoot it, didn't really notice a different between it and the stag I shot earlier that day. For 750 bucks its not a bad gun

Bingo!! Thank you! You don't have to spend mega bucks for AR goodness.

I think the sport has no foward assist. Not a buggy depending on what you wanna do, my buddy has one and let me shoot it, didn't really notice a different between it and the stag I shot earlier that day. For 750 bucks its not a bad gun

If you're spending $750, you are spending too much. Cheyenee had them for $625 around Thanksgiving. $675 now.

I second it. For a base AR you cant go wrong. The forward assist is not that big of a deal. The dust cover most people dont use anyway. I would snatch it up in a second. $750 is a little too much.

Read this if you are concerned about the F/O...

http://shootrite.wordpress.com/2010/09/19/the-shootrite-katana/

Like everything else on an AR, the sights can be changed when I add optics. I believe the F type is the front site that works with optics.

What are the other AR's that you are shopping?

Here is my Short list. The LWRC is out of my price range...

Stag Arms AR-15 Model 2T 5.56 NATO

Sig Sauer M400 (AR-15) 5.56x45mm #77441

SIG516

Ruger SR-556E

Mossberg MMR 5.56 NATO

S&W M&P15T; Barrel Length: 16" / 40.6 cm, Barrel Twist: 1 in 8" 5R Rifling, Front Sight: Folding Magpul® (MBUS), Rear Sight: Folding Magpul® (MBUS), Overall Length: 35" Extended / 32" Collapsed, Stock: 6-Position Telescopic, Weight: 6.85 lbs. / 3,107.1 g,

Stag Arms Model 3 Forged and Mil Spec., None/Gas Block, 16" Chrome Lined 1/9 Twist, Std, 30 Round**, 6 Position Collapsible

LWRC M6A5 Semi-auto Rifle 5.56 NATO / .223 Rem 16" Barrel, Mid-length, 30 Rounds, 2-pos Gas Block, Flip Up Sights, Black

This is the exact topic I was looking for.

I went to NJFG today to go look at AR's and came across the M&P Sport which they are selling for 675, and they had one there. Was going to buy it but wanted to do some more research on it. Stopped at the bullet hole today also, they did not have any in stock but price was 699.

I'm a S&W fan, the SW99 was my first gun and my favorite of my collection so I obviously trust the brand. I know I'm loosing the dust cover and the thumb push thing (sorry I don't know the technical name, lol) aside from that it's got everything you could want on an AR for the price it seems. My future plans for it would be tac handle, flashlight holder, and some type of optical sight. Correct me if I'm wrong but the sport should accommodate these wants in the future.

Sw99.

This is the exact topic I was looking for.

I went to NJFG today to go look at AR's and came across the M&P Sport which they are selling for 675, and they had one there. Was going to buy it but wanted to do some more research on it. Stopped at the bullet hole today also, they did not have any in stock but price was 699.

I'm a S&W fan, the SW99 was my first gun and my favorite of my collection so I obviously trust the brand. I know I'm loosing the dust cover and the thumb push thing (sorry I don't know the technical name, lol) aside from that it's got everything you could want on an AR for the price it seems. My future plans for it would be tac handle, flashlight holder, and some type of optical sight. Correct me if I'm wrong but the sport should accommodate these wants in the future.

Sw99.

If this is the M&P15 Sport model then you can add those accessories. Just keep in mind that since it comes with the stock hand guards, you will need to find the proper way to mount the flashlight (ie. rail that mounts to the fsb)

If you want to add a forward grip or bi-pods in the future as well, then you'll have to swap the hand guard for drop-in rails to become tacti-cool.

If this is the M&P15 Sport model then you can add those accessories. Just keep in mind that since it comes with the stock hand guards, you will need to find the proper way to mount the flashlight (ie. rail that mounts to the fsb)

If you want to add a forward grip or bi-pods in the future as well, then you'll have to swap the hand guard for drop-in rails to become tacti-cool.

When the time comes (and money) i could change to something like this http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Rings/105-BH-71QF01-BK.html and then add all my little goodies. right?

I had an M&P but had one with a forward assist.. I will not buy an AR without one...

it was OK.. but I would rather save the cash.. and build one.. and get EXACTLY what I want..

Why would you never get one with out a forward assist? Everything I read and the places I stopped today all said the same thing. If your not crawling through mud, dirt and sand, there is really no reason to have one.

Technically this does have one..

at about the 2:15 mark.

.. but I would rather save the cash.. and build one.. and get EXACTLY what I want..

