sarahfurlong

I Am A Casting Producer Looking For Families in NJ

Prior to me entering the world of semi-retirement in 2010:

- medical.

- dental.

- bonus program.

- 401k with match.

- employee discount as participating stores.

- 5 weeks vacation.

- 2 weeks sick.

- partial re-reimbursement of educational expense related to job.

- mon thru fri work week, but occasion nights and weekends.

- on call, but not bothered much.

I'm sure there's more, but that's off the top of my head. You lost any credibility with me with your "job security" statement.

Have a good day.

I think he was chalking those things up to "things we should thank unions for fighting to give us all". Which in some instances is true. I just think healthcare should be like car insurance and keep employers out of it entirely. I understand it's done as part of the employment "benefits", but it's best if we just took the employer out of the customer-health insurer relationship nation wide.

Prior to me entering the world of semi-retirement in 2010:

- medical.

- dental.

- bonus program.

- 401k with match.

- employee discount as participating stores.

- 5 weeks vacation.

- 2 weeks sick.

- partial re-reimbursement of educational expense related to job.

- mon thru fri work week, but occasion nights and weekends.

- on call, but not bothered much.

I'm sure there's more, but that's off the top of my head. You lost any credibility with me with your "job security" statement.

Have a good day.

I missed the part were they pay in full for your kids to go to any college they choose.

Don't get me wrong. The union was absolutely required and was a blessing back in the days of inception. The union fought and won many battles that we all benefit from today. That being said, they are 30-years or so past their usefulness, in my opinion. I was accused of mentioning GM, so let me throw in a GM example now. There's no way in hell that the guy on the lines who's sole job is to put 2-door panel bolts on, should get paid some ridiculous rate. There's no skill involved in that, so the pay should reflect that. Getting $25+ an hour to do that is just wrong. Not being able to fire or having to pay "Jethro" who is 25% slower than everyone else, just because he's union is not right either. How can you not see that?

• Like 6

Don't get me wrong. The union was absolutely required and was a blessing back in the days of inception. The union fought and won many battles that we all benefit from today. That being said, they are 30-years or so past their usefulness, in my opinion. I was accused of mentioning GM, so let me throw in a GM example now. There's no way in hell that the guy on the lines who's sole job is to put 2-door panel bolts on, should get paid some ridiculous rate. There's no skill involved in that, so the pay should reflect that. Getting $25+ an hour to do that is just wrong. Not being able to fire or having to pay "Jethro" who is 25% slower than everyone else, just because he's union is not right either. How can you not see that?

Your are right. It had nothing to do with managment, or middle managment, or upper managment, or the CEO's $10Mil salary. It was because Joe Smith earned a decent living and retirement.

• Like 1

I think he was chalking those things up to "things we should thank unions for fighting to give us all". Which in some instances is true. I just think healthcare should be like car insurance and keep employers out of it entirely. I understand it's done as part of the employment "benefits", but it's best if we just took the employer out of the customer-health insurer relationship nation wide.

Well, thats what you have Obamacare for.

I missed the part were they pay in full for your kids to go to any college they choose.

Add the cost of your dues over a 30-40 year career.

Add the cost of your time out of work because some "organization" told you that you had to strike.

Add the fact that you knowingly are defenseless to act upon your own wishes at to whether or not you should work or not.

Add the fact that you knowingly are allowing someone to tell you what your opinion is and should be.

Add the fact that you knowingly are allowing an outside force to take away your voice.

OK, cool. They pay for your kids college if your able to stay there long enough to take advantage of it. You think you're not paying for that elsewhere? We could go round and round on this all day. I'd rather not.

Let's just agree to disagree on this subject.

Without jumping completely into the union pro vs con, I add the fact that both sides have pushed the positive and negative aspects of being unionized. While I dont think its fair that a non-productive employee cannot be removed without threat of labor lawsuits, there are a lot of businesses that would hamstring their employees without the protection of a collective bargaining group.

