Sorry to revive this thread, but I'm not sure it was ever fully explained. I have an air rifle that I bought in New York state last summer. I want to bring it into New Jersey but I don't know the process. If I buy a long rifle in another state, I need to go through an FFL in New Jersey. Why would that not be the case for an air rifle as well?

You don't have to go through a NJ FFL if you are purchasing in person! You can buy a long gun in another state from a person or an FFL in that state. F2F must go through an FFL in that state or be shipped to an FFL in NJ so a NICS can be run.

You have no problems with the air rifle you purchased in NY as long as you transport it in NJ in accordance with NJ laws.

Handguns (BB, BP or Modern) must go through a NJ FFL...

You don't have to go through a NJ FFL if you are purchasing in person! You can buy a long gun in another state from a person or an FFL in that state. F2F must go through an FFL in that state or be shipped to an FFL in NJ so a NICS can be run.

You have no problems with the air rifle you purchased in NY as long as you transport it in NJ in accordance with NJ laws.

Air guns and black powder are not "firearms" under the GCA, therefore the federal requirement to follow both states laws when purchasing firearms out of state does not apply.

You can buy a air rifle or pistol at Walmart once you leave nj...

If you think the BB gun law is silly listen to this. I am a ham radio operator and they sell sling shot like devices to shoot your wire antenna over tall trees. They are illegal also so I ended up giving some tree trimmers 50 bucks to run my wire antennas about 50 feet into my trees. Would have been much cheaper to buy the sling shot but they would not ship it to NJ.

and yet again, we have spirit of the law versus letter of the law. NJ has such nonsensical catch alls for crap like this it's ridiculous. No one can legitimately justify the logic.

Yes.

I know-which is why I'm now royally pissed I bought my house only 2 miles from the Delaware, but on the Nanny Jersey side. Royally pissed. If we wouldn't take such a hit on the place that we only bought 5 years ago-I'd put it up for sale tomorrow. Problem is I love the house, and we've got acreage. But this crap is not worth it. As soon as possible we are leaving.

And I really wish NJ asked for "exit interviews" when people leave the state, because I wouldn't be why about sharing my reasons.

Still researching, but I'm probably going to buy another rifle anyway to be on the safe side-considering that we're talking about starting up a pellet rifle league with the kids at the hunting club down the road from my house.

I don't need the hassle.

IDIOTS. This place is a "net negative" to be a resident.

OK. Lets take this one step further...

I have a NJ FID. If I go to Dick's, buy the trusty ol' peace keeper, yes, THE Red Rider BB Gun and bring it home... Can I be like Ralphie and take it into my backyard and plink around with it??? I promise, I won't shoot my eye out, but am I heading to the joint for a couple of years where I'll get something else shot in my eye for doing so??? What about Air-Soft??? Same deal???

OK. Lets take this one step further...

I have a NJ FID. If I go to Dick's, buy the trusty ol' peace keeper, yes, THE Red Rider BB Gun and bring it home... Can I be like Ralphie and take it into my backyard and plink around with it??? I promise, I won't shoot my eye out, but am I heading to the joint for a couple of years where I'll get something else shot in my eye for doing so??? What about Air-Soft??? Same deal???

Check local regs for "No discharge" rules before you do.

NO, that's incorrect, you can legally buy antiques, air and BP pistols without a PPP, in other states (as long as that state doesn't regulate them) and bring them back to NJ. Modern handguns (made in 1899 or newer) must go through a NJ FFL.

I've seen BB pistols in various Walmarts down south that don't you don't load with magazines. Rather, you load through the side of the pistol and the BB's are stored inside the slide. If it could hold more than 15 BB's, would that be considered illegal in NJ? Or is that fine as it doens't have a detachable magazine?

I've seen BB pistols in various Walmarts down south that don't you don't load with magazines. Rather, you load through the side of the pistol and the BB's are stored inside the slide. If it could hold more than 15 BB's, would that be considered illegal in NJ? Or is that fine as it doens't have a detachable magazine?

The courts ruled a long time ago that the nj awb is only applicable to real firearms, not BB guns. I'll fund the case when I get home.

So, if it is the last day of your renewed permits in NJ and you you have some extra permit pending and you want to purchase a BB/Pellet gun pistol, you can just go to a NJ vendor and purchase one. Since there is no NICS for it, you would not have to wait the 2-5 weeks for the instant check, right? You could walk out the door with it as long as you completed the pistol permit, and then as long as you followed NJ transport laws. Is that right?

And, is a BB/Pellet handgun figured in to OGAM as well? If purchased, and since there is no NICS, would a 30 plus waiting period still be applicable? I'm OK with burning a permit to buy one, but I don't want to pass up the chance of having a permit and an open availability if a real handgun that I want becomes available if I would have to wait the calendar time to get something else.

And, if I go out to Cabelas, I can purchase either a BB/Pellet long gun rifle and/or handgun with no problem, correct? And, as long as I follow NJs transport rules, etc. when returning, all will be legal?

As an additional question, I presume it would be illegal to transport a tube-fed BB gun with BBs still in it, right?

