rdsmith3

Dyson vacuum

In recent months I have purchased a Remington 870, Walther PPQ, lights, ammo, gun cabinet, cleaning kits, more ammo, range membership, more ammo, targets, ammo cases, magazines, eye protection, ear protection, and so on. You get the picture. You understand.

The other day, my wife mentioned that we need a new vacuum. We were looking at Sears. She really liked the $600 Dyson DC41. What! A vacuum costs $600?! She did slyly mention that we should get a good quality one, just like I would get a good quality gun.

So, anyone have any experience with these? Are they really worth the $? We do have a good sized house with three kids and three pets.

I have a dyson. I love it. Seriously. I'm not sure it's worth quite the high price tag, but the thing cleans VERY well. I have 4 cats and use it to clean the cat trees and vacuum the carpets - it's amazing the amount of dirt this thing picks up.

we've had ours for a couple years now, it's never given me a problem, and although it's mostly plastic, the quality is very good.

Check the weight of anything you buy, as lugging them around is half the battle. Especially if you have multi-levels. I looked at a lot of the fancy vacs including Dysons.

We decided on the Hoover Platinum, replacing an Oreck we had for 7 years. Lightweight, powerful, sucks up the dog hair no problems, and did I say its light? It doesn't have hose attachements on the main vac, but does include a very handy small canister with all of the attachements. I prefer this arrangement, as its much easier to do stairs and small places, then lugging the main vac around with a hose. I owned an Oreck XL for years, and I think this vacuum is better at 1/3rd the price.

Oh and its only $212. Uses bags so order extra if you do buy it. The bags are inexpensive, last a long time, and are thick high quality filtering types.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Platinum-Lightweight-Canister-UH30010COM/dp/B001PB8EEM

I would never pay that for a vacuum....I have had the the older model of the Shark Navigator for a few years and it works great for $200! I have a 14 year olD German Shepherd that shed like crazy too.

I would never pay that for a vacuum....I have had the the older model of the Shark Navigator for a few years and it works great for $200! I have a 14 year olD German Shepherd that shed like crazy too.

But thats akin to your wife telling you why pay $1500 on a rifle... that $350 one shoots bullets too. I see the point for going that route.. the vacuum has good reviews, but more importantly.. it gives your wife one less reason to **** about you spending soo much money on guns and she gets nothing in return.. Dyson is like a female status symbol like owning coach bags.

But thats akin to your wife telling you why pay $1500 on a rifle... that $350 one shoots bullets too. I see the point for going that route.. the vacuum has good reviews, but more importantly.. it gives your wife one less reason to **** about you spending soo much money on guns and she gets nothing in return.. Dyson is like a female status symbol like owning coach bags.

Lol I haven't heard that one before. My wife will take a new Dooney Bourke pocket book or some jewelery over a vacuum anyday. ;)

In recent months I have purchased a Remington 870, Walther PPQ, lights, ammo, gun cabinet, cleaning kits, more ammo, range membership, more ammo, targets, ammo cases, magazines, eye protection, ear protection, and so on. You get the picture. You understand.

The other day, my wife mentioned that we need a new vacuum. We were looking at Sears. She really liked the $600 Dyson DC41. What! A vacuum costs $600?! She did slyly mention that we should get a good quality one, just like I would get a good quality gun.

So, anyone have any experience with these? Are they really worth the $? We do have a good sized house with three kids and three pets.

If you ever want to buy what ever gun you want again, let her buy what ever vacuum she wants, make life simple for yourself and don't offer any resistance at all!!!!

I bought one of these for my mom. She doesn't use it. Says it sucks too hard. Go figure. :-)

With 3 dogs we love our Dyson Animal model but it requires a regular cleanout of the filter compartment as well as the hair which accumulates around the belt drive for the beater brush.

My wife and I got a Dyson as a wedding gift when we got married about 7 yrs ago... and I remember at the time thinking "WTF, $500 for a vacuum??? That's insanse!!!" Well, after 7 years that vacuum has taken such a beating and it still works just as good as the day we got it and still has the same suction it had when it was new. I've totally abused it too... I've used it to suck up everthing from tons of spackle dust when I was doing work on my house, to just regular vacuuming of the carpets in the house and the thing is just a beast. After all that, I have to say that they are worth the money! Also, it doesn't use bags and they easy to maintain.

We have the Dyson Animal whatever too. It is superior for pet hair pick up ..we have a 130 pound dog and a 90 pound dog. And they are both heavy shedders. I always had German Shepherds , and I was recently educated to the fact that English Mastiffs shed more. Did.Not.Know.That.

