Sign in to follow this  
Kevlarburrito

Flintlock powder loads and ammo sizes

Hi again! Got two more questions for you all. Would appreciate any guidance you could provide so I don't blow myself up!

I've got a 2nd Model Land Pattern "Brown Bess" musket. The musket is .75 caliber, but I've heard that it's best to shoot smaller caliber rounds. I put in an order for .735 rounds, which I plan to make paper cartridges for. Can anyone recommend an ammunition size for me?

and

As to powder, I've heard two different things. One is that you should use two different types of powder, one to prim the pan, another to put in the barrel. The second is that it doesn't matter and you can use the same type of powder (in this case FFG) for both the barrel and the pan. Any tips from you more experienced gents and/or ladies?

Thanks!

I shoot .45cal cap and ball, .38spl, 44.40, .45acp metallic cartridge with black powder. That's my hands on experience.

I was always taught, and read, that FFFFg is used for the flash pan.

FFFg would be used for anything under .45cal

FFg would be used for anything over .45cal

As for Fg and 'Cannon' grade, not sure about that. I know, and have used both in 12g, gave big BOOM and big smiles, but velocity wasn't there for knockdown targets.

I have always found the folks at Track of the Wolf to be helpful and knowledgable regarding any questions I had.

I've been shooting / hunting with Flintlocks, rifles and smooth bores for over 25 yrs and am a NRA Cert Muzzle Loading Instructor, this my 21st year.

Rifles.............mostly .50cal. and .54cal round ball.

Smooth Bores...... .62cal / 20 ga., 72cal / 12ga., .75cal / 11ga.

Bottom line for me on average powder loads.....

50cal rifle....70 grs.....3f.

54cal rifle....90 grs.....2f.

62cal SB.....70grs......2f

72cal SB.....90 grs.....2f

75cal SB.....90grs......2f

You can prime the pan with the same powder as used for loading as I do ......no problem, no need to switch to 4f.

Touch hole should be drilled 3/32" dia.

You can use patch with round ball if desired or use larger diameter ball and rasp with files.......another technique I use for hunting....very accurate.

Hope that helps.......

They used a rendered mixture of bees wax and animal fat......if your going to shoot that Bess with a ball & patch you'll have to lube the patch first.....if your going to make cartridges, the paper will act as your wadding for the ball....no lube necessary.....and if your going to rasp larger balls no lube either....they even used wasp nest material and/ or even long grasses for wadding in a pinch....I personally like wasp nest material as it doesn't burn especially if I'm loading buckshot or bird shot depending on the game.

Once you bench the gun and try different loads.....ball, patch, powder combinations your gun will tell you what it wants you to shoot by the accuracy your obtaining with each....some barrels like loose fitting balls while other like'em tight.

Also, you can go to the fabric department in one of the local retail stores and purchase some cotton material in different thicknesses / pillow ticking for wadding....it's much cheaper than buying package wads......and better.....you can cut the size you need for ball and bore size.

Bees wax........Hmmmm......I been using bees wax for the past 20 yrs. as a seal around my frizzen while hunting on days where there is high humidity, drizzle, snow, rain ( also using a cow's knee over my lock) but bees wax is an unbelievale substance. Just load your Bess prime your pan, close your frizzen then run some bees wax along the seem at the frizzen and pan with your finger to make an air seal.....then place your frizzen cover on for safety and cow's knee over that if needed for inclement weather conditions.

My reccomendation to start with would be:

90 grs. 2f Goex Powder

.715 to .735 R.B.

Bed Sheet Material w/ Wonder Lube. or paper cartridge.

If you want to try Rasping.....use the .735 ball or .750 depending on your barrel diameter.

Get 2 heavy Bastard Files / Rasps.....lay one file flat on a table or board. Place the ball on it and the other file on top making a sandwich out of the ball. Move the top file in all directions whils appying pressure to the ball untill the entire ball is covered in rough deep dimples.....this will act like the Golf Ball effect and it is a very accurate method to use. No lube or wadding necessary, when you load the ball it should sit just within the muzzle of the gun without sliding down the barrell....the dimples will hold it there. It should just be eased down the barrel with the ram rod atop the powder charge where it will sit.

I use this method during hunting season as it is extemely easy to load quickly and is also extremely accurate.

