Wharton1997

Beretta 92fs question

I've been shooting my new 92fs for about a week now. Strangely it is now always shooting single action without the first double action pull. All other 92fs I have shot have a double action first pull.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Mike

I've been shooting my new 92fs for about a week now. Strangely it is now always shooting single action without the first double action pull. All other 92fs I have shot have a double action first pull.

Thanks

Mike

The safety was on when you used the other 92s.

You have the safety off on your gun.

If the safety is on and you rack the slide the hammer falls to DA mode.

If the safety is off and you rack the slide the hammer stays back in SA mode.

• Like 1

The safety was on when you used the other 92s.

You have the safety off on your gun.

If the safety is on and you rack the slide the hammer falls to DA mode.

If the safety is off and you rack the slide the hammer stays back in SA mode.

This

• Like 1

the decocker might be broken. this actually just recently happened to my 92fs. if i rack the slide, the hammer will always stay back, safety on or not. if the hammer is back and i flip the decocker to safe, the hammer stays back. its almost like i have a single action 92.

when the safety is on, the firing pin is disengaged so in no way has this made the gun unsafe which is why i still havent gotten around to fixing it.

I rarely use the safety on my 92fs if it is just me. Treating all guns as if they will blow at any second is always the idea, the business end is always away and down range and I have a firm grip going into battery, finger off trigger. I'm always in single at that point.

Familiarize yourself with firearms. When you rack the slide, it cocks the weapon. I dont know any DA/SA gun that doesnt do this unless it has a safety/decocker and it is on. You should have recognized that the hammer is cocked regardless of what ever weapon you are using. Live and learn. Not a costly mistake if you are safe, but kinda a kick in the pants when you realize whats going on. The manual does cover the safety and decocker.

the decocker might be broken. this actually just recently happened to my 92fs. if i rack the slide, the hammer will always stay back, safety on or not. if the hammer is back and i flip the decocker to safe, the hammer stays back. its almost like i have a single action 92.

when the safety is on, the firing pin is disengaged so in no way has this made the gun unsafe which is why i still havent gotten around to fixing it.

Honestly, im not a huge fan of the decocker, i would just leave it broken... or fixed...depends how you look at it. lol. I would however make sure that what ever part broke doesnt effect the reliability of the gun. And the 92 has a 2 stage safety, the firing pin is disengaged and the trigger is disengaged. The decocking mech requires the firing pin to be disengaged or else the gun would discharge when the hammer falls, which to me is an big indication as to why the saftey is located where it is.

Vlad -- I absolutely read my manual cover to cover and then read again when this occurred and could not find the answer, hence, my question to te forum

I really don't mean to be rude but I would then recommend obtaining some schooling on the use of your firearm. In the meanwhile based on the manual found here http://www.berettaweb.com/Munuals/Beretta_SERIE92.pdf I would say pay particular attention to Page 10 section labeled General Operation, Page 12, second paragraph, and the entire page 13.

If your firearm behaves differently then described, stop and call the manufacturer, although I suspect the firearm is fine and you are not fully familiar with the DA/SA system as implemented by the 92FS

I really don't mean to be rude but I would then recommend obtaining some schooling on the use of your firearm. In the meanwhile based on the manual found here http://www.berettawe...tta_SERIE92.pdf I would say pay particular attention to Page 10 section labeled General Operation, Page 12, second paragraph, and the entire page 13.

If your firearm behaves differently then described, stop and call the manufacturer, although I suspect the firearm is fine and you are not fully familiar with the DA/SA system as implemented by the 92FS

Vlad - You stated your answer in a very polite fashion. Good for you! I must learn to be as patient as you.

If the pistol was purchased from a dealer The dealer should really explain the operation. That's part of his job as I see it.

If purchased from a private individual it would only have been courteous to explain the operation.

All - Please remember to familiarize the purchaser with the firearm when you sell one. Think how bad you would feel if someone got injured with a firearm you sold them.

I like how a bunch of people basically tell him he doesnt know how to use his firearm because he asks a question. There may be a problem with his decocker as shooter says. Isn't the point of the forum to ask questions?

Absolutely, better ask a question no matter what rather than get yourself hurt, however I think some of the previous poster believed it may have been more of a problem with the operation of the firearm rather than an actual mechanical issue. Remember it's sometimes hard to diagnose a problem over the internet. I don't think anyone really meant any disrespect.

Absolutely, better ask a question no matter what rather than get yourself hurt, however I think some of the previous poster believed it may have been more of a problem with the operation of the firearm rather than an actual mechanical issue. Remember it's sometimes hard to diagnose a problem over the internet. I don't think anyone really meant any disrespect.

