doesnt look like anyone asked, but is the OP referring to a BB gun pistol or rifle? My understanding is if it is a rifle you are ok as long as you are not prohibited, a pistol would be a no-go b/c you need a PP for it. Correct?

doesnt look like anyone asked, but is the OP referring to a BB gun pistol or rifle? My understanding is if it is a rifle you are ok as long as you are not prohibited, a pistol would be a no-go b/c you need a PP for it. Correct?

Any firearm purchased legally in a different state and is also NJ legal, is legal to own without any restriction or registration required.

Since a BB Handgun is legally acquired in a different state, it would be legal to own in NJ. This is not to say the legal system can't make your life hell if a prosecutor chooses, but I don't think they can get you on illegal possession.

BB Handgun and BB rifles are not firearms by Federal standards, they are not firearms in PA or most other states. NJ considers them firearms, even though federally they are not. Since a BB gun (rifle or handgun) is not a firearm, it is not subject to the 1968 Gun Control Act. So there are no interstate restrictions on either BB handguns or BB rifles.

One may purchase a BB gun in PA legally. Once you cross into NJ, it is considered by the state of NJ a firearm (and yet it is still not a firearm by Federal Standards even though NJ may say otherwise.). You did not break Federal Law by buying a BB gun in PA and bringing into NJ.

There is no requirement to register guns in NJ if bought in from another state. If you BUY a BB gun rifle in NJ you need a FID, if you buy a BB handgun in New Jersey you need a permit to purchase a handgun (even though the feds do not classify it as a firearm). The same goes for Black Powder.

Ok, not to hijack this thread, but if you buy a bb/pellet rifle in NJ do you pay for a NICS check?

The dealer shouldn't run air guns or BP through the NICS system, but I have heard of some doing it anyway. A COE or PPP is still required though.......

I bought a BP rifle about 10 years ago on a Sunday from a dealer because a NICS check is not required.

I bought a BP rifle about 10 years ago on a Sunday from a dealer because a NICS check is not required.

Unless the BP gun is a Thompson Center Encore that you can change the barrel/caliber on. That one requires a call to NICS.

OK, so ironically the info is listed in the sticky thread just above this topic in this forum, but looks to me like both [ellet long gun and pellet pistols (BB's are .177 pellets, no?) are legal for a NJ resident to buy out of state with out a p2p.

3. Blackpowder and pellet handgun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = only a P2P and Photo ID required

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a P2P with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = no requirement

........(4) Out-of-state resident = no requirement

4. Blackpowder and pellet long gun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = only a FPID, COE and Photo ID required

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested

I'm a noob to these forums, but I am certain that I read that in regard to a BB/Pellet handgun purchase, out of state to a NJ resident, there is no requirement for P2P.

Let me see if I can go search up the info.

the answer is simple..

in other states... a BB gun is NOT a firearm..

that is the answer..

OK, so ironically the info is listed in the sticky thread just above this topic in this forum, but looks to me like both [ellet long gun and pellet pistols (BB's are .177 pellets, no?) are legal for a NJ resident to buy out of state with out a p2p.

3. Blackpowder and pellet handgun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = only a P2P and Photo ID required

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a P2P with Photo ID suggested

4. Blackpowder and pellet long gun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = only a FPID, COE and Photo ID required

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested

So I can get that Colt's Dragoon I was drooling over while at Cabela's. (I think it was Uberti, actually.)

So I can get that Colt's Dragoon I was drooling over while at Cabela's. (I think it was Uberti, actually.)

Black powder guns*, both pistols and rifles are not subject to the 1968 Gun Control Act, and are not subject to interstate restrictions like regular firearms are and federal law does not require background checks.

Another state may have a different interpretation of federal law, and therefore may have restrictions on purchase of black powder firearms. But because a state may have restrictions on the purchase of BP firearms, and it may interpret BP as a regular firearm. It is not a firearm by federal standards.

(*Unless a black powder gun can readily be converted and those go through a FFL).

Or go over to Dixon Muzzleloading Shop in Kempton PA, which is on Rt. 737 (Exit 40 on Rt. 78). Talk with Chuck or his son Gregg. Pistol case is just through the front door on the right. Don't forget the percussion caps, .454 round balls, pistol wonder-wads (for lube), and at least a pound of Goex Black Powder. And if you want to make cleaning-up real easy, buy a bottle of Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine!

Uberti and Pietta make reproduction revolvers in multiple calibers from .31 to .44 and they all take over-sized round lead balls.

If you're serious about getting involved in Black Powder, give me a PM and we'll get together to make some smoke before you buy anything!

Dave

Or go over to Dixon Muzzleloading Shop in Kempton PA, which is on Rt. 737 (Exit 40 on Rt. 78). Talk with Chuck or his son Gregg. Pistol case is just through the front door on the right. Don't forget the percussion caps, .454 round balls, pistol wonder-wads (for lube), and at least a pound of Goex Black Powder. And if you want to make cleaning-up real easy, buy a bottle of Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine!

Uberti and Pietta make reproduction revolvers in multiple calibers from .31 to .44 and they all take over-sized round lead balls.

If you're serious about getting involved in Black Powder, give me a PM and we'll get together to make some smoke before you buy anything!

Dave

Thanks, I'll definately check out Dixon's

Old Bridge is hosting a Black Powder Day for Newbies to BP to get a better handle on all facets, including cleaning shortcuts! Date is 30 June. I'll be there as one of the Instructors. Let me know if you wish to attend.

