Red Solo Cup

Is there a red light camera in your town?

Yes, there is one at the intersection of Route 70 and Springdale Rd in Cherry Hill.

I am not sure of Cherry Hill's procedure, but I do know that the cameras in Blackwood require you to remain stopped for 5 seconds before you turn right on red, despite this not being in the statute.

There's one on RT18 in East Brunswick with more to come ,I understand.These things are going to multiply like a plague and just like in Europe, next will be the speed cams that were perfected to the point that it's now using GPS technology to compensate for drivers who are familiar with their locations and slow down between cams.I would be interested in our resident LEO's opinions on this matter.

My town doesn't yet but they are all over south jersey. I personally hate the things. In paulsboro the police have surveillance cameras on the streets known for drugs. The police watch em from the station. God forbid you actually have to drive down one of those roads. I worked with this old guy who lived on one of those streets since the dawn of time and I had to pick him up and drop him off one day because we were going to a class for work. Picking him up in the morning was fine but after I dropped him off in the afternoon you would have thought I was Pablo Escobar with how fast I had a cop on me.

Everyone should fight these tooth and nail. People have won and had them removed.

I agree. I have no problem with red light cameras in priniciple, but in practice they are unacceptable. The red light camera companies often include restrictions in their contracts that prohibit the municipality from increasing the duration of a yellow light despite solid evidence that doing so dramatically reduces violations. They recieve a significant portion of the fines collected, so profitability comes first over increased safety. In some areas, the traffic management comapnies have actually decreased the duration of the yellow to increase revenue.

I ride motorcycles and am all for finding a way to reduce the running of red lights. It's one of my biggest fears when on a bike. This is a money grab, pure and simple. Like so many other forms of "traffic enforcement", safety is at best a second thought. It's just the rallying cry used to sell these things on the public.

Brick has 2, and 2 more coming soon. The generated over a million bucks in the first year...

Almost half of it went to American Traffic Systems, the company that manages the cameras.

Edison has them on Route 1. Plainfield Ave, Prince St (near 287), and Ford ave intersections.

Woodbridge has them on Route 1. Woodbridge Center Drive, Green Street, and Avenel St intersections.

Linden has them on Route 1&9 at Stiles St and Wood ave intersections. Also on St George Ave & Stiles St intersection.

New Brunswick has one on Easton in front of St Peters Hospital.

I've seen that one but I've never seen it flash ever since the "trial period" ended. During the trial period it got me once (had a keg in the trunk and didn't want to slam on the brakes, lol) but I never saw a ticket.

I love the political bantor... "its not about the money generated, its about safety" ohhh yeah.. .then donate that money to a cause other then the town or PD piggy bank. See how many cameras pop up after that... The govt needs to stop reinventing ways to try to take my money from me.

There's one on RT18 in East Brunswick with more to come ,I understand.These things are going to multiply like a plague and just like in Europe, next will be the speed cams that were perfected to the point that it's now using GPS technology to compensate for drivers who are familiar with their locations and slow down between cams.I would be interested in our resident LEO's opinions on this matter.

Speed cams are big in AZ but as far as timing people between cams, I doubt that will happen, if they were thinking of doing that we would have had that done on the NJTP and GSP already being a lot of people have EzPass and that would be easy to compute average speed.

For anyone with a Garmin GPS there is the POI factory I think that what it's called, but for the red light and traffic cam file I think you need to be a paid member, however I hear they update their info frequently.

Now there is another that is great for the Garmin user and is free. and I hear they are pretty good also. Here is a link to their website if you want to check it out.

GPS Data Team

Phillipsburg has them on 22 at the intersection of New Brunswick Ave and County Rd 519. I live about a mile from the ones at 519 and at night when I walk the dog I see them lighting up the sky with the flashes.

A friend of mine was sent a picture and a ticket in the mail, and a link to a website where he could view the video of him rolling through the light.

My wife got a warning ticket in the mail from one of those cameras near the Menlo Park Mall....Said she didnt stop long enough on a right on red.

My nephew did the same thing at the one at the Deptford Mall. Cost him $80 or $85 for making the rolling right turn and not stopping all the way on red.

For anyone with a Garmin GPS there is the POI factory I think that what it's called, but for the red light and traffic cam file I think you need to be a paid member, however I hear they update their info frequently.

Now there is another that is great for the Garmin user and is free. and I hear they are pretty good also. Here is a link to their website if you want to check it out.

GPS Data Team

That is correct. I was a paid member server years ago, just to get access to that red-light camera POI. I've since stopped driving with my GPS installed all the time, so I never renewed my subscription. That sight has a bunch of POI files, like ones for speedtraps and other useful things. If you have a Garmin GPS, it's worth checking out.

Speed cams are big in AZ but as far as timing people between cams, I doubt that will happen, if they were thinking of doing that we would have had that done on the NJTP and GSP already being a lot of people have EzPass and that would be easy to compute average speed.

I got nailed twice on some trips back home,got off the first time because I sprayed the tags but years later I was not so lucky because they updated to digital cameras.