ITman

Ruger Mini 14 Tactical NJ Legal?

I'm thinking about getting a Ruger Mini 14 Tactical and from reading through all the posts I've gathered that the Ruger Mini 14's that do not have folding stocks and have 5 round magazines are NJ legal. Would this include the tactical models with the flash suppressor and 16 inch barrel?

Mine ( Ranch model , wood stock ) has the flash hider , but no other evil features. The folding stock version is banned by name.

I have 5 round Ruger mags for it that work great , and 10 round aftermarkets that don't. I was told to stick to Ruger mags for them as they can be finicky . I'm ordering some 10 round ruger mags ..hope they work better than the after markets , which do not feed all the time.

I really like the gun . The sights are kind of vague , I'll most likely get a scope for it , but I want to learn to shoot well with the sights before getting a scope.

I have the Ranch model with composite, the ruger factory 10 round mags work great, too bad they don't make 15s. The barrel length may be a problem I thought I read somewhere that in NJ it needs to be at least 18 inches. You may be best getting aftermarket parts rather than try to get the tactical itself, there are plenty of options available that could give you that custom fit, like extra rails or better sights. One of these days I'll put a scope on mine but for now the flip up sights suck, I just can't get them to work for me. I would rather a basic open sight. I don't know if all Mini 14 do this but mine sure does throw the brass across the range, like a good 15 feet!

Mine ( Ranch model , wood stock ) has the flash hider , but no other evil features. The folding stock version is banned by name.

I have 5 round Ruger mags for it that work great , and 10 round aftermarkets that don't. I was told to stick to Ruger mags for them as they can be finicky . I'm ordering some 10 round ruger mags ..hope they work better than the after markets , which do not feed all the time.

I really like the gun . The sights are kind of vague , I'll most likely get a scope for it , but I want to learn to shoot well with the sights before getting a scope.

Thanks, I didn't know that Ruger made 10 round mags for the Mini 14. I saw the pictures that you posted of your Mini 14, it is a beautiful rifle!

I have the Ranch model with composite, the ruger factory 10 round mags work great, too bad they don't make 15s. The barrel length may be a problem I thought I read somewhere that in NJ it needs to be at least 18 inches. You may be best getting aftermarket parts rather than try to get the tactical itself, there are plenty of options available that could give you that custom fit, like extra rails or better sights. One of these days I'll put a scope on mine but for now the flip up sights suck, I just can't get them to work for me. I would rather a basic open sight. I don't know if all Mini 14 do this but mine sure does throw the brass across the range, like a good 15 feet!

That's for shotguns, and that's a federal requirement. 16" for rifles, 18" for shotguns. Then there are overall length requirements too.

I checked the barrel length laws in the past when I picked up a Mossberg 464 Brush Gun (16.5" barrel), the barrel needs to be at least 16" from breech to muzzle. I was wondering about the Mini 14 since the barrel length is 16.12" but that includes the flash suppressor. Most likely I'd be best off getting the ranch rifle just to safe and look at aftermarket parts as you suggest.

I was wondering about the Mini 14 since the barrel length is 16.12" but that includes the flash suppressor.

As long as the flash suppressor is permanently attached, that is perfectly legal. I don't recall Ruger ever selling an SBR version of the Mini.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

As long as the flash suppressor is permanently attached, that is perfectly legal. I don't recall Ruger ever selling an SBR version of the Mini.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

IIRC the ACR-556 (MG) had a 14.5" bbl

I have a couple 15 round mini 14 mags that I bought in the early 90's. They don't have any markings on them, so I think they are aftermarket. As I recall they functioned fine, although it's been quite a while since I have shot it.