Asking questions and getting responses like read the manual or take a class on how to use your gun wont really help someone utilize this forum. Especially one with four posts. Why bother asking anything else. Some people asked some probing questions or gave legitimate (obvious) solutions which could've helped this person.

Asking questions and getting responses like read the manual or take a class on how to use your gun wont really help someone utilize this forum. Especially one with four posts. Why bother asking anything else. Some people asked some probing questions or gave legitimate (obvious) solutions which could've helped this person.

Oh I agree, however like I said, I really don't think anyone really meant disrespect. I know if I was familiar with the gun I would have added the proper conditions of the gun and how to get to each, but I am not. An now that you mention it, it would be nice to see that for all of us you may not know this guns particular operating procedures. :icon_mrgreen:

Oh I agree, however like I said, I really don't think anyone really meant disrespect. I know if I was familiar with the gun I would have added the proper conditions of the gun and how to get to each, but I am not. An now that you mention it, it would be nice to see that for all of us you may not know this guns particular operating procedures. :icon_mrgreen:

I don't think anyone meant it, but without any kind of inflection on the internet it can be taken as condescending. Just saying why chase off a new member.

I have an M9 which is more or less the same as a 92fs and the only things I can think of being the problem is:

1. He is reloading with an open slide, closing it, and starts shooting. The hammer will be cocked.

2. He is reloading with closed chamber, safety off. After racking the slide and chambering round it cocks the hammer.

3. If he has the safety on and the hammer still stays cocked after slide comes forward (like shooter said) That would be a mechanical problem.

So are you engaging the safety after each reload Wharton?

I don't believe that trying to diagnose a problem over the internet for a shooter which may or may not be familiar with the operation of the handgun they are handling is a safe or responsible thing to do. Either the firearm operates according to the manual, which is why I pointed out the specific sections describing the operation of the firearm, or it doesn't in which case the next call should be to the manufacturer. If the firearm is operating according to the manual, then I believe the shooter is not familiar with its operation and should seek some training of some sort.

Assuming anything else is not doing the owner a service and may be dangerous in the long run. Not knowing how the firearm operates is not a black mark upon the owner, no one is born knowing these things, but if the manual is not helpful in explaining the basic operation of the handgun, internet advice may not be the solution.

I'm sorry you think I was dismissive, but it sounds to me like the OP does not understand the functional mechanics of the safety on his firearm (after reading the manual cover to cover) OR has a broken firearm. In the first case the answer is STOP and seek training, in the second it is STOP and call the manufacturer. You can take that as dismissive if you wish, I intend it as the most expedient way to prevent and injury.

To me it sounds like he's used this platform before with no issues. You may be correct but without making an effort wed never know. Plenty of advice on gunsmithing and reloading is given here, with potentially disastrous results. Should we delete those forums?

I really don't think you meant to be disrespectful, but just trying to show you how you may come across to a new member.

no one is being disrespectuful. Sometimes you have to be a strait forward with cases like this. based on the question it seemed the op was either lacking serious details or just simply has no idea how the firearm works. he shouldn't take t as us being mean. But rather our interest in him learning how it workd. If you can't determine that a firearm is cocked then I wouldn't want u shooting next to me. But I would of course and have offered the knowledge to him so he can learn. I'm glad he asked eitherway. I would rather inform him on the functions of his weapon and educate him the let it go unadressed.

Thanks

Mike

Describe in better detail exactly what you are doing.

I have a 92FS and a 96FS, they can not shoot unless the slide has been racked to put the hammer back and load the firing pin.

If you take your EMPTY GUN, NOTHING IN THE CHAMBER, EMPTY MAG, pull the slide back with the safety off the slide should stay there and the hammer should remain cocked. Flick the safetey/decocker and slide will go forwards and hammer will go down.

Describe in better detail exactly what you are doing.

I have a 92FS and a 96FS, they can not shoot unless the slide has been racked to put the hammer back and load the firing pin.

If you take your EMPTY GUN, NOTHING IN THE CHAMBER, EMPTY MAG, pull the slide back with the safety off the slide should stay there and the hammer should remain cocked. Flick the safetey/decocker and slide will go forwards and hammer will go down.

Your slide will go forward when you flip the safety on? I don't think it's supposed to do that. The only way to get the slide to go forward from lock-back is to depress the slide lock lever because the follower in the mag is holding it up. The only thing the safety/decocker does is rotate the firing pin block and disengage the sear from the hammer, which when the slide is back it isn't near the sear.