keithco88

Generator recommendations?

Thats very good question Joe. The answer I got was no. The line isn't large enough to run a generator and your home. I would have needed another line and a meter. Thats another service charge every month.

Oh wow, very interesting...I'll have to check into that as well.

Wouldn't you branch off your exisitng meter?

Side note...Didn't read through all the replies, so this might of been mentioned already...when you back feed the panel, it is IMPERATIVE that you throw your main breaker disconnecting you from commercial power. If the power co is working in your area to fix/restore power...you can electricute the worker(s) bigtme. Yes there are safety measures that they should carry out and usually do, but you turn on your gen and backfeed the panel after they check to see if the line(s) are dead, they can be seriously hurt. So just keep in mind first things first, throw the main breaker. I really like that device thats in that vid...it makes you throw the main before you can throw on your genny breaker.

Joe what you said in this post is very important. TURN OFF THE MAIN BREAKER. If not you are sending 220v electric back out to the line, when it hit the transformer it flows backwards and it will than boost it to high voltage and the person working on the line can be KILLED. Also if the main breaker is not off when the city power comes back on and your generator is still running BOOM. Thats why and automatic transfer switch or and interlock is the way to go.

Just fwiw, that's a rebranded Generac 10kw. Decent price.

As far as the Chinese parts go, I've not heard of any complaints with these units.

I went with a gas 8kW unit and am looking at a Generator Interlock for my panel which should be cheaper than a transfer switch. The generator's portability will let me move it to the Bug Out House where a similar connection is available.

Joe what you said in this post is very important. TURN OFF THE MAIN BREAKER. If not you are sending 220v electric back out to the line, when it hit the transformer it flows backwards and it will than boost it to high voltage and the person working on the line can be KILLED. Also if the main breaker is not off when the city power comes back on and your generator is still running BOOM. Thats why and automatic transfer switch or and interlock is the way to go.

Most codes require a transfer switch--or some sort of interlock--which will isolate the generator from the utility. Typically you will run the circuits you wish to back up--from your main box over to the TS and back. The TS has only two positions--one powers the backed-up circuits from the utility, the other from the generator. So there is no way to backfeed into the utility (assuming your house wiring is up to code as well).

I have been looking at the Generac 10KW and 14KW that come packaged with an automatic TS--when you lose power it will automatically fire up the generator and switch over. It also performs a weekly maintenance startup. And it runs on LP or NG. Also I have noticed on the specs that the output is about 10% lower when running on NG than LP. The 10KW is about $2800

http://www.generac.com/Residential/Guardian/Products/Guardian_Series_10_kW/

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/quick_search.php

Most codes require a transfer switch--or some sort of interlock--which will isolate the generator from the utility. Typically you will run the circuits you wish to back up--from your main box over to the TS and back. The TS has only two positions--one powers the backed-up circuits from the utility, the other from the generator. So there is no way to backfeed into the utility (assuming your house wiring is up to code as well).

Last September I bought a 6500/8500w Briggs Storm Protector (or something like that) generator and transfer switch....exactly like mentioned above. I've also been looking at the tri-fuel kits for it...run about $190. I have nat gas and would like to have that option available to me, especially the way gas prices are going. I try to keep 30 gl. on hand for all the power stuff...gen, mower, etc. Fortunately during the freak snow last October the gen worked fine for the 8 days we were down. I only ran it till 10 at night though....started about 10am. Noise is my big concern with the portables...shouldn't be as much of a problem with permanent install type. After my research my recommendation would be Kohler 1st if you could afford it, Genrad or GE depending on the deal and maintenance plan you can get with it. Suprisingly I didn't find too much info on the Briggs and Stratton permanent ones. Beore deciding I would look at those too.

Noise is my big concern with the portables...shouldn't be as much of a problem with permanent install type. After my research my recommendation would be Kohler 1st if you could afford it, Genrad or GE depending on the deal and maintenance plan you can get with it. Suprisingly I didn't find too much info on the Briggs and Stratton permanent ones. Beore deciding I would look at those too.

I know that the Generac and B&S (probably Kohler too) come with a housing, but I am not sure if it is just for weather or provides some sound insulation as well. I was thinking of building a doghouse around it--with some rigid, sound-insulating foam--to cut the noise and also to disguise it a bit and make it seem like I have a large dog.

I know that the Generac and B&S (probably Kohler too) come with a housing, but I am not sure if it is just for weather or provides some sound insulation as well. I was thinking of building a doghouse around it--with some rigid, sound-insulating foam--to cut the noise and also to disguise it a bit and make it seem like I have a large dog.

Not sure either on the actual intended purpose of the covers, but some shrubs or bushes around the unit (remember right next to the unit) but a block for noise can do a lot to lower the impact in your neighbors.

I'm sure some of us have the zombie apocalypse in mind when we start buying firearms...but I'm more worried about the storm that knocks out power for everyone for 3 weeks and I need to protect and provide for my family including small child.

