when_shtf

Any Opinions on the S&W M&P Sport?

But did you try to close the bolt without using the FA? Or are you just assuming that you you wouldnt have been able to push bolt closed using the way Stoner designed into the rifle? As the FA was only added to please the army.

I could care less if my rifles have it or not (mine does) Im just curious.

it was tight with the forward assist so I doubt just thumbing the bolt would have worked (but in fairness it might have I did not try)..

I understand the whole concept of the design.. but to be honest I agree with the army.. I see being able to push it with the palm as giving you more speed and simpler angle.. I see far more chance for your thumb slipping than the forward assist slipping..

Not all my firearms are battle ready or tools. There might be one or two for that. But the rest I treasure and will do my best to keep them looking pristine.

if I had multiples of rifles and was a collector I would share that same mindset.. there are guns that I would like to get that are just cool pieces and the overall reliability would not be a huge concern...

but when you have ONE Ar is 556 then it has gotta work.. every time.. when you have ONE shotgun.. its gotta work every time..

so I am going to focus on accessories and parts that make that happen..

you get it.. lol

I get it, you have to be able to trust your firearms. Out of all my guns I would reach for my S&W SW99 before anything else. It was my first gun has been shot hundreds of times and has never jammed once, cleaned or not. I know I could trust it. my buddy talked me out of the Sport and is going to build me one. Will post pics when it's all done, should be a few weeks.

I get it, you have to be able to trust your firearms. Out of all my guns I would reach for my S&W SW99 before anything else. It was my first gun has been shot hundreds of times and has never jammed once, cleaned or not. I know I could trust it. my buddy talked me out of the Sport and is going to build me one. Will post pics when it's all done, should be a few weeks.

dont let anyone talk you into anything.. lol fortunately with guns (especially AR15s..) there really is a right and a wrong.. and right is what is going to work best for your situation.. a build is definitely the way to get exactly what you want.. good luck with it..

This is the exact topic I was looking for.

I went to NJFG today to go look at AR's and came across the M&P Sport which they are selling for 675, and they had one there. Was going to buy it but wanted to do some more research on it. Stopped at the bullet hole today also, they did not have any in stock but price was 699.

I'm a S&W fan, the SW99 was my first gun and my favorite of my collection so I obviously trust the brand. I know I'm loosing the dust cover and the thumb push thing (sorry I don't know the technical name, lol) aside from that it's got everything you could want on an AR for the price it seems. My future plans for it would be tac handle, flashlight holder, and some type of optical sight. Correct me if I'm wrong but the sport should accommodate these wants in the future.

Sw99.

You need to replace the handguard in order to accomadate the handle and flashlight. I changed my handguard by myself out without any tool in 2 minutes. Maybe my delta ring was wimpy. Palmetto State Armory sells a delta ring tool for about $8.00. Pick one up from them.

A red dot just mounts on the top rail but you'll need a riser to get the dot above the front sight. Amazon sells UTG risers for about $10. The medium profile give exact cowitness on the Sport and worked fine on the .22. rifle. Haven't tried it yet on the Sport to see if it stays on and is dependable.

dont let anyone talk you into anything.. lol fortunately with guns (especially AR15s..) there really is a right and a wrong.. and right is what is going to work best for your situation.. a build is definitely the way to get exactly what you want.. good luck with it..

He has 3 of his own which he's build from the ground up, all completely custom. So he kinda became the go to guy for this stuff, hes constantly building units for the guys in his department, friends, etc. I trust um, so let's see what happens.

You need to replace the handguard in order to accomadate the handle and flashlight. I changed my handguard by myself out without any tool in 2 minutes. Maybe my delta ring was wimpy. Palmetto State Armory sells a delta ring tool for about $8.00. Pick one up from them.

A red dot just mounts on the top rail but you'll need a riser to get the dot above the front sight. Amazon sells UTG risers for about $10. The medium profile give exact cowitness on the Sport and worked fine on the .22. rifle. Haven't tried it yet on the Sport to see if it stays on and is dependable.

1. Save the $8.00... No need to purchase a delta ring tool. Most delta rings can be pulled down easily and the tougher ones just need a better technique, the handles of channel lock pliers or an extra person.