So, if it is the last day of your renewed permits in NJ and you you have some extra permit pending and you want to purchase a BB/Pellet gun pistol, you can just go to a NJ vendor and purchase one. Since there is no NICS for it, you would not have to wait the 2-5 weeks for the instant check, right? You could walk out the door with it as long as you completed the pistol permit, and then as long as you followed NJ transport laws. Is that right? Yes, if the dealer you choose if OK with not NICSing it out.

And, is a BB/Pellet handgun figured in to OGAM as well? Yes If purchased, and since there is no NICS, would a 30 plus waiting period still be applicable? Yes I'm OK with burning a permit to buy one, but I don't want to pass up the chance of having a permit and an open availability if a real handgun that I want becomes available if I would have to wait the calendar time to get something else. Why not just buy a real HG FTF?

And, if I go out to Cabelas, I can purchase either a BB/Pellet long gun rifle and/or handgun with no problem, correct? Yes And, as long as I follow NJs transport rules, etc. when returning, all will be legal? Yes

As an additional question, I presume it would be illegal to transport a tube-fed BB gun with BBs still in it, right? Yes

here is one...

if a BB gun is a firearm in NJ... do semi auto ones have to comply with AWB.. and if your answer is NO.. tell me why..

No.....and maybe yes, there is a court ruling on that. NJ was enjoined from enforcing the AWB against air guns, but from what I remember there were still some features that were not necessarily mentioned in the ruling and could still be illegal.

I don't have time to find and post the link right now, but I have posted it before.

Will I be able to discern any truth or accuracy here by the time page 47 rolls around?? Yes, LOL.

Glad to see there is a 'ham' shooter out there. You gotta have weapons AND communications and other stuff. Sadly did not continue my license.

And, if I go out to Cabelas, I can purchase either a BB/Pellet long gun rifle and/or handgun with no problem, correct?   And, as long as I follow NJs transport rules, etc. when returning, all will be legal?

I know this is not the first time I have brought this up but it bears repeating. Many airguns you find outside of jersey have silencers on them. Real silencers. Particularly some of the popular models they like to keep out at Cabelas. They are not considered Title II by the ATF because they are permanently attached to an airgun (therefore cannot be used on a firearm). But they are highly illegal in NJ. So double-check what you are buying.

I will tell you from terrible personal exp that you can be charged with UPW for 10-pump Crossman bb/.177 pellet rifle. Graves Act

offense 3yr minimum. Point Pleasant Beach, NJ, 1990. Arrested on private property (not my own). YMMV but I would not risk it, and ignorance of law was no defense.

Re: Gamo Whisper - I know an FFL who had one on his rack when he was audited by the NJSP. He was told that it was illegal to sell in NJ. He had to ship it back - Gamo wasn't too pleased about that.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I will tell you from terrible personal exp that you can be charged with UPW for 10-pump Crossman bb/.177 pellet rifle. Graves Act

offense 3yr minimum. Point Pleasant Beach, NJ, 1990. Arrested on private property (not my own). YMMV but I would not risk it, and ignorance of law was no defense.

What's UPW, and why was the gun illegal?

illegal because no fid. "but it's a bb gun!" "not in NJ. put yr hands behind your back and STFU". Good times.

Sounds like because not on residence property was the cause for arrest-because possession is exempted for residence, range, or hunting-and direct transport to/from. Place of business possession is generally narrowly accepted to only be for business owners. LE decided to pursue BS charges.

And yes, every Gamo Whisper is illegal in NJ. Even though they are not one damn bit quieter than any other pellet rifle.

It's all about the looks of the thing...

True. And the fact that the box says "quieter" on it. I actually wound up returning one I had bought because I didn't want to take the chance. But I shot one side by side with a Benjamin, and it was not one but quieter. Marketing ploy-but tell that to Joe Cryan.

The courts ruled a long time ago that the nj awb is only applicable to real firearms, not BB guns. I'll fund the case when I get home.

here is one...

if a BB gun is a firearm in NJ... do semi auto ones have to comply with AWB.. and if your answer is NO.. tell me why..

No.....and maybe yes, there is a court ruling on that. NJ was enjoined from enforcing the AWB against air guns, but from what I remember there were still some features that were not necessarily mentioned in the ruling and could still be illegal.

I don't have time to find and post the link right now, but I have posted it before.

The AWB does not apply to BB guns. Check out the court decision highlighted in this thread:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/30222-watch-out-airsoft-owners/page__st__30__p__397822#entry397822

ok on the awb i went to ohio for my aunt funeral....my little cousins i wanted to get their minds off of stuff so i took them to walmart and bought this(with my uncles permision of course)it is an mp5 clone bb gun sbr with folding stock holds like 40 bbs runs on c02 semi auto. do you guys thing this will fly here? i left it there for them to play with. They have a beautiful property probably 25 acres with a pond and a giant farm behind them with corn. but i set up a shooting course and we were running strings like 3 gun matches. ill tell you we had a blast all afternoon i could believe how much fun it was with just a bb gun. i would love to get one for myself next time im out there.

http://www.airgundepot.com/hk-mp5-k-pdw-bb-gun.html