I don't think I would have paid that if not for the daily dog hair carpet I have to suck up.

I also agree that if you don't let her spend what she wants on a high end household item , you'll pay for it in spades next time you want another gun .

Fortunately my husband and both tend to want to overspend on the same things. We got a great deal at Costco on the Dyson.

My wife and I got a rescue terrier (?) mix that sheds constantly. She has white fur which shows up well on our grey carpet. Using an Oreck we could still find her fur. I bought the older Dyson (animal without the ball) several years ago. IIRC it cost about $400 at the PX then about $600 in the stores. Did the vacuum with the Oreck followed by the Dyson which made it seem the Oreck didn't pick up anything.

There is nothing better to clean up after our furry friends than the Dyson Animal.

I have a Mele. I paid probably $800 for everything back in the early 2000s.

It kicks the crap outta dirt. Without a doubt, the most powerful vac I've ever owned. Has a true HEPA system, not just a HEPA filter. I think it's the only true HEPA vac.

If you are sleeping in the bedroom I can vac in the hallway and it will not wake you up. If I live in an appartment I can vac at 0300 AM. I can vac in the bedroom while you are sleeping and it will probably wake you but won't startle you and you can then sleep through it. It's amazingly quiet.

I was using uprights for 10 years before I got this one and let me tell you, my Mele vac is a serious PITA to move from room to room while vacuuming. I don't know if it's because it's a canister vac (my only experience since I was a kid) or there is something about my model. But it loves to run into walls if you pull it anywhere near a corner by the hose. Also, I have to put the hose/handle on the floor if I want to do something, and pick it up later, unlike an upright. It has a spot to hook the tube to the canister but that's just not a convenient operation while working with it.

I use an Oreck vaccmum. Their about teh same as a dyson but right now their online site has a 50% off sale. I don't have pets but I have no complaints whenever I use it, and the one I have feels very lite. And there are a couple shops in NWNJ

http://www.oreck.com/Special-Offers-from-Oreck

Lol I haven't heard that one before. My wife will take a new Dooney Bourke pocket book or some jewelery over a vacuum anyday. ;)

Ha ha. So true. My wife has one of those purses, too. She anticipated my argument by pre-emptively mentioning the guns and accessories.

Really, I have no problem with getting the vacuum, but I just don't want to spend a lot of money on a high-priced piece of plastic that won't last very long. I expect that my Remington and Walther will be handed down to my kids some day.

Just to add a lil more; when and if a dyson fails or breaks and most dyson owners will tell you if your vac is registered they actually send a tech to your home to fix it you dont have to go anywhere!

I got one. Yes, they are worth the money. However some of them are stupidly designed and you do not want them.

In specific, you don't want the ones with a motorized beater bar. (current new production those are the DC33 and DC28) Smartly, they ahve a clutch mechanism so obstructions don't break the thing. But the suction is so great that large area rugs and short pile wall to wall will set off the clutch making a horrendous noise. I got one of the previous iterations of this refurbed for $179, and even on my 9x11 area rug, it will start have issues. Also at issue with the motorized beater bar models is that they are THICK up front, and can have trouble reaching under toe kicks and furniture.

I can say that the things have wicked suction, and will drive air-turbine accessories at a ridculous speed with some decent torque. I took the air-turbine based stair attachment form my hoover (on which it would cease spinning when it touched basically anything with a gentle touch), and I couldn't stop it spinning against any surface.

It gets TONS of crud out of the carpet my hoover wouldn't, but you do have to respect the MAX line on the cannister. Fill it above that and you can clog the vortex thingy and make it fail to work right in a manner that will require a detailed disassembly of it or a trip back to the mothership for repairs. It's pre-filter and post-filter arrangement makes a hell of a lot more sense than the competitors IMO, and seems to cut down on emitted dust much better (i.e. on the other hepa filtered vacs I've used, you can see dust streaks eminating from particular areas after some use, not so with this one).

When my cheapie refurb dies, I will replace it with one of the lighter air turbine models.

I use an Oreck vaccmum. Their about teh same as a dyson but right now their online site has a 50% off sale. I don't have pets but I have no complaints whenever I use it, and the one I have feels very lite. And there are a couple shops in NWNJ

http://www.oreck.com...fers-from-Oreck

They aren't like the dyson. My mom keeps on buying anything but the dyson and has been through msot of the novelty models and two orecks. I'd rather buy my hoover (which I hate) again rather than the orecks. They are light... that is ALL they have going for them.