There are still uses for unions, but with the positives also come the negatives as will all things (except cake, everything about cake is positive)

• Like 2

I think Unions have a place and actually were more vital in years past than today. Not to say they are still not useful, or a benefit to workers, but some have just become a cash cow at the workers and companies expense.

Not saying they are all bad or we should do away will all unions, but there are many that are not as productive to all as they once were.

• Like 1

Your are right. It had nothing to do with managment, or middle managment, or upper managment, or the CEO's $10Mil salary. It was because Joe Smith earned a decent living and retirement.

You're right there to try to put words in someone's mouth, aren't you? Of course those are other factors. It all contributes to what we have today. There's no one thing or cause of it. I'm strictly speaking of the union's contribution to a f*cked-up state of affairs.

You're right there to try to put words in someone's mouth, aren't you? Of course those are other factors. It all contributes to what we have today. There's no one thing or cause of it. I'm strictly speaking of the union's contribution to a f*cked-up state of affairs.

I wont put words in your mouth, so I ask to clarify our "state of affairs".Do you mean NJs current fiscal state? Perhaps the economy as a whole? Could you please elaborate.

Add the cost of your dues over a 30-40 year career.

Add the cost of your time out of work because some "organization" told you that you had to strike.

Add the fact that you knowingly are defenseless to act upon your own wishes at to whether or not you should work or not.

Add the fact that you knowingly are allowing someone to tell you what your opinion is and should be.

Add the fact that you knowingly are allowing an outside force to take away your voice.

OK, cool. They pay for your kids college if your able to stay there long enough to take advantage of it. You think you're not paying for that elsewhere? We could go round and round on this all day. I'd rather not.

Let's just agree to disagree on this subject.

I will be for sure able to retire at 60. I will not need to be semi-retired, or take up a second job, or rely on social security.

BTW, my union dues are 3%. 3 kids x 4yrs college = $300-500K. My medical and dental benefits are worth $50-75K.

Seriously Diamond. If you're happy with your situation, good for you, really. I thank you for being a member of the workforce, rather than some of these idiots who've never worked a day in their lives and feel they are owed everything. There's nothing that pisses me off more than seeing my taxes go to someone that doens't deserve it. That 80-year old guy/gal that busted their *ss for 40+ years who is now figuring out how much hot water to add to the the ketchup bottle...................... give them some of my tax dollars.

Really?? Jesus. That's a lot of money to put up for someone, especially these days. I'd like to see how any union stays solvent doing that... unless they bank on kids of union workers never going to college...

That was part of it. The biggest issue was foreign competition and the shit quality of American cars compared to overseas manufacturers. Whether that was due to engineering and design, or the assemblyman, well... that's up to you.

Oh, don't forget "Legacy Benefits" for retired union members. They tended to outlive their expiration dates and strained those fancy pension systems to death.

Don't hate the union worker. Remember, collective bargaining which is the process where the two side agree to a contract involves the employer and union. Weather it be a federal, city, state, or private business, BOTH sides have to agree to the contract. Dues and pension contributions are what give the union ability to grant loans, give scholarships, etc.

I have worked on both sides of the fence. There are pros and cons on both sides.

Don't hate the union worker. Remember, collective bargaining which is the process where the two side agree to a contract involves the employer and union. Weather it be a federal, city, state, or private business, BOTH sides have to agree to the contract. Dues and pension contributions are what give the union ability to grant loans, give scholarships, etc.

I have worked on both sides of the fence. There are pros and cons on both sides.

I really don't mind unions if the following criteria were met:

- You do not have to join a union to work someplace. Earlier in my life I worked at Rite Aid for a summer job (3 months). They forced me to join the union and pay my dues and fees, so I lost 50% of my first two paychecks. I don't know why I needed to do that, but oh wells.

- You must pay dues to union directly. I don't understand why the union gets to have the company/government fork over money for them, they should appeal to the members themselves and get paid that way

- Opt-out from Collective Bargaining. If you can sue for better terms than the union, then you should be allowed to go for it.

If you really need to know, I hold an engineering degree from NJIT.

