nino

Clifton permits waiting time

So I handed in everything today for three permit. My detective said it will be one month usually it is. So let my countdown begin. I heard from several ppl that live in Clifton takes a while but I never had trouble so we shall see

i get it anywhere between 30 and 38 days from the time I drop it off. However, the last time it took 2 1/2 months. I figured the 2 folks working on permits were out for the holidays. Spoke with a detective friend and he said Det. Cusack doesn't do the permits full time (only 25% of his time), and his help Cassie has other duties as well (only spends 50% of her time on permits). They are short staffed like most departments and are not hiring.

I also live in Clifton, and go through the Clifton PD.

My FID took 89 days. After my FID, PPP's took about 60 days.

Clifton is not a "nightmare" to deal with, but they feel absolutely no responsibility to complete the process within 30 days. If you show up and ask for a status update before 60 days has elapsed, they'll tell you that you've shown up "too early" to ask for an update.

I also live in Clifton, and go through the Clifton PD.

My FID took 89 days. After my FID, PPP's took about 60 days.

Clifton is not a "nightmare" to deal with, but they feel absolutely no responsibility to complete the process within 30 days. If you show up and ask for a status update before 60 days has elapsed, they'll tell you that you've shown up "too early" to ask for an update.

Isn't there a law or statute that says the process must be completed in no more then 30 days?

Isn't there a law or statute that says the process must be completed in no more then 30 days?

Yes, but you didn't see the asterisk and the fine print? :D

* Exclusions apply. This portion not applicable if the government has some sad excuse. Void where we don't wanna follow our own rules.

I thoroughly believe that this issue is absolutely ripe for revisiting, though. Give it some time.

My buddy already dropped off his stuff in Clifton and now he's starting month #2. And I don't recall... he said that someone told him or he read somewhere that he really shouldn't bother asking about the status unless it's 3 months or more. Good luck! Spend the time researching and buying all the other stuff you might need.

Yes, but you didn't see the asterisk and the fine print? :D

* Exclusions apply. This portion not applicable if the government has some sad excuse. Void where we don't wanna follow our own rules.

I thoroughly believe that this issue is absolutely ripe for revisiting, though. Give it some time.

I must've missed that part. lol

But seriously, there's numerous Clifton residents in this thread, why not send a letter to the NJ2AS, and see if they can do anything to help.

I must've missed that part. lol But seriously, there's numerous Clifton residents in this thread, why not send a letter to the NJ2AS, and see if they can do anything to help.

The NJ2AS is well aware of our plight; both in Clifton and many, many other localities. They are currently investigating a state-wide solution. :D

The NJ2AS is well aware of our plight; both in Clifton and many, many other localities. They are currently investigating a state-wide solution. :D

This is the way it has to be. You cannot expect a local CLEO to issue if the requred documents are not in. And I doubt you will ever see anything in operations instructions to the effect that checks not received within X days are to be presumed to have no negative information.

Just about every place is short of personnel and funding, and it affects everybody. Most likely you will see the 30 day rule apply AFTER everything has been received by the issuing authority to prevent things from being sat on or to prevent local councilpeople from attempting to mandate that NO permits be issued (as happened in the 60's).

This is the way it has to be. You cannot expect a local CLEO to issue if the requred documents are not in. And I doubt you will ever see anything in operations instructions to the effect that checks not received within X days are to be presumed to have no negative information.

Just about every place is short of personnel and funding, and it affects everybody. Most likely you will see the 30 day rule apply AFTER everything has been received by the issuing authority to prevent things from being sat on or to prevent local councilpeople from attempting to mandate that NO permits be issued (as happened in the 60's).

That's a pretty generous reading of the statute....generous to the state, that is. But, then again, the current case law is about as generous to the state as one can possibly get. So, even if we got a judge to agree with your idea, that might be considered a victory.

I just don't get how much wiggle room can be made from the very clear (to me, anyway) words of:

][the licensing authority] shall grant the permit or the identification card, or both, if application has been made therefor, within 30 days from the date of receipt of the application[/size]

Either way, the NJ2AS probably has a rabbit or two in their hat to pull on towns like Clifton.

I got my permits today and picked up my handgun I already bought. Reason why it's taking so long bc Passaic n Bergen county doesn't want ppl with guns n there the ones that check our mental health records Cassie said

Congrats on your permits and your new acquisition. The only thing missing from your story is the pics of the new rig.

I applied for my FPID and first set of PPPs in Clifton a few years back. It took 4.5 months. I made many inquiries to the Clifton PD, NJSP FIU, and AG's office, only to get the run-around. Fed up, I had an attorney send the CLEO a polite letter.

Miraculously they called to tell me my paperwork was ready within 24 hours of the CLEO receiving the letter. Imagine that.

As an aside, I considered myself politically middle of the road up until I tried to exercise my rights and got stonewalled. I was completely ignorant of the state of affairs NJ has gotten itself into. This experience opened my eyes, it was my red pill, and I'm working on a plan to leave this God forsaken state for good.