Sign in to follow this  
Twospot

Cross Eye Dominance

So I am righty but my left eye is dominant. With handguns it doesn't seem to be a big deal. However I can see it being an issue with rifles. Should I learn to shoot lefty or leave well enough alone?

I'm the same. However I dont suk at shooting rifles, dont compete and am too old and set in my ways for it to matter to me. Every now and then I get the itch to try it again but its not just swapping eyes, its your entire body posistion/instict and the awkwardness is more of a disadvantage for me than the supposed improvement.Just doesnt matter that much to me.I still hit 20+ clays outa 25 once a yr at Thunder Mt so cant be that bad.

I'm the same, left eye dominant, right handed. With rifles I squint the left eye a bit so the right takes over, though it can be fatiguing after awhile. Some competitive rifle shooters put an occlusive cover over their wrongly dominant eye to blurr it out , so they can shoot while keeping both eyes wide open. Its not good to close one eye to force the other to take over, it causes more fatigue with the eye muscles.

Pistols I don't have a problem with.

You can use a patch over your left eye.

This. When i took my hunter education course this was young kid there with the same problem. An NRA instructor came over and had him use both eyes but he covered the kids left eye with his hand and his sights lined right up. Just found out my younger brother is the same way put a piece of tape on his glasses over the left eye and now he sees fine.

chap stick over one lense works

i've seen people do a few layers of scotch tape over a lens. I've tried it, but I shoot better with my right eye completely closed.

I actually cannot even close just my left eye even if I wanted to , just cant do it.

I was told that if you totally block out the light of one of your eyes, it screws with some kind of eye-light regulation muscle that causes fatigue. Same person said you are better off occluding the eye, aka making it blurry or knocking out partial light entry.

I found shooting rifle and shotgun is easier lefty, hand gun I draw righty and bring the gun straight out in front of me until I can get site picture. I notice like others I have talked to that I used to shoot to the left a little, my solution was the stance I use now. If you need any help pm me more then happy to show yah what I found works