As do I - but I can spell. So, great, we can compare notes about near stabbings and muggings on a daily basis while we were navigating the armpit of NJ (analogy works as Camden is the a-hole) while completely unarmed...

What bothers me is you graduated college and can't figure out that your union is stealing money from you and your kids to elect democrats and others who have no regard for your existence, however you can navigate a differential equation.

Lets See:

Prevailing wage (non union contractors i know get prevailing wages at most jobs)

Excellent pension

401k (non union companies have 401ks and pay up to 5% what you put in)

Excellent medical benifits for my family (i have great medical benefits and pay 37.50 for myself)

Safe working enviroment (with osha around and responsible business owners all working environments should be safe if not dont work in an unsafe area)

Scholarship Funds for my kids

Vacations (non union contractors pay up to 4 weeks vacation depending on years in... i have 2 years and i get 2 weeks a year)

11 paid holidays (non union have 7)

job security (i make my own job security doing fast safe quality work arriving early and staying late when needed)

weekends off (yes and 1.5 times pay on saturdays 2x pay on sundays)

overtime (yes)

What does your job do for you?

now dont get me wrong.. i dont disagree with unions or not like unions but you cant tell me they are way better... i am currently non union until i get my government job and i know 2 union people who havent had work in 2 years.... my one buddy is an electrican and very fast and knowledgeable and hasnt worked steady in 5 years.... he'll go on a job work 5 weeks and back to unemployment.... and its constant like that.... THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THERE IS NO MORE INDUSTRY IN THIS COUNTRY... once we start making things here we will be spiraling downhill.. union or non-union

As do I - but I can spell.

Well then you are better than me in every way and every asspect of life.

What bothers me is you graduated college and can't figure out that your union is stealing money from you and your kids to elect democrats and others who have no regard for your existence, however you can navigate a differential equation.

Well from one college grad to another, you have no idea what you are talking about.

I would go on this show if it were based in Seaside heights, and when I'm not prepping I get to make myself look like a complete toolbag. And embarass myself and my family with my idiocracy.

I really don't mind unions if the following criteria were met:

- You do not have to join a union to work someplace. Earlier in my life I worked at Rite Aid for a summer job (3 months). They forced me to join the union and pay my dues and fees, so I lost 50% of my first two paychecks. I don't know why I needed to do that, but oh wells.

- You must pay dues to union directly. I don't understand why the union gets to have the company/government fork over money for them, they should appeal to the members themselves and get paid that way

- Opt-out from Collective Bargaining. If you can sue for better terms than the union, then you should be allowed to go for it.

You can always opt out of jointing the union however you still have to pay dues. I do not agree with this.

In my opinion, if you are working a full time job that has a union affiliation, I would suggest joining, especially if your a LEO or FF. In the event you get jammed up on the job, the union can help you with representation that could bankrupt you otherwise. Sometimes people make honest mistakes on the job and if your not on the "golden child list" or someone knows you getting fired could mean a job for their cousin, sister, brother, etc., union protection may be all that saves your a$$.

Some states have laws on the books which say you can't force someone to join a union or pay dues if they do not join. I am not versed in all aspects of NJ labor law so I can't tell you what we have on the books. I will say being there is a HUGE union presence in NJ, we will probably never see any laws that remove power from the unions like that. I believe in free choice but I also believe that most unions are decent and represent their members as they should.

This thread is a prime example of why this forum has lost so many of the original great, insightful people who helped make it what it was. Nothing stays on topic anymore and everyone wants to make every post about supporting their personal ideals and agenda. There is no respect for anyone's opinion other than your own!

This is a gun forum, dammit, there are thousands of forums out there where you guys can have these pissing matches! Can't we have just one place to go to discuss matters relevant to the mantra of the forum? GUNS!

I miss so may of the rational and level headed people. They don't hang out here anymore because of the behavior or so many of you. Now a days for every genuine gun related post, there are two or three that become a soap box.

You guys have to stop bashing everyone that has an opinion does not agree with yours. Take your thumbs out of your mouths, put on your big boy pants and take it outside!

• Like 3