2. If SW99 is referring to a forward grip as a "tac handle" then you're correct, he'll need to change the hand guards. I usually associate "handle" with the charging handle.

3. Not all red dot sights require a riser for a 1/3 co-witness.

• Like 1

Noob's like me don't know "exactly what they want" without much experience so it is an easier choice to choose something off the shelf after getting some good feedback on these here Forums.

I believe we need a fixed stock. There is a drop down box on the S&W website for compliant models like the S&W M&P15FT Fixed Stock

811048_01_md.jpg

Noob's like me don't know "exactly what they want" without much experience so it is an easier choice to choose something off the shelf after getting some good feedback on these here Forums.

I believe we need a fixed stock. There is a drop down box on the S&W website for compliant models like the S&W M&P15FT Fixed Stock

811048_01_md.jpg

what I meant by that was this...

you are going to build a rifle for normally one of two roles.. long range shooting... or "run and gun"..

and that goal will dictate if you are building a gun based more on accuracy, in which case you would likely go with a magnified scope... maybe a bipod.. nice stock.. probably a heavier longer barrel.. OR you could be looking at a gun you will be moving a lot with.. in that instance light weight is key.. once you know which direction you are going in.. then the gun is built around it..

you are going to build a rifle for normally one of two roles.. long range shooting... or "run and gun"..

and that goal will dictate if you are building a gun based more on accuracy, in which case you would likely go with a magnified scope... maybe a bipod.. nice stock.. probably a heavier longer barrel.. OR you could be looking at a gun you will be moving a lot with.. in that instance light weight is key.. once you know which direction you are going in.. then the gun is built around it..

Yep, makes 100% sense. I think I'm looking for a weapon that is dialed in for 200 yards. A scope that can be easily removed is on my list of options. Beyond that and a good 3-point harness it will be try and buy.

Yep, makes 100% sense. I think I'm looking for a weapon that is dialed in for 200 yards. A scope that can be easily removed is on my list of options. Beyond that and a good 3-point harness it will be try and buy.

IMO

inside 100 yards a magnified scope is kind of lost..

inside 100 yards a red dot will really excel and get you on target fast..

what you might want to consider is a red dot with a removable magnifier.. that will give you very fast target acquisition at short range.. but allow for magnification at longer range.. all in the same package..

I prefer Aimpoint but they are really costly.. Primary Arms has some great setups that are significantly less expensive.. I am far from an exceptional shooter and I can hit at 200 yards without a magnified optic..

Inside 100 yards a magnified scope is kind of lost..

what you might want to consider is a red dot with a removable magnifier.. that will give you very fast target acquisition at short range.. but allow for magnification at longer range.. all in the same package.

LOL, my 12 year old son just gave me the exact advice. I can't believe what they learn on Call of Duty. He's a better shot then me too.

The optics Dicks sells aren't bad, the red dot they carry there held zero for about 100 3inch buck.shots before I decided that for home defense a fiber.optic bead would be better. I threw it on my 15-22 and it worked great just not what I was looking for, if your looking for a in expensive optic check them out

LOL, my 12 year old son just gave me the exact advice. I can't believe what they learn on Call of Duty. He's a better shot then me too.

primary arms will get it done if your budget is on the lower side..

Aimpoint is some hardcore mil spec stuff... but is FAR more expensive..

for JUST my AR and AK it is almost $1,000 in optics for two aimpoint red dots..

primary arms will get you something at a little over a $100 and they are from my understanding good to go..

The optics Dicks sells aren't bad, the red dot they carry there held zero for about 100 3inch buck.shots before I decided that for home defense a fiber.optic bead would be better. I threw it on my 15-22 and it worked great just not what I was looking for, if your looking for a in expensive optic check them out

I have a $40 Dick's TruGlo red dot on my 15-22. No problems.

A TRS25 red dot out to 100 yds is no problem for me on the M&P Sport. Cost me $40 after rebate. But 200 yards.... Vlad has younger eyes than me. Or maybe I'm expecting a tighter grouping and more accuracy than it realistic. But, 100 yards is the longest I've shot.

I have a $40 Dick's TruGlo red dot on my 15-22. No problems.

A TRS25 red dot out to 100 yds is no problem for me on the M&P Sport. Cost me $40 after rebate. But 200 yards.... Vlad has younger eyes than me. Or maybe I'm expecting a tighter grouping and more accuracy than it realistic. But, 100 yards is the longest I've shot.

also all depends on goal..

I can shoot 200 with red dot.. no magnifier.. and make center mass shots..

I sacrifice some accuracy to get fast target acquisition sub 100 yards..

with that said a red dot WITH a magnifier would IMO be pretty decent out to 200.. keep in mind I am not drawing from experience I have no magnifier.. just drawing from shooting experience with unmagnified red dot..

all that said.. as you pointed out.. eyesight will play a strong role in the outcome.. lol my eyes are decent..

Not to hijack the thread, but at what distance would you swtich from an AR15 platform to a bolt rifle with scope? Or do you think that a longer barreled AR15 with scope is a viable alternative for 300 to 400 yd shots?

Back the Sport, the red dot with the A2 front sight was not an issue. Before I shot it, was thinking that the front sight would bother me and the low profile front gas block would be better. I had no trouble hitting the target with the backup sights but much tighter and accurate with the red dot. Just seemed to shoot a little high with the "iron" sights.

Not to hijack the thread, but at what distance would you swtich from an AR15 platform to a bolt rifle with scope? Or do you think that a longer barreled AR15 with scope is a viable alternative for 300 to 400 yd shots?

Back the Sport, the red dot with the A2 front sight was not an issue. Before I shot it, was thinking that the front sight would bother me and the low profile front gas block would be better. I had no trouble hitting the target with the backup sights but much tighter and accurate with the red dot. Just seemed to shoot a little high with the "iron" sights.

I think it depends on the AR.. but even in 556 the right AR can be a 500 yard gun? go to 308 and it will get it done even further..

I have a scoped AR in 308 that just about puts holes in holes.. I went AR over a bolt gun because I felt the precision was there.. with the advantage of semi auto.. and that is only a 16in gun..

the red dot with iron sights "in the way" does not bother me.. if it is shooting "high" consistently with the irons.. then adjust them.. to drop the shot down a little?

I think it depends on the AR.. but even in 556 the right AR can be a 500 yard gun? go to 308 and it will get it done even further..

I have a scoped AR in 308 that just about puts holes in holes.. I went AR over a bolt gun because I felt the precision was there.. with the advantage of semi auto.. and that is only a 16in gun..

the red dot with iron sights "in the way" does not bother me.. if it is shooting "high" consistently with the irons.. then adjust them.. to drop the shot down a little?

What model 308 are you shooting those holes with and what scope?

If you could only have (1) reliable low maintenence AR what would it be and how setup? And under 2K.

Thanks

What model 308 are you shooting those holes with and what scope?

If you could only have (1) reliable low maintenence AR what would it be and how setup? And under 2K.

Thanks

dpms1.jpg

111420101.jpg

111420102.jpg

DPMS 308

Leupold 3-9x scope

Larue mount

Harris bipod

Magpul PRS

basically an off the shelf AR in 308 nothing special..

as far as low maintenance AR?

not sure.. I just built an AR15 for about $2k that I hope to fit the profile you described.. but I have yet to shoot the gun yet..

I will torture the shit out of the gun though...

I am used to AK reliability so it is hard to match that..

this is that AR.. goal being a lightweight run and gun do all multipurpose AR15..

$2k includes the optic..

arvlad8.jpg

• AR15.com Lower
  • Magpul MIAD
  • Spike’s ST-T2 Buffer
  • Magpul CTR Stock
  • Magpul Pmag
  • Midwest Industries Gen II Rail
  • Larue index clips
  • Troy Rear DOA BUIS
  • Aimpoint PRO
  • Haley Thorntail G2 Mount
  • Surefire G2 light
  • Surefire UM tailcap
  • Surefire SR07
  • Spikes Tactical Upper 1:7 Twist 5.56 Mid-Length Gas System 14.5in Barrel
  • Spikes Tactical Dyna Comp Muzzle Brake (Permanently Attached)

what I meant by that was this...

