lexcruiser

Yes. ANOTHER "first" build post...

Like some others on the forum, I recently got the itch for an AR and decided to go and build my own. My only AR experience prior to this was fiddling with my 15-22 and swapping parts around on that, but nothing in terms of full takedown / re-assemble.

After talking it over with some folks, I decided to build my own to "save" money and get it to my desired specs.

BIG thanks to PaperCutNinja who helped me tremendously along the way...

Now some pics -

The task was a bit daunting after unboxing the first shipment of parts.....

photo1.jpg

A few hours and a whole lot of YouTube vids later....

photo3.jpg

Other side..

photo5.jpg

Fully built "base" rifle (shaved bayo lug & pinned stock)

photo6.jpg

Shots from today with add'l goodies -

photo9.jpg

photo10.jpg

photo11.jpg

Overall the build process was a great experience. Definitely learned a heck of a lot and I feel very comfortable now if I ever have to strip or troubleshoot this thing. The ONLY thing I'd say is the roll pins were the biggest pain in the a$$. The tolerances were so tight on the lower receiver that it was pretty difficult hammering the roll pins for the slide catch and trigger guard. Otherwise, the build itself was not bad whatsoever. Launched the front detent a few times but managed to find it. :maninlove:

It definitely feels a bit front heavy with the HWS mounted on the forward portion of the hand guard but I still plan to put a magnifier behind it.. which will make it even heavier. :girlwacko:

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it.

SPECS

• BCM Upper with BFH Middy barrel + pinned Battlecomp compensator
  • Spikes Tacticle Nickel Boron BCG
  • Vltor CASV-S hand guard
  • Gunfighter Mod 4 charging handle
  • Troy rear folding Battle Sight
  • MP15 Lower receiver with PSA LPK
  • Wilson Combat single stage trigger unit
  • Vltor iMod stock with buffer tube kit (pinned)
  • Vltor offset QD Scout Mount with Streamlight TL2-X
  • Magpul MOE grip
  • Magpul ASAP end plate
  • Magpul RSA sling attachment
  • Magpul BAD lever
  • Magpul rail covers
  • Tango Down QD foregrip
  • Eotech 516 HWS

I think that about covers all the parts....

Haven't had a chance to take her to the range yet but I must say, the WC trigger is ridiculously phenomenal. It's bad, but I think all future builds will need this trigger else it just won't be the same..

What made you choose the step down handguard as opposed to the system with the complete rail elevated?

It looks like the handguard is the right height, and the rail on the receiver is a step up. I'm curious as to why you wouldn't want a uniform plane to work with. You already had a flat top upper receiver, why add another section of rail on top of it?

• Like 1

I like it

What made you choose the step down handguard as opposed to the system with the complete rail elevated?

gun looks great.. but I also do nto understand why you would want the optic way out in front over your support hand? seems like it would make the gun more front heavy than it needs to be?

In theory it is best to have a 1X optic as far forward as possible. If a person can become accustomed to that weight and find that balance, more power to them.

i have both.. close on the AR and far on the AK..

and I agree having it far forward.. BUT with that said.. the AK is an H1 which is tiny so no real weight difference..

but like you said.. if he likes it that is all that matters..

I like it

When I was doing my initial research, I read that the stepped handguard would properly allow co-witnessing the HWS with the front sight while also giving a scope on the higher rear portion enough rise to give a clear sight picture. At the time, it sounded good so I went for it.

Looking back, I probably would've gotten the standard height version as I think my intent for this rifle is more for close/mid-range so no need for a long distance scope.

Regardless, still happy with the setup. I'll probably get a magnifier for the HWS to finish up this build..

Nice build. Make sure to grind that bayo lug off of there ASAP.

The lug is shaved off. It's probably difficult to tell from the pics but both ears and the lower 3rd of the "lug" is gone. There's no way to attach anything to it.

Looks GREAT. How much do you think you "saved" by doing it yourself?

That's a trick question which I can't answer. :girlwacko: