Red Solo Cup

Is there a red light camera in your town?

Edison has them on Route 1. Plainfield Ave, Prince St (near 287), and Ford ave intersections.

Woodbridge has them on Route 1. Woodbridge Center Drive, Green Street, and Avenel St intersections.

Linden has them on Route 1&9 at Stiles St and Wood ave intersections. Also on St George Ave & Stiles St intersection.

Also in the same area as these is in Rahway on rt. 1&9 and E. Milton ave. If your eyesight is good enough you can use the count down on the don't walk to know when it's coming. This one turns yellow at 5 seconds though and most of them that i've noticed turn yellow at zero. Drive this almost everyday that's how I know.

Also in the same area as these is in Rahway on rt. 1&9 and E. Milton ave. If your eyesight is good enough you can use the count down on the don't walk to know when it's coming. This one turns yellow at 5 seconds though and most of them that i've noticed turn yellow at zero. Drive this almost everyday that's how I know.

Oh yeah forgot about that one

we do not have any yet, but i have noticed three cameras road watching one on rt 72 and two on the parkway heading south just before the food and fuel in galloway twp ( Jimmie Leeds RD )..

All turn-only and other optional traffic signals are now controlled by cameras, instead of the induction loops they used to bury in the roadway. The camera is a very simple low-res unit, that just looks at the road where a car turning left (or whatever) would be moving. If the pixels change, there is a car and the light pattern will change accordingly. 95% of the cameras you see on traffic lights are for this purpose. There aren't that many red light cameras yet.

That said, if you get ticketed, you can almost always get it dismissed because of various procedural and technical problems. Most yellow lights are not timed correctly, and when they install red light cameras they often (illegally) shorten yellow light times. You can check this yourself, and if the yellow light is not timed correctly the town is required to dismiss all tickets issued under those conditions. Good time to join the NMA, National Motorists Association.

• Like 1

I've seen that one but I've never seen it flash ever since the "trial period" ended. During the trial period it got me once (had a keg in the trunk and didn't want to slam on the brakes, lol) but I never saw a ticket.

I drive through this intersection several times a week, and it's still flashing and (I presume) issuing tickets. Use caution through there.

Most of the cameras I have seen are for getting motorists rolling through the right on red.

There is a camera at the Morris Ave-Elmwood Ave intersection where Elmwood is more like a fork to the right. If ever there was a right on red you could do safely at 30 miles per hour this is it. But now there is a camera to generate revenue.

I am all for safety, I'm a cyclist, but red light cameras are BS.

There's one on RT18 in East Brunswick with more to come ,I understand.These things are going to multiply like a plague and just like in Europe, next will be the speed cams that were perfected to the point that it's now using GPS technology to compensate for drivers who are familiar with their locations and slow down between cams.I would be interested in our resident LEO's opinions on this matter.

IIRC photo radar was banned by the NJ legislature in the early 90's, so that law is going to have to be repealed before we see that here.

I get most of my local information from the Patch:

http://eastwindsor.p...ed-light-camera

According to Greeley, the red light traffic program was signed into law in 2008, but did not begin until last spring. He said that there is no data at this time to highlight its success or failure. Greeley said that 19 of 25 municipalities in the state who are in the program currently have the system running.

Personally I really don't have a problem with the lights. It drives me nuts when people whip around a corner making a right on red and don't even bother to stop. Cops can't be at every intersection at all times, so why not have cameras? Maybe people will think twice after getting a ticket or two. I'd rather see these put in to generate revenue then have my property taxes raised or anything. I know no money will come out of my pocket, I actually obey the law.

It's very interesting to go over to London and see the extent to which they can take the whole "camera" deal.

Of course their road system is a complete mess anyway.

It's very interesting to go over to London and see the extent to which they can take the whole "camera" deal.

Of course their road system is a complete mess anyway.

Learning to drive as a kid "on the correct side of the car" as the British would put it and dealing with roads that traditionally follow the meanderings of Cattle, I can understand your amusement and the overcrowded mess you encountered.Pair that with $8.00/gallon gas, outrageous insurance premiums and zoned tolls in larger cities and it's a wonder they drive at all much less speed.

I actually have started braking while the light is green at a known red light camera light (The one on Route 1 in Edison by the Parkway). That light has the countdown crosswalk so I could tell when it was going to change. It was the only way for me to safely brake at that light without slamming on my brakes.

The guy behind me must have wondered what the heck I was doing.

Yup! 10 cameras in Gloucester Township. They just raked in $2.5 Million in the first year and a half. And yes, I got dinged $85 while I was rushing to Shoprite after work one day! Damn you Shoprite!!!! That was one expensive baguette!!!

What amazed me about the UK was their highway engineering.

Instead of a cloverleaf at each exit along the motorway, there would be a small rotary (traffic circle) on either side of an interchange connected by a bridge (overpass) over the highway, with the connecting roads feeding into the rotary on either side.. It just seemed like an insane system.

Going for a drive was truly a dizzying experience from all the circles.

Not to mention the major highways into London were comparable to route 4 in Teaneck.

My Garmin has a neat feature in that it starts beeping when I approach an intersection with those cameras. Took me awhile to figure-out what the heck the beeping sounds were for.

My town only has a few traffic lights, no cameras on them.

I remember how big of a deal Brick was to get the on Rt 70.. I had no idea so many cropped up in the past two years. I reitterate my previous statement.. play it to me straight.. its about revenue and not safety. If you say its not about the revenue YOURE LIEING! Use the funds to break even and donate the remaining money to M.A.D.D. then.

What's funny is, when I was in S. Korea last year, every taxi has a GPS linked to its speedometer, and when they would exceed the speed limit, it would start beeping and flashing text in red letters. But I think the cab drivers knew there weren't any radar traps up highway 1 near the DMZ, one guy actually got the cab up to the equivalent of 100mph, it was in km/hr so I had to do the conversion in my head. I guess it was like 160 km/hr.

What's funny is, when I was in S. Korea last year, every taxi has a GPS linked to its speedometer, and when they would exceed the speed limit, it would start beeping and flashing text in red letters. But I think the cab drivers knew there weren't any radar traps up highway 1 near the DMZ, one guy actually got the cab up to the equivalent of 100mph, it was in km/hr so I had to do the conversion in my head. I guess it was like 160 km/hr.

It's exactly 160 kph

5 mph = 8 kph

Another ding against NJ for me. Are these things popping up like weeds in other states as well?

They are all over the place in AZ, surprising, but not too many are taken out with lets say precision rifles from a distance. There are some and I sure as heck would not ever want to be the person who gets caught doing that but it does happen.

Watch out what comes next, while you have fixed systems and you can get to know where red-light and speed camera systems are, out west they have mobile units that they move around all the time so you never know where one of these traps might be.