SpacemanFry

9mm 1911

I vote anything but Kimber. Check out Dan Wesson 1911 in 9mm. They are terrific guns. STI is a good choice too. Colt, too. Kimber is the Absolut vodka of the 1911 world. Good marketing and an attractive exterior compensating for a very mediocre product.

• Like 1

I forgot those other companies have military/le contracts.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/03/handgun_reviews_st_0212_lapd/ LAPD SWAT and SIS use Kimber

http://www.tacticalgearmag.com/page/tacoma-washington-police-1 Tacoma, WA PD issue Kimber

From wikipeida:

A modified version of the "Team Match II" .45 ACP caliber pistol is used by the US Shooting Rapid Fire Pistol Team. In 2002, the LAPD chose a slightly modified and specially marked (marked in "LAPD SWAT CUSTOM II") version of the Custom TLE II as the standard issue for its SWAT unit. Several other law enforcement agencies have approved Kimber firearms for on-duty carry by their patrol and SWAT officers.[9] In 2007 a new pistol designed by the LAPD Special Investigation Section was added to the Kimber's line of M1911-pattern pistols.[10] A modified Kimber 1911 was also chosen as the sidearm for Marine Corps forces assigned to Special Operations Command. [11]

The latest smith 1911 pro 9mm have incorporated adjustable sights. For this reason , smith has taken the initiative to raise the price of the gun $150-200 more, plus I think there is a little profit taking going on due to the demand.

Your best bet is to find new old-stock of the fixed sight model. They should be a few hundred less. This is what I did when I got mine.

• Like 1

I am not saying that Colt or Spartan are bad in any way, but if you are saying that Kimber is subpar, back it up. I dont see where Spartan or Colt have any LE/Militray contracts. They may have but I cant find them.

Go to either 1911 forum and see what people who know their 1911's think of them.

www.1911forum.com

forum.m1911.org/

Also, the guns used in those military/law enforcement contracts are not filled with MIM parts like the off-the-shelf version we would buy. It may sound like I have an axe to grind with Kimber. That is not true. I know many people that own them and like them (particularly the first gen older ones), like yourself. I just try to make it known that they are not be-all end-all upper tier 1911's, despite Kimber's marketing themselves as one. They are perfectly serviceable guns, but have a tendency to break down under hard use. I am sure the USPSA guys will start chiming in on Kimber's rep at matches.

Go to either 1911 forum and see what people who know their 1911's think of them.

www.1911forum.com

forum.m1911.org/

Also, the guns used in those military/law enforcement contracts are not filled with MIM parts like the off-the-shelf version we would buy. It may sound like I have an axe to grind with Kimber. That is not true. I know many people that own them and like them (particularly the first gen older ones), like yourself. I just try to make it known that they are not be-all end-all upper tier 1911's, despite Kimber's marketing themselves as one. They are perfectly serviceable guns, but have a tendency to break down under hard use. I am sure the USPSA guys will start chiming in on Kimber's rep at matches.

Of course. There are alot of great 1911s. But remember that any company has to promote their firearms as the end all be all gun. Thats what those marketing people do. :)

I eventually want to get an older Colt 70's series and a SA 1911, and a Remington R1 and the list could go on and on...I need more money :(

This gun 5 months ago was selling around 1150.00

Figures. I guess the new old stock of fixed sights went up in price as a result of the new adjustable version huge price jump. Capitalism at its finest.

So I've been wanting to get a SW 1911 Pro 9mm, unfortunately they seem to be really hard to find/get (no idea why). So, looking for suggestions for a similar 9mm 1911. Reliability & accuracy are key.

Thanks

What do you want to do with the gun? Target, SD/HD, Gaming??

If gaming weight the differences between Minor and Major 8 shots vs 10 etc..

I bring this up being there was just a similar conversation in another thread and I'm also interested in see what people think. Plus I know I would like to get one that fits the bill for me (Gaming) but will probably get 1 in each caliber anyway but would rather get the better of the 2 first.

www.1911forum.com

forum.m1911.org/

So, you don't own one? I have shot mine and a buddy's Colt. The colt was WILDLY innacurate. Might have been just his gun, but it just seemed to put rounds all over the place. My gun, a Kimber, hits what I point it at. Eats everything other than WWB. Simply put, it runs like a top. I don't comment on things I haven't shot and if I do, I make sure to qualify my statement with a "From what I hear". Do your self a favor and PM me, and we will set up a time for you to come and shoot my gun. MIM or not, it's a beaut. There is a thread on a 1911 board where the gent had meticulous records of his gun, a Kimber, putting 134,000+ rounds down range and he finally needed to send it back for a repair. That sounds pretty reliable and resistant to wear to me.

Trust me, I don't want to start a pissing war. It's an unnecessary waste of everyone's time. However, a gun shouldn't be dismissed out of hand because of what someone "heard".

To the OP, good luck in your search. It seems you are pretty far from NNJ, however if you make it up this way and want to shoot my gun, shoot me a PM and we will set it up.

Hijack over.

C

So, you don't own one? I have shot mine and a buddy's Colt. The colt was WILDLY innacurate. Might have been just his gun, but it just seemed to put rounds all over the place. My gun, a Kimber, hits what I point it at. Eats everything other than WWB. Simply put, it runs like a top. I don't comment on things I haven't shot and if I do, I make sure to qualify my statement with a "From what I hear". Do your self a favor and PM me, and we will set up a time for you to come and shoot my gun. MIM or not, it's a beaut. There is a thread on a 1911 board where the gent had meticulous records of his gun, a Kimber, putting 134,000+ rounds down range and he finally needed to send it back for a repair. That sounds pretty reliable and resistant to wear to me.

Trust me, I don't want to start a pissing war. It's an unnecessary waste of everyone's time. However, a gun shouldn't be dismissed out of hand because of what someone "heard".

To the OP, good luck in your search. It seems you are pretty far from NNJ, however if you make it up this way and want to shoot my gun, shoot me a PM and we will set it up.

Hijack over.

C

I have shot a number of Kimbers and none have fallen apart in my hands or failed to put rounds down range.

Think of this as buying a new washing machine instead of a firearm purchase. Would you look at Consumer Reports to see which makes and models have a poor track record and which ones have a good one? If you bought a Kenmore and someone said your model was known to have issues, would you get your Irish up? People tend to take criticisms of their firearms and car brands to heart. It's a guy thing I guess.

I do a lot of reading before i purchase a gun, and I am not so stubborn or proud proud as to ignore the advice of people who know more than me, even if it means skipping a brand/model I was initially interested in. One person's success with a gun does not prove the success of the product line any more than one person's bad luck with a gun. I don't feel as though I have to get the trendy or most expensive pick either to meet soneone else's idea of a cool gun. I look for the best combination of quality and value in my price range. Second generation Kimbers do not have a very good reputation among those who know 1911's well. I don't have any innate dislike of the brand. I just don't think its build quality justifies its price, and so it fails my criteria. If they were less expensive and fell into the price range I was looking for, then they would pass.

• Like 1