Thanks Vlad, You have helped me formulate my direction on purchases once the funds are freed up. I'll be looking for an AR in 5.56/.223 for a "run and gun" and a .308/7.62 for a long range gun.

Do you use a secondary firearm when practicing drills?

Thanks Vlad, You have helped me formulate my direction on purchases once the funds are freed up. I'll be looking for an AR in 5.56/.223 for a "run and gun" and a .308/7.62 for a long range gun.

Do you use a secondary firearm when practicing drills?

I have a glock 23 that I practice transitioning to... all my rifles are on slings...

but it all depends on what I am doing.. the 308 not so much because that is a gun I would mostly shoot from a fixed location.. making longer shots.. so not so much transitioning going on there..

I have one, picked it up at the last VF gun show for 625. I have about 500 rounds through it and only one malfunction that i think was the ammo anyway. I also have a scope on it, the front sight doesnt bother me at all, i can barely see it. Just comes up as a small black blur at the bottom. Overall i am very happy with it.

dpms1.jpg

111420101.jpg

111420102.jpg

DPMS 308

Leupold 3-9x scope

Larue mount

Harris bipod

Magpul PRS

basically an off the shelf AR in 308 nothing special..

as far as low maintenance AR?

not sure.. I just built an AR15 for about $2k that I hope to fit the profile you described.. but I have yet to shoot the gun yet..

I will torture the shit out of the gun though...

I am used to AK reliability so it is hard to match that..

this is that AR.. goal being a lightweight run and gun do all multipurpose AR15..

$2k includes the optic..

arvlad8.jpg

• AR15.com Lower
  • Magpul MIAD
  • Spike’s ST-T2 Buffer
  • Magpul CTR Stock
  • Magpul Pmag
  • Midwest Industries Gen II Rail
  • Larue index clips
  • Troy Rear DOA BUIS
  • Aimpoint PRO
  • Haley Thorntail G2 Mount
  • Surefire G2 light
  • Surefire UM tailcap
  • Surefire SR07
  • Spikes Tactical Upper 1:7 Twist 5.56 Mid-Length Gas System 14.5in Barrel
  • Spikes Tactical Dyna Comp Muzzle Brake (Permanently Attached)

Thanks Vlad

Sweet hardware. Hope to see your post about the new ar's performance.

One more off topic question, (sorry wtf). Looks like I'm gonna need a AK. So whats it gonna be Vlad AK47 or AKM or AK74 ? Why? Ok that was (2) Questions.

Thanks

IMO

inside 100 yards a magnified scope is kind of lost..

what you might want to consider is a red dot with a removable magnifier.. that will give you very fast target acquisition at short range.. but allow for magnification at longer range.. all in the same package..

I prefer Aimpoint but they are really costly.. Primary Arms has some great setups that are significantly less expensive.. I am far from an exceptional shooter and I can hit at 200 yards without a magnified optic..

x2, I have a Primary Arms micro dot with the ADM qd mount on my AR and can make hits on 12" targets at 200 yards pretty well, even with my crappy eyes. I also like the micro dots because they are lightweight, my rifle unloaded weighs in right about 7lbs with the micro on it.

Thanks Vlad

Sweet hardware. Hope to see your post about the new ar's performance.

One more off topic question, (sorry wtf). Looks like I'm gonna need a AK. So whats it gonna be Vlad AK47 or AKM or AK74 ? Why? Ok that was (2) Questions.

Thanks

well to start.. you wont be buying an "AK47" or any of that..

you will be buying some modern variant.. WASR.. Saiga.. etc..

I personally prefer Saigas because I have had an insane amount of success with them..

you can get an AK variant in 223... 308... 5.45x39.. 7.62x39..

what you choose will be based on what you want out of the gun... 308 has a lot of power.. 7.62x39 is a strong mid range caliber that will penetrate more than 223.. 5.45x39 is cheap.. and has virtually no recoil..

"what AK do I get" is a broad question..

I built many Saigas.. but I kept a Saiga in 7.62x39 because it is insanely reliable... penetrates more than 223.. and gets it done..

if you tell me what you want out of an AK I can likely point you in the right direction..

this is mine..saiga762finalvlad.JPG