To that end I've started researching generators and thought I'd get some recommendations from local folks who may have experience. Here's my thought process and what I'm looking for:

A) I'm mostly settled on a stationary unit over a portable because 1) I can't envision a scenario where I'd take up valuable space in my car (which is not big) to accommodate a generator over other supplies 2) because there has been a rash of burglaries recently and if push comes to shove I don't want to go to the hassle of buying a generator just to have somebody come and steal it in the middle of the night and 3) price point for what i'm looking for in portable to stationary is pretty similar, with some other added benefits to stationary units

B) I'm thinking something with a natural gas primary and a propane backup because there are RARELY natural gas outages of any significant duration and I always have 2 20lb propane tanks around for my grill anyway.

C) I'm targeting between 6 and 10kw to just power my house. i'm not running an air conditioner or laundry machines here...just keep the family warm and reasonably comfortable to ride out the situation

D) I'd love to spend less than $3,000

E) I'm 50/50 on an automatic vs manual switch over. I don't know if i'm willing to go over my price point to get automatic as the only scenario where I'd theoretically need it is if I'm out of the house and have no way to get back to turn it on...in which case I'd probably enlist the help of neighbors or family.

I've seen some Generac units that fall into this bucket, but at the same time read that the Generac units are chinese made crap that fall apart with a stiff wind. Googling "standby generator".

Any actual experience with given brands/models is appreciated, or any objective research you'd like to share would be awesome.

Thanks

Keith

I'm a Lineman for the power company, whatever generator you choose, Hire a qualified electrician!!!! when you have the equipment installed. I would advise the automatic flop over switch, too many lineman killed year in and year out across the country on backfeeds from customer owned generators.

• Like 2

Not for nothing but the interlock looks like a cheap way out. I am surprised it is even legal to code to install that goofy device on your exisiting panel. I do not like the idea if any possibility of a backfeed to the lines outside. The best and safest way is to use a transfer switch weather it would be manual or automatic in between a subpanel.

I'd like to re-start this thread a bit. I've about had it with my area and the fooking blackouts we have. PSE&G seems to fix problems but never permanently. Yesterday we were without power for almost 6 hours! Only part of our town was out. What really pist me off is that it's always the same part of town. Does PSE&G figure this is fun? Why isn't there a permanent solution? It's happened in the winter, summer, you name it and it's always the same areas. Fix it the first fooking time. OK, sorry for my rant, but I'm fed up.

SO -

I'm considering a 10KW Generac... Comes with everything minus the battery for about $3G... I'd like to go NG, but Propane I guess would be ok too.

I'm planning on powering the whole house and determined using calculators that I only need about 8500, but want a buffer. So 10KW seems ok unless someone tells me otherwise.

What I need to know, (from you electricians out there)... What's the average cost to run the electric, wire the box, etc... and any permits if need be... Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

I have a Honda. Got it last month as a gift. Have not had to use it yet. I did start it up and give myself an orientation of the controls. It looks like a very well thought out product. People "in the know" about generators largely agree that Honda is at the top of the quality list.

I agree.... But also top of the money list. Their stuff is big bux.

I have a Honda. Got it last month as a gift. Have not had to use it yet. I did start it up and give myself an orientation of the controls. It looks like a very well thought out product. People "in the know" about generators largely agree that Honda is at the top of the quality list.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Last month I bought a Northstar 10000W gasoline generator from Northern Tool. It has a Honda engine and unit is pretty well made. The 10k is actually the surge watts which are used for the start-up of motors, such as well pump motors, furnice motors, refrigerator motors, etc. The actual running watts is rated at 8000. This unit runs at a constant RPM, whether under load or not.

An equivalent generator from Honda would be almost double the cost ($5K) but the Honda is definitely a step up. One nice feature of the Honda is it runs at idle until a load is sensed, then the rpms increase accordingly. This makes for quieter running and less fuel consumption.

This is my second Northstar. The other one, slightly smaller, lasted for 12 years, when the gen head got real noisy indicating a problem which could seriously mess up my appliances and electronics.

I was able to order a replacement gen head from Northern Tool and will do the repair myself, so this old unit will become my back-up.

Interesting... Whichever one I decide to get, need to figure out where the moola comes from and how much. Not portable though. So need an average price of an install.

keep us updated after you speak w/ an electrician. This will be a project for my house as well, prob not right away (try to convince the wife the kitchen and backyard has to wait for a generator) but def at some point down the road...

Oh, I forgot to add the importance of calculating correctly for running watts and surge watts. It takes about 2X the wattage for a motor to start up as it does to run it. So make sure your generator can handle the surge, otherwise you will burn it out. When an appliance with a motor starts up, you can actually hear the generator engine struggle a little under the initial load, then even out. If two or more motors were to start at the same time, this may be too much.