Dave

Sorry to revive this thread, but I'm not sure it was ever fully explained. I have an air rifle that I bought in New York state last summer. I want to bring it into New Jersey but I don't know the process. If I buy a long rifle in another state, I need to go through an FFL in New Jersey. Why would that not be the case for an air rifle as well?

...Why would that not be the case for an air rifle as well?

With a firearm you have to follow both FEDERAL LAW (which says that the laws of both state of purchase and state of residency must be followed) and NJ STATE law.

With an air rifle/air pistol, only NJ considers it to be a firearm, the Feds do not, so you can buy it in another state where it is legal/unregulated and bring it into NJ without doing anything as long as it is legal to own in NJ.

Once in NJ you have to treat it as a firearm - restrictions on transportation, magazine/feeding tube capacity restrictions, AWB "evil features", no silencer, etc. etc.

Once in NJ you have to treat it as a firearm - restrictions on transportation, magazine/feeding tube capacity restrictions, AWB "evil features", no silencer, etc. etc.

Your point is dead on.. however I cant stop chuckling at the idea of a silencer for an airgun.

Years ago, I purchased a pellet pistol (.177 I think) from someone in Maryland and brought it home to NJ. This was probably 10 or so years ago. I never did any paperwork for it. It's still my possession. I don't have a bill of sale or reciept.

Am I legally allowed to have this? Also, would I still be able to sell it to someone in NJ, assuming they had a P2P, etc?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Once you're out of PRNJ a BB gun/air gun is treated exactly the same by the law as a jug of milk...

Classic. Stupidist state ever. I just picked up a Gamo .177 Whisper at Cabelas. No muss, no fuss.

No need for anything other than my cash. Which, by the way-means that the path of least resistance will be employed by anyone, and NJ loses any pellet gun business. Brilliant.

I can employ the same thought process to CCW: I'm 2 miles from the Delaware on the NJ side-if I went 3 miles the other way, I'm a free citizen. But being on this side of the river I'm not to be trusted.

I can't wait until the day comes I can leave this state.

Years ago, I purchased a pellet pistol (.177 I think) from someone in Maryland and brought it home to NJ. This was probably 10 or so years ago. I never did any paperwork for it. It's still my possession. I don't have a bill of sale or reciept.

Am I legally allowed to have this? Also, would I still be able to sell it to someone in NJ, assuming they had a P2P, etc?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Anyone?

I'm pretty sure a Gamo .177 Whisper is considered a silencer in NJ and will put you in jail for a long time. If you know different, just be sure.

So what your saying is I can buy a bb gun in PA and as long as I transport it locked in my trunk back to my house I'm good to go. The police do not ever have to be notified that I bought one? It would be pretty funny to have your FID yanked because of a stupid pellet gun!

The penalty for illegal possession of a firearm in NJ is not getting your FID revoked. It is jail time.

If ever questioned, for whatever reason during a search even at your home, do you need to be able to prove that you purchased it in PA or anywhere for that matter? What I'm trying to asked (sorry it's not coming out correctly) is that if you "lost" the receipt and was ever questioned about it in NJ (since you wouldn't have a P2P for it, since not purchased in NJ) would that be an issue/concern?

Yes. Firearm possession in NJ is illegal and the burden of proof is on you to prove you meet an exception. NJ only has to prove you had the firearm, not that you had it illegally.

That being said, it doesn't seem to be the normal routine in practice.

I'm pretty sure a Gamo .177 Whisper is considered a silencer in NJ and will put you in jail for a long time. If you know different, just be sure.

Its an imitation "noise suppressor"-and in all actuality, is no quieter than my friend's Benjamin. It also is fixed to the barrel, therefore cannot be moved to anything else-even though I know this stupid state considers pellet rifles "firearms".

My other friend also said he saw them for sale at Dick's in Princeton, so they'd have to be.

I'll check with my Dad's LE friends to be sure. But again-are we this stupid in NJ?

Its an imitation "noise suppressor"-and in all actuality, is no quieter than my friend's Benjamin.  It also is fixed to the barrel, therefore cannot be moved to anything else-even though I know this stupid state considers pellet rifles "firearms".

My other friend also said he saw them for sale at Dick's in Princeton, so they'd have to be.

I'll check with my Dad's LE friends to be sure.  But again-are we this stupid in NJ?

I don't know. There are BB guns/air guns with real silencers that are permanently attached, and as such, are exempted by the ATF (at the moment) for the purposes of federal law. not jersey law. If that BB gun has a real silencer, despite federal exemption, it is jail time in NJ. I brought this up here before and we had an FFL here on the board confirm it. I am not a lawyer and if you know better then good enough.

I don't know. There are BB guns/air guns with real silencers that are permanently attached, and as such, are exempted by the ATF (at the moment) for the purposes of federal law. not jersey law. If that BB gun has a real silencer, despite federal exemption, it is jail time in NJ. I brought this up here before and we had an FFL here on the board confirm it. I am not a lawyer and if you know better then good enough.

I concur, and this asinine state wouldn't surprise me.

I just called 2 Dick's (one in Princeton and East Brunswick) and both were out of stock. Told me "they go quick, but check back next week". They sell for between $180-239 depending on the model.

So I'd say with 99% certainty that if they're selling them here in NJ, they must be legal.

If you think the BB gun law is silly listen to this. I am a ham radio operator and they sell sling shot like devices to shoot your wire antenna over tall trees. They are illegal also so I ended up giving some tree trimmers 50 bucks to run my wire antennas about 50 feet into my trees. Would have been much cheaper to buy the sling shot but they would not ship it to NJ.