I went to the local sporting goods store today and all they had was the blackpowder uhm...trying to think of the word...not imitation...(sorry I've been up for two days so my brain is running slow haha).. SUBSTITUTE that's the word...They only had black powder substitutes. I've heard that I should stay away from those for this particular firearm, so I didn't pick any up. They did have Bore Butter, which a friend had recommended for lubrication, for like $5 so I picked that up. The next closest store is up in Phillipsburg so I guess I will taking a drive up there tomorrow. The rest of my supplies should be coming in today. I order some cleaning supplies and tools as well as some pre-made balls (.735) from Track of the Wolf. So I should be good to go by the weekend! I'll look around for beeswax, I think they have some at the local crafts store. Thanks for the help by the way!

I would reccomend getting some spare flints for your Bess from TOW as well as some .715 balls too so you can try different loads.

I would also suggest you use Goex Powder.......no immitation stuff....please.

Also research how to Knapp your flints to keep them sharp.

Always clean you gun immediately after shooting as Black Powder is corrosive.......a clean gun is an accurate gun.

Any questions..........just ask.

I went to the local sporting goods store today and all they had was the blackpowder uhm...trying to think of the word...not imitation...(sorry I've been up for two days so my brain is running slow haha).. SUBSTITUTE that's the word...They only had black powder substitutes. I've heard that I should stay away from those for this particular firearm, so I didn't pick any up. They did have Bore Butter, which a friend had recommended for lubrication, for like $5 so I picked that up. The next closest store is up in Phillipsburg so I guess I will taking a drive up there tomorrow. The rest of my supplies should be coming in today. I order some cleaning supplies and tools as well as some pre-made balls (.735) from Track of the Wolf. So I should be good to go by the weekend! I'll look around for beeswax, I think they have some at the local crafts store. Thanks for the help by the way!

Good luck finding real black in NJ. Our crappy state makes anyone selling it get a license from the mining regulators and they need to have a bunker to store it in. You may need to go to PA or get it mail order.

Yeah I've had crap for luck so far in finding ANY powder around here. Luckily I"m not far from PA, just across the river. So, I'm going to take a trip over and see what I can find....probably this weekend. My money is pretty tight right now...nobody wants to hire this disabled combat vet, so I have to live off of disability....so I may just put off firing all together until I get paid again.

Check out Dixon Muzzleloading Shop in Kempton, Pa..great Place for blackpowder stuff etc..I've been there few times..nice big store..owner is nice guy..and I believe a champion shooter

• Like 1

Yeah I've had crap for luck so far in finding ANY powder around here. Luckily I"m not far from PA, just across the river. So, I'm going to take a trip over and see what I can find....probably this weekend. My money is pretty tight right now...nobody wants to hire this disabled combat vet, so I have to live off of disability....so I may just put off firing all together until I get paid again.

If you're looking for real black, Solomon's in Farmingdale carries GOEX. Bought some last year at $16 per pound.

EH Solomons,

142 Yellow Brook Rd,

Farmingdale, NJ 07727

Tues & Wed & Fri 6:30 PM to 9:00

Sun 1:00PM-4:00PM

(732) 938-2189

Odd ball hours.

Dixon's Muzzleloading has real black to, but GOEX is $22 per pound, and SWISS is $30 per pound. I've never found any BP subs for less than $20 per pound, so I stay with the real stuff 99% of the time.

Check out Dixon Muzzleloading Shop in Kempton, Pa..great Place for blackpowder stuff etc..I've been there few times..nice big store..owner is nice guy..and I believe a champion shooter

Are you talking about the grouchy old man? I do know that the guy with the glasses and moustache is always helpful.

Another vote for Dixon's! And to make the trip even more worth-while, check out Dietrich's Meats which is just off of the same exit (#40) on Rt. 78. Nice Winery down the road too! And then Cabela's is only 11 miles down Rt. 78 West at Exit #29!

Try a cleaning patch lubed with spit to patch that .715. I use this for my 10 ga. shotgun when shooting round ball. I use an overpowder card or a 10 ga. lubed wonderwad directly on top of the powder, then the spit patch with the ball. Experiment to see which combo shoots to point of aim with your gun.

If you want to get into a Black Powder League, you can come to Old Bridge and shoot for a walk-on fee of only $20 and that covers the entire day, including the Pistol Shoot which is held immediately prior to the Rifle Shoot. Our League gets Black Powder shipped by the case for $16 a can.

So let me know.......

Dave