Beings its only the 2 of us and. Dog, I'm prob over calculating. It's based on more than what I got but want to also consider it a selling point if I sell the house. They have a bigger family, they may need it. Even so, during a blackout, I would not be using a lot of stuff you normally would. I will calculate and recalculate several times before I decide on. Final size.

Ain't there any electricians here hat have some intel? Drop some notes guys/gals.... :)

For a professional install of a whole house permanent, with auto start-up you are looking at big bucks, easily upwards of 10 thousand dollars. For me and for something that will sit idle for 99% of the time, I could not justify it.

I had an electrician install the transfer switch and outlet for about $500. Generator was about $2500. I built a dolly for the gen, then I simply roll it outside, plug it in, flip some switches and I am good to go. It doesn't power the whole house, but I am happy with the furnace, well pump, a TV, couple of lights, refrig, microwave, and coffee maker.

All I really need is have an electrician make a connection. If I go nat gas, then a plumber... I dont estimate 10gs... 3-4g for the generator, txf switch and battery, the rest just hookups. I could prob do most of it myself. 500 sounds fair for the switch hookup.

For a professional install of a whole house permanent, with auto start-up you are looking at big bucks, easily upwards of 10 thousand dollars. For me and for something that will sit idle for 99% of the time, I could not justify it.

I had an electrician install the transfer switch and outlet for about $500. Generator was about $2500. I built a dolly for the gen, then I simply roll it outside, plug it in, flip some switches and I am good to go. It doesn't power the whole house, but I am happy with the furnace, well pump, a TV, couple of lights, refrig, microwave, and coffee maker.

She gets pissed off as much as we were yesterday, she'll gladly let you install one. ;)

keep us updated after you speak w/ an electrician. This will be a project for my house as well, prob not right away (try to convince the wife the kitchen and backyard has to wait for a generator) but def at some point down the road...

I had an electrician install the transfer switch and outlet for about $500.

If you don't mind who did this? I've been calling around trying to find someone to install a transfer switch and outlet and either get no call back or "I don't know what you are talking about"

That's just their way of saying they are too busy or don't want to be bothered with small jobs. Have any neighbors that can refer you? Nobody by me has generators... So nobody to ask.

If you don't mind who did this? I've been calling around trying to find someone to install a transfer switch and outlet and either get no call back or "I don't know what you are talking about"

Did ya get an estimate?

I've got my 14kw sitting on the pad waiting for the electrician and the gas. I'm quite looking forward to it. Not looking forward to completing the ditch to the propane tank but I'll get it done.

genset.jpg

So I started the thread but actually haven't completed this project yet. I got one quote that was ~$5000 total for this generator: http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Generac-Guardian-5870-Standby-Generator/p4763.html

Installation included

-automatic transfer switch for 10 circuits on my board

-concrete pad

-wires from generator to box (~30 ft)

-estimate on gas line I'd need to move (~25 ft)

I got the guy on referral from generac's website for their approved vendors. He said somethin about if you buy it yourself and then ask him to install it it voids some of the warranties. I haven't revisited because I'm waiting for the gas company to come out and inspect the lines to see if they can take the added load and possibly upgrade my meter. That's been in the wait for 3 weeks, but asking around they typically do that for free unless it ends up being a major upgrade. Will keep you guys posted.

Voids the warrantee? What a crock! Means he gets it cheaper and makes more off you.

So I started the thread but actually haven't completed this project yet. I got one quote that was ~$5000 total for this generator: http://www.electricg...ator/p4763.htmlInstallation included-automatic transfer switch for 10 circuits on my board-concrete pad-wires from generator to box (~30 ft)-estimate on gas line I'd need to move (~25 ft)I got the guy on referral from generac's website for their approved vendors. He said somethin about if you buy it yourself and then ask him to install it it voids some of the warranties. I haven't revisited because I'm waiting for the gas company to come out and inspect the lines to see if they can take the added load and possibly upgrade my meter. That's been in the wait for 3 weeks, but asking around they typically do that for free unless it ends up being a major upgrade. Will keep you guys posted.

Did ya get an estimate?

I'm installing new propane service as part of my renovation so the additional cost is only about 25 foot of pipe and a riser. The gas co said it wouldn't be that much(like $50 more or something). My electric is also getting completely redone as part of the renovation so I included it in the plan that went out for bid so I don't have it itemized. Mine is whole house, so the electrical panel that came bundled with the generator is easier to install because it's going in as the main disconnect. When I inquired prior to the renovation, the whole thing was going to run around $1500.00.

I poured my own pad. Two 2x6 lag bolted together and 6 bags of 5000lb concrete mix.

I bought my generator off Amazon. Free super saver shipping. It shipped by truck directly from Generac. I can't imagine they'd ship out stuff that voids their warranty.

It also weighs about 450lbs. Moving it around was a real treat. I put it in my storage container for a while and got it in there with a pry bar and muscle. I use a 3k winch to drag the pallet out of the container and over to the pad. I then used a big lever to move it an inch at a time on to the pad.