Well, that's kind of my point; I don't know EXACTLY what I want. I just know that I want.

After owning, shooting, cleaning and modifying a basic AR, I'll have a better idea of what I want and I can purchase a more expensive or capable weapon with extreme confidence.

Right now, I just want to get in the game.

Well, that's kind of my point; I don't know EXACTLY what I want. I just know that I want.

After owning, shooting, cleaning and modifying a basic AR, I'll have a better idea of what I want and I can purchase a more expensive or capable weapon with extreme confidence.

Right now, I just want to get in the game.

Thats right. Only hands-on time and experience can tell you excactly what you want- and even then those wants are always evolving. An AR noob can read all he wants about the multitude of features but you gotta start shooting first/getting in the game and starting with the basics is always a good start. At least thats what I'm doing!

I don't buy guns to sit at a bench on a nice sunny day shooting paper.. I am rough on my guns.. I get them dirty.. and (without sounding crazy) who knows if I would ever have to count on them for my life.. so with that said.. I am not going to buy a gun without extra useful features because it is a $100 less..

these people telling you that a forward assist is not needed..

they are right.. for a weekend shooter.. highly maintained.. always lubed AR.. that is probably true..

but I will tell you something.. without really trying.. I have had an AR15 fail on me.. I ran the gun so much with such little maintenance that the bolt would drag and not fully cycle.. this caused the gun to eject the round and strip off another but the bolt would fail to go completely closed.. I would just bang it home with the forward assist and I was able to keep firing.. had that been a life or death situation and I had no forward assist I really doubt I would have been able to close the bolt.. that in itself has shown me to NEVER run an AR15 without it.. another use of the forward assist is to make sure the bolt is fully closed when you are trying to quietly chamber a round.. which is less important to me.. but none the less still a function..

as far as what you want.. you are right there are a million and one configurations for an AR15.. but what you want to do with the gun would dictate the configuration.... if you are shooting far.. from a fixed location... then you would likely want a longer heavier barrel.. weight would not be much of an issue.. a stock like the magpul PRS would be ideal.. if you were using the gun to run and gun.. then you are going to want a lighter profile gun.. with AR it is pretty easy to pick out a build without ever having handled the gun.. simply by knowing what the intended use is..

Great info vlad,thanks!

I'm more of a weekend shooter and have been wanting an AR for a few years so starting simple (with the ability to do some upgrades/customizing) is good for me, not to mention price is also a concern.

Saiga Whore,

I certainly appreciate your experience and advice. I’m not a hard-core weapon user. I fire for fun and enjoyment. If the time ever comes that I have to use a weapon in anger, it will be defensive and within a range 100 to 200 yards on my own property. All of my firearms get cleaned after each use. Crawling through mud just isn’t in my future. Even my hunting rifle (my .30-30) gets cleaned after a day of hunting, even if I didn’t fire it. It’s just how I operate and how my father taught me to respect firearms.

Thanks for your perspective, it is valued.

Saiga Whore,

I certainly appreciate your experience and advice. I’m not a hard-core weapon user. I fire for fun and enjoyment. If the time ever comes that I have to use a weapon in anger, it will be defensive and within a range 100 to 200 yards on my own property. All of my firearms get cleaned after each use. Crawling through mud just isn’t in my future. Even my hunting rifle (my .30-30) gets cleaned after a day of hunting, even if I didn’t fire it. It’s just how I operate and how my father taught me to respect firearms.

Thanks for your perspective, it is valued.

I operate under the assumption that there may come a time where life as you know it is dramatically different..

take for instance Katrina... law enforcement was unable to reach people.. roads were flooded out.. there were looters.. lack of running water and supplies...

it is easy to assume that your gun will always be in pristine condition.. serviced as it should.. but I will not assume that.. as assuming that could leave me high and dry when the gun is really needed.. and that again is why I opt for the most features that will optimize performance.. IMO a dust cover and forward assist.. are far more useful than a rail.. of front grip. and all that.. but again it is all about your priorities.. I will never trust my AR as much as my AK.. but I built my ARs around having the most chance of success every time I pull the trigger.. and that is what is paramount for me..

I would just bang it home with the forward assist and I was able to keep firing.. had that been a life or death situation and I had no forward assist I really doubt I would have been able to close the bolt.. that in itself has shown me to NEVER run an AR15 without it..

But did you try to close the bolt without using the FA? Or are you just assuming that you you wouldnt have been able to push bolt closed using the way Stoner designed into the rifle? As the FA was only added to please the army.

I could care less if my rifles have it or not (mine does) Im just curious.